Complete Reality Taoism and Actual Freedom?

bobby Mcbob, modified 12 Years ago at 6/2/11 8:01 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 6/2/11 8:01 AM

Complete Reality Taoism and Actual Freedom?

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time lurker, this is my first post emoticon

My buddhist related knowledge is fairly restricted to what i've read on this forum and in Daniel's MCTOB. I have however spent years wading through much of the taoist information that is available in English (although, truth be told, the constant use of metaphor in alchemical texts, and the various possible/Schools' interpretations makes it quite difficult to profess any solid understanding)

I'm finally posting as discussions of Actual Freedom, and the Actual Freedom website have stood out, reminding me of much of what i've read in Taoist texts through the years. Now, it could easily be the case that, Taoist texts being as vague/metaphorical as they are, I am reading in Actual Freedom concepts, but I thought it would be worth the discussion nevertheless.

To start, this is a link to Chang-Po Tuan's 'Understanding Reality', translated by Thomas Cleary, with detailed commentary by Liu I Ming. Cleary's summary of the Complete Reality School's view of Yin Yang introduciton (starting page 3)

Google books: Understanding Reality (specifically 'Yin Yang' pge 3)

Whilst this is definately a brief summary by Cleary, it gives an idea of the sort of things that seemed to relate to Actual Freedom. Liu I ming's commentary in the main body of the text, is much more concerned with process.

Or am I way off?

some snippets:

"stillness is not an ends but a means, and the practice of emptiness and stillness is supposed to have a definitive climax and outcome."

"One advantage of being able to stand aside from the mundane and recover the awareness of the unconditioned primordial mind is that it allows a more objective assessment of the value or otherwise of particular habits or patterns of behaviour; and it allows leeway within which to modify behaviour."

"What the Complete Reality Taoist strives for is to attain autonomy, the freedom to be or not to be, to do or not do, according to the needs of the situation at hand."

“The effort here is to join sense and essence; this may be described as developing a sense of the real essence of mind, and sensing reality directly from the essence of consciousness rather than through the acquired psychological configurations of temperaments. This is said to involve keeping consciousness open and fluid while clearing sense of subjective feelings; this means transcendence of restrictive mental fixations through the greater perspective afforded by the mind of Tao.”
thumbnail
deci belle, modified 7 Years ago at 10/15/16 12:35 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/15/16 12:05 PM

RE: Complete Reality Taoism and Actual Freedom?

Wow, Bobby~ hope you're subscribing to your post-- haha!!

In terms of the title of this thread, actual freedom is the state of wallowing in complete reality right now.

Complete Reality teaching calls this "jumping in and floating around in the center of the compass".

"Jumping in" is realizing, acknowledging and accepting one's inherent enlightening function, and using it to adapt to conditions without relying on one's own power unbeknownst to anyone.

This Center is the immaterial incipience of the real body of awareness which has no location.

This "no location" is not somewhere else; it's nowhere else: it's already you before the first thought.

Freedom can only be in terms of its relative, which is conditions. Enlightening aware being is free of conditions as is. It is not a state of separation from conditions. It is not even different than the unattributble nature of conditions, that is, creation— though it is itself uncreated.

Complete Reality tradition exemplifies the thrust of all authentic teachings based on reality. Reality is the substance of conditions, not conditions themselves. Those who see reality see through the conditional and use its potential as the means to adapt impersonally to situational energy-cycles whereby they transform along with creation without experiencing Change unawares.

Where does freedom come in? It's freedom from karmic momentum. Karmic momentum is psychological. It's also dependent on ignorance of it's nature. Freedom is awakened to its nature. It's the same nature. It's functioning in the world, the eternity of creation, all time, as a partner of creation, without being subject to changes wrought by circumstantial process.

Spiritual alchemy is using the pure from within the false by not being subject to the false: that's the relativity of freedom, in terms of Complete Reality taoism.

Though we are none other than the totality of world-cycles (and beyond), who this is, is neither conditions nor their absolute nature. Who are those who actually know this, and can act on this knowledge? In taoist terms, the world is the sage. Sage is the embodiment of Suchness, the buddhist term to denote reality as is, neither conditional nor absolute. Sages, saints, buddhas, wizards, prior and present illuminates and all enlightening being(s) know the totality of the being that is going to die. Real knowledge is the potential of being, not created.

Relative to unity, what is there to be free of? Enlightening beings are comprized of the Virtue of the Receptive. The world comes to them naturally. Such is the nature of the Way, which is the nature of the true self which has no self. Freedom is a relative term denoting knowing better. "Better" is a relative term too. This is not philosophy. It is a description of the functional basis of adepts of complete reality.

Complete Reality taoism is a teaching of realization of primordial unity and its manifestation by subtle means through those who can act on nonpsychological awareness. Seeing reality is seeing potential. Seeing potential is the reality of nondifferentiation. Those who know the essence of conditions operate in terms of essence while in the midst of the incremental, that is, temporal existence.

Freedom is knowledge and actualization of selflessness (unity) adapted to ordinary situations unbeknownst to anyone for the purpose of enlightening being. Taoism calls those who are receptive to Virtue "real people". The Way has its Power, and those who carry it out do so without relying on their own power. This is why "the master carpenter does not cut."

I have only responded to your thread-starter's title~ as for the "snippets" provided by Thomas Cleary, those are sublimely self-evident, even so, arriving at the functional edification of the words you recognized as significant enough to include in your post, is the purpose of all authentic teaching.

Evidently, no one has ever had the temerity to respond to this thread!!

i doo~ heehee❤︎❤︎!!
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 10/15/16 2:22 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/15/16 2:22 PM

For the sake of clarity, OP was referring specifically to this contemplative movement: http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/
thumbnail
deci belle, modified 7 Years ago at 10/15/16 3:20 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/15/16 3:20 PM

I responded acording to the post itself.

Why do you speak on behalf of someonewho is actually asking a question without you yourself responding to point of the question itself?

For the sake of clarity I suggest you speak for yourself, dear.

I don't suppoe you have any knowledge of Complete Reality Taoism, its source, or its purpose, hmmmm?

For the sake of clarity, indeed.
Adam, modified 7 Years ago at 10/29/16 10:20 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/29/16 10:05 PM

deci belle:
I responded acording to the post itself.

Why do you speak on behalf of someonewho is actually asking a question without you yourself responding to point of the question itself?

For the sake of clarity I suggest you speak for yourself, dear.

I don't suppoe you have any knowledge of Complete Reality Taoism, its source, or its purpose, hmmmm?

For the sake of clarity, indeed.

I don't see how Noah was speaking for you here.  He just stated what website the original post was referring too if I am not mistaken.  Are you sure you are not creating your own meaning about Noah's post? 

Also, are you sure you know what an actual freedom is?  Your description doesn't match the descriptions of those who are actually free or the explication of an actual freedom on the actual freedom website.  

Though you state, "actual freedom is the state of wallowing in complete reality right now", this definition is never mentioned as such on the actual freedom website.  Your post does not discuss anything about delight, perfection, peace or infinitude, which are inherent to the condition of an actual freedom.  I think you are ascribing spirtual conditioning, feelings, and beliefs to the condition of an actual freedom, which is, as specifically stated, a non-spiritual, down-to-earth freedom, meaning the condition of an actual freedom has nothing to do with spirituality in any way, shape, or form whatsoever.  

Breadcrumb