Maslow's hierarchy of needs

Harry Potter, modified 12 Years ago at 5/13/11 11:18 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/13/11 11:18 PM

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs#Hierarchy]Maslow's hierarchy of needs seems to summarize a healthy normal life, from which Actualism differs in fundamental ways. Here is a diagram I made out of this:

The need to belong, the need to love, the need to feel respected are the "good feelings" that (after sufficient pure intent and understanding) are to be nipped in the bud to allow felicitous and innocuous feelings, that in turn allow one to live in a Virtual Freedom leading to an Actual Freedom.
thumbnail
Jake , modified 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 2:25 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 2:25 PM

RE: Maslow's hierarchy of needs

Harry Potter:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs#Hierarchy]Maslow's hierarchy of needs seems to summarize a healthy normal life, from which Actualism differs in fundamental ways. Here is a diagram I made out of this:

The need to belong, the need to love, the need to feel respected are the "good feelings" that (after sufficient pure intent and understanding) are to be nipped in the bud to allow felicitous and innocuous feelings, that in turn allow one to live in a Virtual Freedom leading to an Actual Freedom.

Hi-- this is an interesting comparison :-) I experience it a little differently, and I wonder what you think. I find that the social needs-- to belong and be respected-- are actually rooted in a deep sense of lack. "They" (other people) have something "I" need. "They" have love, acceptance and respect, and "I" need it from "them" because "I" (seem to) lack it. But "they" are me, too, of course; it's a dissociation/projection thing. The same "I" that needs acceptance needs rejection (projected/dissociated hostility/dislike) and so on.

Then go all the way down to the pre-personal needs of safety and physical needs. Here too the problem (the existential "problem", not the pragmatic problem) is the felt-sense of "lack". In actuality, breathing and living and being awake right here and now, I lack nothing. To take another breath is extra. To continue living is extra. So perhaps to perceive my current situation in terms of "lacking" safety, food etc is a fundamental missperception, or at least, it is to have blurred past appreciating the wonder and richness of being here now at all.

Appreciating the richness of Universe that it can arise as a living, reflective and wakeful human, seamlessly intimate with Universe, with genuine wonder at the magic of this, is perhaps in the region of felicity*? Then-- what does the rest of Maslow's hierarchy look like when the fundamental sense of "need" as "lack" or deficiency is seen as a misperception/ as unappreciative? What does human life look like when there is a basic appreciation for living and breathing here and now? Isn't everything else (the circumstances which perpetuate this living breathing condition, others to share experiences with, free time for making art and having adventures) a sheer bonus? What do you think?

* It seems to me (right now and so far) that as good/felicitous as appreciating the wonder and magic of this moment is, still, appreciation is ultimately redundant, as no matter how clear and pure and simple it becomes, it will always be more complex, impure and unclear than actuality.
Harry Potter, modified 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 4:14 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 4:14 PM

I do not appreciate the wonder and magic of this moment or the universe.

Do I enjoy certain moments? Yes.
Do I strive to do more of what I enjoy? Yes.
Do I intend to enjoy no matter what I do? Yes[1].

I do all this to increase the percentage of the felicitous/innocuous part of a typical day. When I reach a point where I am happy/harmless almost all the time - it will become more likely to experience a PCE (I have not had one yet). That experience would reveal to me the wonder and magic of this moment (by apperception) and further facilitate an implicit understanding of how 'my' needs (especially 'love') come short of this perfection. Until a PCE is experienced, "I" cannot be convinced that felicitous/innocuous feelings are "better" than certain 'good feelings' as love. Until then, "I' must explicitly see the 'down-sides' of love to nip it's onset in the bud so as to get back to feeling felicitous while letting the belief/desire that 'love is good/desirous because it feels so good' continue to exist at the back of my mind. I'd appreciate any feedback, especially from those in VF or AF, to this paragraph.

[1] though, I realize I am only beginning to do this. I really must not let those 'neutral' or 'ok' or 'slightly bad' moments slip by habitual inattentiveness any more. Must find a way to enjoy those moments too - whether it is washing the dishes or commuting in a bus during a rainy weather.
thumbnail
adam ,, modified 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 7:56 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 7:50 PM

hmm, I think I must have missed something during the period I stopped reading posts here, what is this "nipping it in the bud?" is it just a term for attacking affective responses to sensory data before they form as emotions?

