General perspective on substance use

Konstantin Freiberg, modified 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 1:55 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 1:55 AM

General perspective on substance use

What is your general outlook on using substances to influence the mind? I keep coming back to needing to sort out my relationship with various substances. I can see how one may choose to avoid this whole mess by abstaining fully. Yet I find the cultivation of extraordinarily beautiful states of consciousness a noble cause, and certain substances like LSD and MDMA open up states of consciousness that I believe impossible to attain without. Skillful use of caffeine (and maybe even small doses of amphetamines) can also support my activities in daily life. With regards to addiction I enjoy the working definition of continued usage despite negative consequences. So, without the negative effects weighing out the benefits, it's healthy usage. 

I believe much of the psychological suffering encountered with substance usage is the social stigma associated with it. Talking with my psychologist I can sense her thinking my drug usage is wrong. Thus I find it very helpful and necessary to talk about drug usage with people, who are open to it. Nonetheless, the keeping secret from e.g. family is irritating.

Feel free to also go into specifics on various substances.