New Interview w/ Dhammarato

thumbnail
Steve James, modified 4 Years ago at 12/18/19 4:18 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/18/19 4:18 PM

New Interview w/ Dhammarato

Hi everyone,

I don't think Dhammarato is discussed much on here but in this interview he gives his take on the Pragmatic Dharma movement and oft-discussed topics like stream entry, arhatship, and a lot of other interesting stuff.

Hope you enjoy :-) 

https://www.guruviking.com/ep20-dhammarato/
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 4 Years ago at 12/18/19 6:57 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/18/19 6:57 PM

RE: New Interview w/ Dhammarato

Steve James:
Hi everyone,

I don't think Dhammarato is discussed much on here but in this interview he gives his take on the Pragmatic Dharma movement and oft-discussed topics like stream entry, arhatship, and a lot of other interesting stuff.

Hope you enjoy :-) 

https://www.guruviking.com/ep20-dhammarato/

Thank you for this interview. I enjoyed most of it. He seems to be a good wise crazy guy :-) .
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 4 Years ago at 12/18/19 7:40 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/18/19 7:40 PM

Thanks for this.  Also thanks in general for continuing to ask such investigative & revealing questions.  Lots of inspiring content.
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 4 Years ago at 12/19/19 12:31 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/19/19 12:31 PM

Thanks Steve, that was fantastic.  Favourite line: "There's got to be a pony somewhere in that pile of horseshit"

Malcolm
thumbnail
Nick O, modified 4 Years ago at 12/20/19 6:16 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/20/19 6:16 PM

Great interview. It seems he's rocked the boat a bit online with religious Buddhists and pragmatic practitioners alike which has been entertaining to observe. 

In my opinion and experience, he's very helpful for the practitioner who has been through the insight stages a couple times but is disillusioned or uninspired with their practice. Upon your first meeting, he's unlikely to comment or be impressed by any of your experiences or self-proclaimed attainments. As shown in the interview, he won't touch the insight maps or four path model with a ten foot pole. He treats you like a beginner and any pride you have regarding your knowledge, attainments or abilities will stick out like a sore sankhara! After you get over yourself, he'll reveal the power and benefits of your own practice that you'd been glossing over while lusting for further attainment. 

This is a teacher who has been in the same Thai Forest lineage for 35 years, most of which spent as a monk. Now as a layperson, glowing joyfully with the benefits of his practice, he has the compassion and conviction in these teachings to offer all of his time to freely share them with whoever will call him. 

One may not agree with Dhammarato on every point, but I couldn't recommend him enough.   
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 12/21/19 4:51 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/21/19 4:51 PM

Great interview. I liked his comparison with shaving - how you won't stay shaved once and for all, but you might get really good at shaving.
thumbnail
Steve James, modified 4 Years ago at 12/21/19 5:10 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/21/19 5:10 PM

curious:
Thanks Steve, that was fantastic.  Favourite line: "There's got to be a pony somewhere in that pile of horseshit"

Malcolm

Haha, such a great line!
thumbnail
Steve James, modified 4 Years ago at 12/23/19 6:35 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/23/19 6:35 PM

Thanks for checking it out everyone, glad you enjoyed it!
shargrol, modified 4 Years ago at 12/28/19 9:40 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/24/19 5:50 AM

Lot of good stuff in there. You asked some good questions Steve. Dhammarato gave some good answers, some of the kinda hidden in a pile of laughter, so I hope folks are listening carefully. emoticon

I'm realizing that it is very very easy to say that "practical dharma" say this, "dhammarato" says that, "shargrol" says another thing, "the Visuddhimagga" say yet another thing... and to assume that there must be some epic dharma battle occuring... yet all that is happening is that people are taking pieces of what people/books say and kinda glossing over the context and subtlty.

I think Dhammarato's super-mundane dhama isn't radically different than practical dharma... but that's what "shargrol" says emoticon
thumbnail
Nick O, modified 4 Years ago at 12/24/19 7:54 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/24/19 7:54 AM

shargrol:

I think Dhammarato's super-mundain dhama isn't radically different that practical dharma... but that's what "shargrol" says emoticon
You're right, they're not radically different. They are in fact greatly compatible. Both are practical, non-religious and look for the "pony in the pile of horseshit".

Supra-mundane Dhamma's emphasis on cultivation of joy and using it as motivation to clear out suffering-inducing identity and thought patterns has just been another practice added to the "practical dharma" tool kit.    

Breadcrumb