where am i being?

thumbnail
Jonathan M Fischer, modified 12 Years ago at 5/16/11 12:33 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/16/11 12:33 PM

where am i being?

Where am I? In a room. Where is the room? In a house. Where is the house? On a street. Where is the street? Hmm. On the earth? It is the earth......Where is the earth? In the universe. In? As opposed to outside the universe? Where is the universe? In a room. In a house. On a street. Where am I again?
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 10:46 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 10:46 AM

RE: where am i being?

Jonathan M Fischer:
Where am I? In a room. Where is the room? In a house. Where is the house? On a street. Where is the street? Hmm. On the earth? It is the earth......Where is the earth? In the universe. In? As opposed to outside the universe? Where is the universe? In a room. In a house. On a street. Where am I again?

This question is similar to "Malukya's dilemma" where a monk named Malukya had asked Buddha about things such as the size of the universe etc. The gist of Buddha's answer was that even after knowing the answer ( or I think he said that such questions are unanswerables ) , you would not have ended your suffering. Your immediate concern should be ending your suffering , which the Buddha showed is possible with the Noble Eightfold Path.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 10:57 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 10:57 AM

Jonathan M Fischer:
Where am I? In a room.

Are you 'in' the room or 'out of' the room? What's a 'room'?
thumbnail
Jonathan M Fischer, modified 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 9:18 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 9:18 AM

I agree that the answers to these questions will not end suffering, but the contemplation of the questions might just make one appreciate the situation one finds themselves in; A boundless infinite universe, coming from nowhere in particular and going nowhere in particular.
thumbnail
Jonathan M Fischer, modified 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 9:23 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 9:23 AM

Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem:
Jonathan M Fischer:
Where am I? In a room.

Are you 'in' the room or 'out of' the room? What's a 'room'?

Exactly. Felicity and pure intent abound when you give a special consideration to these sorts of questions. At least that is my experience.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 9:32 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 9:32 AM

Jonathan M Fischer:
Exactly. Felicity and pure intent abound when you give a special consideration to these sorts of questions. At least that is my experience.

hehe yea. a fun one is realizing that you could be 4000 feet in the air. if you have no reference point you could be at any altitude.

and time.. time doesn't pass! it's just this gigantic planet slowly rotating on its axis.. there's no such thing as a 'day' or 'weekday' or 'weekend' or 'week' or 'morning' or 'evening', it's just the planet endlessly turning not giving a darn what we do on it. so like your days aren't broken up by when you go to bed.. it's all continuous and you happen to pass out for part of it.
thumbnail
Jonathan M Fischer, modified 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 11:37 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 11:37 AM

Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem:
Jonathan M Fischer:

hehe yea. a fun one is realizing that you could be 4000 feet in the air. if you have no reference point you could be at any altitude.

and time.. time doesn't pass! it's just this gigantic planet slowly rotating on its axis.. there's no such thing as a 'day' or 'weekday' or 'weekend' or 'week' or 'morning' or 'evening', it's just the planet endlessly turning not giving a darn what we do on it. so like your days aren't broken up by when you go to bed.. it's all continuous and you happen to pass out for part of it.

Right on. And a moment without duration completely changes our normal reference for what a moment in fact is. Not a piece of time crunched in between the past and the future. Such a moment is not one that can be lived 'in'. Ha. Makes our normal perception of it all seem so silly.