Kechari mudra and insight meditation

Albus, modified 4 Years ago at 1/17/20 3:19 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/17/20 3:19 AM

Kechari mudra and insight meditation

Hi,
Recently I've been practicing insight meditation pretty solidly along with protracted mindfulness during the day.
I have the impression that the depth of the practice gets strongly enhanced by the kechari mudra.
That's something I've been doing automatically since I was a child, but whose tremendous value has been revealed only when coupled with deep meditation. Thanks to my anatomy (unusually long tongue and no frenulum), I can rest my tongue behind the uvula pretty much all day long without any strain.
I was curious to know if there's anybody else using this technique along with insight practices and hear your impressions.
Thank you.
Anton, modified 4 Years ago at 1/17/20 3:32 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/17/20 3:32 AM

RE: Kechari mudra and insight meditation

How did you conclude it was "kechari mudra" and not other factor(s) that helped spur progress? What tremendous value did it bring?
Albus, modified 4 Years ago at 1/17/20 3:54 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/17/20 3:54 AM

RE: Kechari mudra and insight meditation

Anton:
How did you conclude it was "kechari mudra" and not other factor(s) that helped spur progress? What tremendous value did it bring?

That's a fair question. In fact, I don't think kechari mudra is the only/main factor that helped spur progress. Rather, my feeling is that prolongued insight practice is the main drive behind the shift.
What kechari mudra does though, is to amplify greatly the vibratory aspect of perceived reality. I tend to use nada sound as a peg to enter into Jhanas states which I find very effective. Once you add kechari to the mix, the body feels literally like made of electricity. This sensation is very physical but at the same time quite subtle as the vibrations tend to have a high frequency and, at least from my perspective, this offers the perfect mix to apply the three characteristics of insight as the impermanence and no-self parts are so obvious. I have more troubles identifying the unsatisfactoriness bit, but that's ok.
Kechari has also the power to still the mind very effectively as it seems to make evident the arising a passing stage due to the highly perceivable vibratory nature of the experience.
In other words, I feel like kechari helps insight through giving you a very strong and panoramic energetic base to which apply effectively the three characteristics of insight, rendering the realization much more intuitive and easily achievable.

Breadcrumb