AF and jobs

thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 11:04 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 11:04 AM

AF and jobs

Hiya !

My actualism practise is going really great..There is an ever increasing sense of delight , ease and happiness. The mechanism
of believing is dead inside this body and I cannot believe anymore no matter how hard I try. However , just today I fell into a sort of dilemma. I was actually sick in the morning and so I couldnt go to office. My work involves pressing deadlines and the office expects my presence every single day. So I speak to my superior about this and he is pretty pissed and almost looks like he could fire me.

Now I dont mind being fired or leaving this company..I can get another job , but all this had made me a bit insecure about future..I am worried that in such a corporate setup where previous jobs ( track records ) matter , how can I fit myself into that ? My real fear visceral concern behind all of this is that I may have to rather take low income and unstable jobs where even though I'm the master of my time and have nobody to report to but I may be compromising on earning more money ( which I can in a corporate setup) . I wonder if anyone of you who is practising in AF or is already AF has faced similar problems..particularly in a corporate type setup where you have to answer to authorities and leaving the job appears unsafe.

Regards
Shashank
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 1:43 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 1:31 PM

RE: AF and jobs

Hmm.. well if your supervisor gets mad at you for being sick then I think your supervisor has unrealistic expectations for their employees. People get sick. People need time off work for personal things. Does your company have paid time off or sick day allowances? If it does, I don't think your supervisor can legally fire you for using your alloted time off.

That logistics stuff being said, you don't have to view working for a corporation as a "me against them" game. Maybe there's a way you could find your way into another role in the company. Is there anyone you could talk to about this? Don't be afraid to ask for what you want because companies like to keep people (firing them and finding someone else is expensive/takes time so unless you've already proven to be losing them money - they'd rather keep you from a financial standpoint.) I work for a very traditionally organized corporation, but I still have a fun time here. The work itself is interesting and I'm open about talking to people about what's working and what's not.
thumbnail
Jon T, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 2:02 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 2:02 PM

stephs view seems very solid....i'd stay on and be hap/hamless no matter how much your supervisor wants to intimidate you....if you have the energy then reorganize your life enough so that a few months out of work won't hurt you. That may require moving, trading down for a different car, cooking your own meals, stuff I just would rather not deal with but if you have the energy to do it then that's always the wise choice.

Very inspiring that the method of believing is dead in your body....good to hear that it can be done.
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 5:54 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 5:41 PM

When taking days off sick I would often cycle through a range of feelings. Starting with the build up to making the phone call to advise my boss I wasnt attending work for the day.

First it was the fear as I would believe that my boss would not accept it, imagining his/her response

Then a fear of the future, the belief that I wouldnt be able to find a job of equivalance if my boss reacted how I imagined

After the call I would experience guilt, the belief that I had let my co workers down.

I would experience guilt in that work may come to a stop due to my absence, I believed my own self importance

The next day I would turn up and no one even noticed if I was there, the world continued.

When you react intuively look at the beliefs behind it, I am a "belief"
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:11 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:11 PM

Steph S:
Hmm.. well if your supervisor gets mad at you for being sick then I think your supervisor has unrealistic expectations for their employees. People get sick. People need time off work for personal things. Does your company have paid time off or sick day allowances? If it does, I don't think your supervisor can legally fire you for using your alloted time off.

That logistics stuff being said, you don't have to view working for a corporation as a "me against them" game. Maybe there's a way you could find your way into another role in the company. Is there anyone you could talk to about this? Don't be afraid to ask for what you want because companies like to keep people (firing them and finding someone else is expensive/takes time so unless you've already proven to be losing them money - they'd rather keep you from a financial standpoint.) I work for a very traditionally organized corporation, but I still have a fun time here. The work itself is interesting and I'm open about talking to people about what's working and what's not.

Yes , there are sick leaves and paid leaves as well , but unfortunately I exhausted them all within the first 3 months of taking up this job emoticon. Now I'm taking a days cut whenever I dont show up in the office.

Its true that sometimes I get this "me against them" feeling..something to investigate. Thanks for pointing this out.

I do enjoy working for this company and even the work is interesting , but I cant see myself in any other role. However I think this advise is worth remembering "Don't be afraid to ask for what you want because companies like to keep people".
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:13 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:13 PM

Jon T:
stephs view seems very solid....i'd stay on and be hap/hamless no matter how much your supervisor wants to intimidate you....if you have the energy then reorganize your life enough so that a few months out of work won't hurt you. That may require moving, trading down for a different car, cooking your own meals, stuff I just would rather not deal with but if you have the energy to do it then that's always the wise choice.