I don't know if I'm exactly "VF" but I've had a couple major PCEs, I've been doing actualism for around 4 months or so... but anyway here's a piece of advice. don't think about things like percentage of time spent in felicitous states or PCE state or whatever, I'd suggest just using the singular strategy of attempting to emulate a wondering, sensuous, centerless state (once you've dealt with any specific issues that have stopped you from happiness/harmlessness). I'm not so sure about all the more specific and progression oriented concepts in actualism, it may be a nice way to track "progress" but you shouldn't waste the present. My opinion is that you should try specifically not to make any "progress" as it is normally thought of, try to think of time the way you experience it, as a single point, not a line. If you even think for a second that your building up to something or you're just maxing out your percentage, anything in those terms, you may miss the fact that the universe is perfect now, and if only you'd experience it fully as it is right exactly here and right exactly now, your experience would be too.

Try to become fully ignorant that time exists, the imagined existence of a'real' past and a 'real' future is the only thing that causes desire. If you became fully aware that all that exists ever is whatever the formation of universe is right now, it would be so entirely irrational to want[1] anything that you'd have no choice but to stop wanting.

[1] - wanting in the sense of craving, preferences may still exist
Harry Potter, modified 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 8:10 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 8:10 PM

adam j. hunter:
here's a piece of advice. don't think about things like percentage of time spent in felicitous states or PCE state or whatever, I'd suggest just using the singular strategy of attempting to emulate a wondering, sensuous, centerless state (once you've dealt with any specific issues that have stopped you from happiness/harmlessness).

As I haven't had a PCE yet[1], I don't know what a "wondering, sensuous, centerless" state is. So it would be an exercise in futility to attempt to emulate an imagined version of such a state. I do have both major and minor issues preventing my enjoyment, so I continue to investigate those with the intent to widen felicitous/innocuous experiences of the day.

adam j. hunter:
Try to become fully ignorant that time exists, the imagined existence of a'real' past and a 'real' future is the only thing that causes desire. If you became fully aware that all that exists ever is whatever the formation of universe is right now, it would be so entirely irrational to want anything that you'd have no choice but to stop wanting.

I don't imagine an existence of a 'real' past or a 'real' future. The future will be actual when it comes; until then it is an abstract idea, not an actuality. So it is odd to suggest that desire is caused by imagining a possibility of future (that is actual when it comes). By your argument, if I "plan" my travel, then I automatically "desire" travelling. My investigations so far suggest that romantic desire has got nothing to do with notions of time, but all to do with the need to love and be loved waiting beneath the psyche wreaking havoc on pertinent perceptions (sight of a voluptuous body, for instance).

[1] whereas you have: "I've had a couple major PCEs"
thumbnail
Jake , modified 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 8:35 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/14/11 8:29 PM

Harry Potter:

I don't imagine an existence of a 'real' past or a 'real' future. The future will be actual when it comes; until then it is an abstract idea, not an actuality. So it is odd to suggest that desire is caused by imagining a possibility of future (that is actual when it comes). By your argument, if I "plan" my travel, then I automatically "desire" travelling. My investigations so far suggest that romantic desire has got nothing to do with notions of time, but all to do with the need to love and be loved waiting beneath the psyche wreaking havoc on pertinent perceptions (sight of a voluptuous body, for instance).

Harry, I don't think Adam is making an "argument" about time and desire. It sounds like he is reporting his experience. This isn't intellectual stuff :-)

Harry Potter:
By your argument, if I "plan" my travel, then I automatically "desire" travelling.

What it seems to me Adam is pointing to is that the experience of desire depends on believing a certain assumption about time, a certain way of experiencing "time" (as a succession of "moments" moving from past to future). To "want" depends on "lack" and to "lack" makes possible "getting". I "lack" it "now", will "get" it "then" (hope, optimism, self-esteem), or perhaps I will never "get" "it" (fear, dejection, pessimism, worthlessness). By operating according to this structure, we just reinforce the brain circuits that assume lack, and assume a temporal process of getting (or never getting) what we lack (in the ever-receding future). Thus we never question the actuality of "lack", or discover the illusory nature of desire/fear (and the kind of time which desire/fear assumes).

Again, the point being made is not intellectual, or else simply changing one's opinion about time, entertaining the opinion that only the "present" is actual, would be sufficient to dissolve desire and aversion. The "belief" in time is not intellectual, it occurs much much earlier in the cognitive/affective process of experiencing. It is there in the earliest developmental structures.

