Where am I on the Insight Map?

Dharma Dude, modified 12 Years ago at 5/30/11 10:43 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/30/11 10:43 PM

Where am I on the Insight Map?

Following Tommy and Beoman's advices, I read through the A&P and Dark Night, but I am still not sure where am I? Please shed some lights based on the following facts, and give me some advices, so I can be prepared to deal with what ever issues coming:

1. For the last 2 weeks I switched my sitting schedule to 45 mins insight in the morning and 60 mins samatha at night and try to keep noting as much as I can during the day (For more of my background pls. see my post in Concentration/A New Beginning.)

2. Everyday, I felt strong vibrations (about 5-8 Hz) on both hands and feet from wake up time till about afternoon then fading but not completely out.

3. High pitch ringing/buzzing sound, some time come in waves and feel like going through a "sonic boom" or a surge of emotion. This feel like coming from the background of the first jhanas, but now amplified. From morning till afternoon then fading. Same with the vibration, the ringing sounds tend to amplify with a mindfull, focused breath.

4. Light blobs, as in access concentration, came up very quickly (after 10-15 breaths). Heat & sensations may arise some time during the day, mostly in the head area.

5. A "hard' sensation on top of the right eye that won't go away during samatha session.

6. The tingling sensation on my right ear and left thumb persist almost all the time, stronger during sitting.

7. I am not depressed, just puzzling and very obsessed with attaining stream entry. However, I suspect that if I didn't read the MCTB, I might have become worried and stop all practices.

Thank you so much.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 6/1/11 5:03 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 6/1/11 5:03 PM

RE: Where am I on the Insight Map?

It's always a tough call on this one, so bear in mind that the best you're likely to get is a guess although some may be more educated than others. Basically take it with a pinch of salt and don't get too hung up on the whole map thing, it's massively useful but becoming obsessed with figuring this stuff out works as more of a setback. I know 'cause I did it for quite a while and learned the hard way so don't make the same mistakes if they can be avoided.

1. For the last 2 weeks I switched my sitting schedule to 45 mins insight in the morning and 60 mins samatha at night and try to keep noting as much as I can during the day

Excellent! If you want stream-entry then you're going about it the right way, just maintain that momentum and be mindful as much as possible.

2. Everyday, I felt strong vibrations (about 5-8 Hz) on both hands and feet from wake up time till about afternoon then fading but not completely out.

If you're noting at this level then that's fantastic, don't get hung up on the specifics right now and just stay with the sensations themselves. This sounds like going from 1st to 2nd ñana though, do you notice anything about your breathing?

3. High pitch ringing/buzzing sound, some time come in waves and feel like going through a "sonic boom" or a surge of emotion. This feel like coming from the background of the first jhanas, but now amplified. From morning till afternoon then fading. Same with the vibration, the ringing sounds tend to amplify with a mindfull, focused breath.

Sounds like moving into 4th ñana, is there anything in particular you notice about the focus of attention here?

5. A "hard' sensation on top of the right eye that won't go away during samatha session.

Don't worry about it if you're doing samatha, just stay with your object. If you're doing vipassana, investigate the sensation. Alternatively, balance the two and gently investigate the object itself.

6. The tingling sensation on my right ear and left thumb persist almost all the time, stronger during sitting.

Typical jhana related sensations, investigate them.

7. I am not depressed, just puzzling and very obsessed with attaining stream entry. However, I suspect that if I didn't read the MCTB, I might have become worried and stop all practices.

MCTB is priceless, it's a how-to manual with heart. You know that Daniel's gone through all of this puzzlement and obsession too and it shows in his writing, maybe have a read at the chapters on the first four ñanas from Mind & Body to the Arising & Passing Away and see how that sounds compared to your current practice. I don't know if you've completely crossed the A&P yet, just based on what I've already read from your posts, so keep doing what you're doing and maintain the momentum.

If this is the case then you've got the joys of Dark Night to look forward to, which doesn't necessarily need to be a major problem if you're practice is strong and you've got a good support network like this site. DN can actually be a really uplifting and cleansing experience if you surrender to it and don't fight it.

It sounds like you've got a solid practice routine and you're clearly committed to this so there's no reason why you can't get stream entry. It might take a while, or it might happen in the next two seconds but the practice is it's own reward and the goal is one worthy of pursuit.

Hope that helps a bit.

- Tommy
Dharma Dude, modified 12 Years ago at 6/5/11 9:05 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 6/5/11 9:05 AM

RE: Where am I on the Insight Map?

Tommy, Thank you very much for your encouraging words.
Yes Sir, I will not get hung up by the specifics! and
I will maintain my momentum!

I did not notice any big change in my breathing recently. During insight sittings, sometimes, it seemed to stop, but I just ignored it.
One time, I think I chanced into the cool 3rd samatha jhanas.
I have some pain in my left shoulder and upper arm for the last 3-4 days

Regardless of the confusions ( vibrations pattern, persisting sensations, some random pains) I agree with your comment, I suspect that I have not passed A&P or not even in early A&P yet, since my noting skill is still poor. The sense of cause and effect is always there, but more of learned conceptual than a direct experience. Some days, I felt clear, yet some other days it's not. However, the more I read and re-read MCTB, the road map makes much sense to me now.

I am going to devote more time for insight sitting, reduce concentration sitting to once or twice a week, and try to note more during the day until completely crossing A&P.
Again, Thank you.