Indeed , I'm trying to be as happy/harmless as possible.
This is a great practical advise. Thank you Jon.
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:19 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:19 PM

Jeff Grove:
When taking days off sick I would often cycle through a range of feelings. Starting with the build up to making the phone call to advise my boss I wasnt attending work for the day.

First it was the fear as I would believe that my boss would not accept it, imagining his/her response

Then a fear of the future, the belief that I wouldnt be able to find a job of equivalance if my boss reacted how I imagined

After the call I would experience guilt, the belief that I had let my co workers down.

I would experience guilt in that work may come to a stop due to my absence, I believed my own self importance

The next day I would turn up and no one even noticed if I was there, the world continued.

When you react intuively look at the beliefs behind it, I am a "belief"

Wow Jeff..I couldnt have told the line of events/feelings in a better way. This is exactly what happens with me as well.
One thing that I would add to this is that there is a feeling that the management is piling up and counting all these absences and all this pent up emotions against me may come out some day. There is this feeling that things are reaching the brink.
thumbnail
Jon T, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:40 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:40 PM

No problem. Get that '04 Corolla you always wanted. emoticon

There is this feeling that things are reaching the brink.

Tell us. Why does it matter? Are you proud of your position? Do you use your position to impress others? Do you need the money? Does your partner have materialistic expectations?
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:48 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 8:48 PM

Just something to keep in mind... feelings feel like they are important. you feel that it is telling you something important and without it you'd be lost or not see something coming. but actually, feelings just impede your rational thinking and intelligence. relevant correspondence

Shashank Dixit:
The mechanism of believing is dead inside this body and I cannot believe anymore no matter how hard I try.

also I would re-investigate that as it seems a few beliefs are being revealed in this thread! perhaps a class of beliefs is gone but others remain?
Adam Bieber, modified 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 9:21 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/17/11 9:21 PM

Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem:

a class of beliefs is gone but others remain?

Yes, there seems to be different classes of beliefs. IMO, first one has to be attentive to the social identity aspect of the belief, where one eventually stops the cycle of thought/belief from telling stories and circling. Then once you identify the class of belief and it stops so much arises, the passion behind it can be clearly felt and made harmless through attentiveness. There seems to be several classes of beliefs that revolve and within them, have revolving passions (desire to fear, nurture to desire etc.).
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 3:11 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 3:11 AM

Jon T:

No problem. Get that '04 Corolla you always wanted. emoticon

There is this feeling that things are reaching the brink.

Tell us. Why does it matter? Are you proud of your position? Do you use your position to impress others? Do you need the money? Does your partner have materialistic expectations?

Well what is happening is that it looks sensible to earn money as that would lead to safety. If that safety is threatened , then worrying began. However I'm glad that this episode has revealed the delusional nature of this worry. I'm glad that it happened emoticon
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 3:22 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 3:22 AM

Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem:
Just something to keep in mind... feelings feel like they are important. you feel that it is telling you something important and without it you'd be lost or not see something coming. but actually, feelings just impede your rational thinking and intelligence. relevant correspondence

Shashank Dixit:
The mechanism of believing is dead inside this body and I cannot believe anymore no matter how hard I try.

also I would re-investigate that as it seems a few beliefs are being revealed in this thread! perhaps a class of beliefs is gone but others remain?

Thanks for that link Beoman.

What I mean by not believing is that I am absolutely sure that it is only this actual physical world that exists..rest all is just imagination , beliefs , opinions , superstitions..My entire confidence is now in the factual rather than the imagined. It is not the same as I used to think before..there is some sort of a permanent shift I can sense..I simply cannot believe and there is a huge sense of relief in that..its as if a large part of "me" has been lost. Maybe you guys are right...it may be a class of beliefs that has been shattered. Keep in mind that I am not counting instinctual passions and feeling of "being" (felt/intuited existance of "I") in this though.
This Good Self, modified 12 Years ago at 5/19/11 10:11 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/19/11 9:28 PM

Shashank, what about doing an extreme sport? When you do a sport where your life/body is on the line, you very quickly learn that fear ruins everything. Fear cramps your style, your creativity, fear causes injury, fear draws unfavourable circumstances. The brand 'No Fear' was created to remind motocross riders that the correct attitude is one of .... "no fear". Try dropping into a skateboard ramp with a basic attitude of fear and you will break every bone in your body. A lot can be learned from sport. The ego is fueled by fear, works with fear. Pay no heed to fear and you're automatically undoing the grip of the ego.

"Throw caution to the wind".

Reminds me of a thread I've been meaning to post.