Brodmann area 25

This Good Self, modified 13 Years ago at 4/20/11 5:46 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/20/11 5:14 AM

Brodmann area 25

Part of the brain in the subcallosal area, called Brodmann 25, after the guy who named it. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray727-Brodman.png

wikipedia: "One study has noted that BA25 is metabolically overactive in treatment-resistant depression and has found that chronic deep brain stimulation in the white matter adjacent to the area is a successful treatment for some patients.[4] A different study found that metabolic hyperactivity in this area is associated with poor therapeutic response of persons with Major Depressive Disorder to cognitive-behavioral therapy and venlafaxine"...."This region is extremely rich in serotonin transporters and is considered as a governor for a vast network involving areas like hypothalamus and brain stem, which influences changes in appetite and sleep; the amygdala and insula, which affect the mood and anxiety; the hippocampus, which plays an important role in memory formation; and some parts of the frontal cortex responsible for self-esteem".

I found that if I focus on this spot I feel a bit different, in a good way. Can someone try this and tell me what happens for them?

I draw a line in from the inner part of the left eye and stop about 10 cm in. Not sure if that is accurate but looks about right.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 4/20/11 8:43 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/20/11 8:43 AM

RE: Brodmann area 25

C C C:
Part of the brain in the subcallosal area, called Brodmann 25, after the guy who named it. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray727-Brodman.png

wikipedia: "One study has noted that BA25 is metabolically overactive in treatment-resistant depression and has found that chronic deep brain stimulation in the white matter adjacent to the area is a successful treatment for some patients.[4] A different study found that metabolic hyperactivity in this area is associated with poor therapeutic response of persons with Major Depressive Disorder to cognitive-behavioral therapy and venlafaxine"...."This region is extremely rich in serotonin transporters and is considered as a governor for a vast network involving areas like hypothalamus and brain stem, which influences changes in appetite and sleep; the amygdala and insula, which affect the mood and anxiety; the hippocampus, which plays an important role in memory formation; and some parts of the frontal cortex responsible for self-esteem".

I found that if I focus on this spot I feel a bit different, in a good way. Can someone try this and tell me what happens for them?

I draw a line in from the inner part of the left eye and stop about 10 cm in. Not sure if that is accurate but looks about right.

i tried it for a few seconds but i dont want to strain too much focusing on that area.

i did notice, though, that if i just make a forced smile and keep it going (make sure the tips of your lips stay smilling, too) that i can actually feel the endorphins or whatever being released by my body. they seem to start in my chest area and they work their way up to my head. if i keep it up enough, i'll even start yawning, which is apparently a symptom of changes in the seratonin-related processes in your brain (it also happens when you're coming up when rolling and when you're doing down, if you had high-quality stuff). might be an easy way to feel better!

i did notice that if you stop and make no more effort to maintain the better 'mood' or whatnot, there's a bit of a comedown as it fades
This Good Self, modified 13 Years ago at 4/20/11 8:31 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/20/11 8:30 PM

RE: Brodmann area 25

Thanks for experimenting Beo.

Could just be my expectation/placebo, however I feel a lot more comfortable focusing in on the left than the right side of my brain. Almost like I could rest my attention there without too much effort at all.

Breadcrumb