Working with the Throat

Z , modified 4 Years ago at 1/15/20 4:49 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/15/20 4:49 PM

Working with the Throat

I'm looking for suggetions on working with the throat area that others have found helpful and healing. 

In recent weeks my practice has begun to center around the area of the throat, shoulders and upper torso. This focus began one day while sitting-- suddenly there was a pleasant release in the crown and brow area and my attention seemed to "telescope" down from the head into the neck region. Now, whenever I'm sitting or relaxed in daily life, attention will often want to rest there. 

In this area there is ongoing, tight, muscular contraction, like being choked or a sense that the neck is throttling the amount of breath that can go between the head and the chest area. It is quite painful at times, especially in the area at the base of the chin. 

I've found that chanting the seed mantras for the different chakras (Solar Plexus, Heart, Throat, Brow especially) in sequence can bring a sense of ease and flow to these areas. Certain yoga postures also seem to help. Any other recommedations? 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 1/16/20 5:44 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/16/20 5:44 AM

RE: Working with the Throat

Are you referring to the warrior seed syllables or some other set of mantras? That was the suggestion I was going with. I'm interested in seeing what other suggestions may come up in this thread. 
Z , modified 4 Years ago at 1/17/20 7:52 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/17/20 7:52 PM

I've been using the seven chakra model seed mantras, which look to be essentially the same as the warrior seed syllables, though from a different tradition. I play audio of the seeds off of YouTube and sync my chanting to the frequency of them. Results have been very positive in the past few weeks, a definite sense of balance, healing and pleasurable feeling emerging from consistent practice.  
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 1/18/20 12:51 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/18/20 12:51 AM

Cool. Thanks for sharing!
thumbnail
Andrew Daniel, modified 4 Years ago at 1/19/20 5:44 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/19/20 5:44 AM

Elliot Hulse, Lowen, and bioenergetic work has been helpful for this.

Wide opening the mouth, arching back over a stool or standing, and going "aaaaaahhh" vibrate and open the whole area up.
Question, modified 3 Years ago at 6/5/20 1:37 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/5/20 1:36 AM

I have found that the throat is intimiately connected with the mouth, cheeks, and lips. I make the best progress when I integrate all of it into my awareness, look at the flow that comes from the throat and into the cheeks, mouth and teeth. Connect with that and let it disperse, or be as it is. Can elaborate more if you want. For me it manifests as a kind of harsh tingly sensation, kind of like eating spicy food, but from the throat out, around the gums and around the mouth.
Z , modified 3 Years ago at 6/5/20 10:40 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/5/20 10:40 AM

Sure, would be interested in hearing more about your experience. 
Question, modified 3 Years ago at 6/5/20 10:59 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/5/20 10:56 AM

For me, the big thing is to not focus on a traditional chakra centre and instead let what's there guide me to what it is. Like, if I just focus on my throat chakra and try and let the energy there move or dissipate, then I end up making it persist, but If I spread my awareness out and let it connect around that area, in the case I was talking about to my mouth, and sometimes to my cheeks, then I can feel it move and change in a way that seems fruitful. I feel it all as tingles, heavy kind of like spicy food but also like you got hit in the face. I guess just time and experience has helped me learn when it's moving or "doing something" versus when it's just there and nothing is really happening.

Breadcrumb