In some sense it seems to be the heart of the thing. These are experiential pointers, not intellectual pointers. No point in considering this very far on an abstract level. It's all about experiencing completely here and now, whether experiencing the obstructions to complete release (our "issues" or stories of why we can't be happy) or experiencing without obstructions (life as such, sans distortion). Intellectual reflection and investigation are only helpful insofar as they actually point one towards complete experience here and now. That's why I think a modest meditation practice can be helpful here, undertaken wisely, and Adam's advice about dropping notions of progress and attainment is appropriate in this latter context as well.
thumbnail
adam ,, modified 12 Years ago at 5/15/11 10:52 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/15/11 10:48 AM

I'm using the word "imagine" rather loosely, I don't mean that 'you' actually believe that there is a real past and future. What I'm saying is that there is a part of your mind that you don't fully control that is completely convinced that there is something outside of now. Much of the actualism practice is about attempting to control parts of your mind that you normally wouldn't. As for the issue of not having had a PCE, the way you achieve one is to do your best to emulate what it seems like it would be. Essentially what it is is a sensuous, present, centerless, and wondering experience. Whatever idea of each of those things you have, do your best to emulate that.

I think that really the most important teaching of actualism is a radical presentness. Just be so right exactly now. Don't live in the minute or even in the second, get as close as you can to simply being in the right exactly now. Understand that all of your irrational wants come from the idea that there is something other than now, if you become 'ignorant' of time, you'd be wanting something that doesn't exist.

This is just a bit of speculation but I think it's a little useful: wanting is just the subconscious irrational parts of you giving incentive to the rational part of you. It gives you affective pain and pleasure as a way of directing the rational you. Try to take the rational you out of this process, become simply a body that happily experiences and acts in accordance with the irrational you's objectives [1]. The most direct way of getting to this is being radically present.

[1] Doing this you act as you normally would, but you simply skip over the experiencing of this decision making, except your decisions are generally to be harmless because you are more happy than you'd normally be.
thumbnail
Harry Potter, modified 12 Years ago at 5/20/11 9:31 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/20/11 9:31 PM

adam j. hunter:
As for the issue of not having had a PCE, the way you achieve one is to do your best to emulate what it seems like it would be. Essentially what it is is a sensuous, present, centerless, and wondering experience. Whatever idea of each of those things you have, do your best to emulate that. ...I think that really the most important teaching of actualism is a radical presentness. Just be so right exactly now. Don't live in the minute or even in the second, get as close as you can to simply being in the right exactly now. Understand that all of your irrational wants come from the idea that there is something other than now, if you become 'ignorant' of time, you'd be wanting something that doesn't exist.

As someone on the AF mailing list said,

The main tasks for a beginning actualist is to get attentiveness up and running and to investigate all of one’s beliefs, seeing the silliness of prolonging suffering (for any reason). To put much emphasis on ‘letting go of the controls’ [edit: or "emulating" one's concept of a PCE] in the beginning of the practice of actualism may very well lead to one practicing something other than the actualism method"

So I am sticking with attentiveness and investigation instead of "emulating" the concept of PCE.

adam j. hunter:
This is just a bit of speculation but I think it's a little useful: wanting is just the subconscious irrational parts of you giving incentive to the rational part of you. It gives you affective pain and pleasure as a way of directing the rational you. Try to take the rational you out of this process, become simply a body that happily experiences and acts in accordance with the irrational you's objectives [1]. The most direct way of getting to this is being radically present.

That doesn't help much though. I suppose becoming ever more felicitous, and more often at that, is the only route I can take.
thumbnail
adam ,, modified 12 Years ago at 5/20/11 10:05 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/20/11 10:05 PM

the HAIETMOBA is useful for catching the quality of attentiveness and sensuousness and keeping yourself oriented towards felicity, I wasn't saying you should stop it. I said something like "after dealing with any specific issues" after completing HAIETMOBA and getting out of any specific affective issue, then try to move in the direction of PCE. I'm speaking from my own experience here that that has been very helpful. I wouldn't expect you to completely and totally believe that that is effective, but if you doubt my authority, you should check out the "hurricane ranch" conversation between Daniel Ingram and Tarin Greco where basically what I suggested was advocated.

I'd suggest you just try it for yourself though, I guess if you are really worried it will actually take you in the wrong direction, maybe just stick with using HAIETMOBA, but I don't think it would.