Is there a good substance (psychedelic) to aid in reaching a hard jhana

Matthew Jon Rousseau, modified 4 Years ago at 11/11/19 7:25 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/11/19 7:16 PM

Is there a good substance (psychedelic) to aid in reaching a hard jhana

I've been meditating for a while now and  cant seem to achieve  1st jhana . I'm building momentum  though . I am wandering if adding low dose lsd or shrooms could put me through. Then I could continue without the aid of the sub stance. I have experience with psychedelics from years ago but it was a party thing.  Or would doing this just make concentration worse than  before. 
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 4 Years ago at 11/11/19 8:47 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/11/19 8:47 PM

RE: Is there a good substance (psychedelic) to aid in reaching a hard jhana

1) Insight meditation is the only important thing (Mahasi Noting, Vipassana Body Scanning)

2) The goal is to travel the path for enlightenment. Jhana is just a cute thing that happens along the way.  Get far along the path and they will happen automatically.
Matthew Jon Rousseau, modified 4 Years ago at 11/11/19 9:10 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/11/19 9:10 PM

Bailey .:
1) Insight meditation is the only important thing (Mahasi Noting, Vipassana Body Scanning)

2) The goal is to travel the path for enlightenment. Jhana is just a cute thing that happens along the way.  Get far along the path and they will happen automatically.

I want to learn both jhana and vipasana. I just ordered mahsis  book. Practic insight meditation. I will start insight soon. Butt I feel I'm close to jhana. Ajahn brahm believes jhanas are the essential  start
sloane, modified 4 Years ago at 11/11/19 10:49 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/11/19 10:49 PM

I don't know that reaching jhana with chemical assistance would help reach it without (it might) but I definitely wouldn't use lsd or shrooms for concentration purposes. If anything, I'd consider something GABAergic, like passionflower at a moderate dose (and not if you tend toward dullness). Alternatively, something that stabilizes the brain, like neurontin might be interesting to experiment with. 
thumbnail
Dustin, modified 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 6:56 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 6:56 PM

Matthew Jon Rousseau:
I've been meditating for a while now and  cant seem to achieve  1st jhana . I'm building momentum  though . I am wandering if adding low dose lsd or shrooms could put me through. Then I could continue without the aid of the sub stance. I have experience with psychedelics from years ago but it was a party thing.  Or would doing this just make concentration worse than  before. 
How long are your formal sits? I saw in another post of yours you were saying you couldn't reach jhana so I was wondering how much practice time you had going. 
Matthew Jon Rousseau, modified 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 7:11 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 7:11 PM

Generally  1 hour sit every evening. 20 minute sit before  work. On sat and Sunday.  I do 3,1 hour sits ... by the way if I do 2 of the 1 hour sits relatively  close  together (within an hour and  a half).   The second  of the 2 is where I get the most relaxation and focus... perhaps.  I need to do more sits a day. Perhaps 3 or four. And shorten the sits to about 40 minutes.    But would a low dose of shrooms or lsd(microdese). Help. If I try this maybe once a month....just curious.  
thumbnail
Mista Tibbs, modified 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 8:05 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 8:05 PM

RE: Is there a good substance (psychedelic) to aid in reaching a hard jhana (Answer)

By hard jhana you mean what exactly?

This is based on my personal observations along with tripsitting friends.
Marijuana can take you anywhere from access concentration to infinite awareness it's probably the weakest psychedelic and its misappropriated heavily.
A low dose of mushrooms can take you to access concentration while a high dose can project you to the arising and passing.
acid & lsd can take you to fruition/breakthrough/awakening only if you don't follow the hallucinations. High doses can show you the cessation of perception.
Ayahuasca dominates the feminine energies. This can take you to the "formless realms"
Ibogaine controls the masculine aspects. This is if you want to touch upon "pure consciousness" 

In my opinion, If these are to be incorporated into practice, it should only ever be done once. The source of creation is within us and a point of meditation is to realize this power. By using psychedelics, deprivation tanks, binaural beats, etc you are outsourcing internal questions through external means. Doing this regularly might make your experiences more profound immediately but in the long run it would probably mitigate your meditation.
thumbnail
Dustin, modified 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 8:53 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 8:53 PM

Man I'm not sure if the psychedelics will help or not. I was just interested in the time you were putting in to try to get 1st jhana. I also really don't know much about the concentration side of meditation when it comes to jhanas. I practice mostly Mahasi noting. My experience for getting a lot of clarity in the insight stages was going on a 3 day retreat and then having the momentum after retreat to keep up a 2 hour a day practice. I was doing 30 minutes day and 30 night before the retreat and couldn't really gain a lot of clarity. Maybe you could try a retreat to gain 1st jhana. I would suggest letting go of the desire to get jhana and just practice for a little while and see if that doesn't help(maybe easier said than done). I was in some dark territory for a couple of months and wanted out so bad that the wanting out made the situation worse. When I finally let go of getting anywhere I came out of the darkness. Just a thought. 
Matthew Jon Rousseau, modified 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 9:05 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/12/19 9:05 PM

Thank you mr tibs and Dustin.                 Your telling me what I kind of know. Deep down.....MEDITATE MORE ,and do the work

Breadcrumb