‘Noise’ in the Brain Encodes Surprisingly Important Signals

thumbnail
Ethan, modified 4 Years ago at 11/13/19 7:17 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/13/19 7:17 AM

I thought this helps to explain the importance of stillness in meditation and why the mind does calm down when the body is still. I'm sure others who have gone deeper might have other thoughts!

[I know I need to introduce myself; I'll do that when I get around to asking one of the many questions I have.]
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 11/13/19 10:03 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/13/19 10:03 AM

RE: ‘Noise’ in the Brain Encodes Surprisingly Important Signals

I suspect that along with the obvious known unknowns we have in regard to the human brain there are even more, and more significant, unknown unknowns.

JMHO
thumbnail
Mista Tibbs, modified 4 Years ago at 11/13/19 11:27 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/13/19 11:27 PM

Yes and that is why some choose a single posture and spend their lives perfecting it. When the mind remains absolutely still, the boundaries of sensation can expand outwards.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 11/14/19 1:25 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/14/19 1:25 AM

It felt really validating to read that article. I have been trying to explain to people for a long time that so much of my thinking is kinesthetic, especially in daily life when I move about. I have been unusually aware of that kind of processing, probably because since I have Tourette's syndrome my basal gangliae do not filter out that kind of processing very effectively, and people didn't seem to believe it possible for movement to be such a central part of one's cognition. 

Breadcrumb