Thoughts on my practice plan?

thumbnail
bud , modified 12 Years ago at 6/6/11 4:01 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 6/6/11 4:01 PM

Thoughts on my practice plan?

Hello all,

I've been studying/practicing Buddhism for about a year now, and reading MCTB has really energized and motivated me to take my meditation more seriously. I was wondering if some of you could take a look at my practice plan and offer some feedback.

1. Home practice. 45-minute sits in the morning, then anywhere between one and three 15-minute sits throughout the day. I work from home so I try to sit whenever I have some downtime. I usually spend half of my time cultivating concentration by ignoring the flickering individual sensations and staying with the breath, then eventually transition into noticing these things and breaking the breath up into its sensate fragments. (I've found this a bit difficult, I'm hoping it's because I'm not used to it. Sometimes I'll be aware of a sensation and really have no idea if it was mind or body. I've never paid attention to the distinction before, and honestly I'm pretty surprised that it could be so ambiguous, even when watching closely).

2. Noting. Throughout the day I try to note physical sensations. Sometimes if I find noting difficult I'll just try to be aware of as many distinct moments and sensations as possible. I basically do this whenever I don't have something to do or think about, or when I'm doing something routine like washing dishes or walking the dog.

3. Retreats. I plan on going to my first weekend retreat in August. Until then I am trying to plan some DIY retreats by finding some space (rented cabins?) where I can practice for 24-48 hours.

That's about it. Thanks for listening.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 12 Years ago at 6/7/11 2:34 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 6/7/11 2:31 AM

RE: Thoughts on my practice plan?

All seems good, here is a small list of recommendations:

- Know what you want from this practice. Your most immediate goal should be stream entry - read MCTB until you have a conceptual understanding of the stages of insight leading to stream-entry (know the map before traversing the territory). You should also be aware of your long-term goal (although there are people with different takes on what this should be).

- One or two months before the retreat, start doing the technique you'll do in the retreat, exclusively and with increasing dedication (I suggest you do mahasi-style noting, but on some retreats you simply have to follow the instructions given to you, while on others you have more freedom). This will give you some momentum to begin with (stream entry is all about momentum).

- Read Tarin's Reformed Slacker's Guide to Stream-Entry. In your retreat, work as suggested in the guide.

Take care.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 12 Years ago at 6/7/11 2:54 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 6/7/11 2:54 AM

Bud Valley:
I've been studying/practicing Buddhism for about a year now, and reading MCTB has really energized and motivated me to take my meditation more seriously. I was wondering if some of you could take a look at my practice plan and offer some feedback....

Hi Bud,

Welcome to the DhO.

Without being able to question you further about what attracted you to this study/practice, it would be interesting (and helpful) to know what your impressions of it are. What is it that you hope to gain from the study and practice of "Buddhism"? Is there some facet of it that you perceive will be useful to you?

Originally the Buddha taught his system of development in order to alleviate greed, hatred, and ignorance. And the ending of dukkha (suffering or dissatisfaction): "Formerly, Anuradha, and also now, I make known just suffering and the cessation of suffering." (SN 22.86) And: "Bhikkhus, both formerly and now what I teach is suffering and the cessation of suffering.* " (MN 22.38) Bhikkhu Bodhi's footnote to this last quotation helps to shed some light on the intended meaning of these two statements which are saying essentially the same thing.

*Footnote: "The import of this statement is deeper than appears on the surface. In the context of the false accusations of ยง37, the Buddha is stating that he teaches that a living being is not a self but a mere conglomeration of factors, material and mental events, linked together in a process that is inherently dukkha, and that Nibbana, the cessation of suffering, is not the annihilation of a being but the termination of that same unsatisfactory process. This statement should be read in conjunction with SN 12.15/ii.17, where the Buddha says that one with right view, who has discarded all doctrines of a self, sees that whatever arises is only dukkha arising, and whatever ceases is only dukkha ceasing."

With the establishment of Right View (samma ditti) the development and establishment of Right Thought (samma sankappa) is meant to follow. And so for the rest of the Noble Eightfold Path of factors that are so vital to the study and development of the practice: Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration/Contemplation. These eight areas of experience, along with the discipline and practice which help to bring them about, make up the essence of what Gotama taught.

So that within this context, the development of the mind and its ability to discern the truth about phenomena (dhammas) and how that phenomena affects one's view of reality and therefore one's experience (or lack) of suffering becomes of paramount importance.

So, with this in mind, whatever time can be applied to the practice of developing the capabilities and the disciplining of the mind is what one should be forthrightly devoting one's time to accomplishing.

It sounds as though you have a good start at developing a practice that will serve you well. You might want to add a long meditation session (45 min. to 1 hour) at the end of your day to help spur this process along, if it is at all possible. Otherwise, it sounds as though you have a good plan that fits your current lifestyle.

In peace,
Ian
thumbnail
David Patton, modified 12 Years ago at 7/7/11 7:21 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/7/11 7:21 PM

Hi Bud

It seems like you have a nice recipe for making a cake. What's the occasion?

Why are you practicing?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 7/7/11 7:50 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/7/11 7:50 PM

David Patton:
Hi Bud

It seems like you have a nice recipe for making a cake. What's the occasion?

Why are you practicing?
'

Why are you seemingly on a mission to question people's intentions? Start a thread, David, and let it out of the bag. You'll feel better.

:-)
thumbnail
Masauwu , modified 12 Years ago at 7/23/11 11:26 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/23/11 11:26 PM

Ian And:
You might want to add a long meditation session (45 min. to 1 hour) at the end of your day to help spur this process along, if it is at all possible.

Hi Ian,

Is there something about meditation before sleep that helps the overall process? I am trying to figure out my own practice schedule and i was thinking it`s hard to stay awake during an evening sit, but if it`s worth the effort then i will reconsider.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 12 Years ago at 7/24/11 1:43 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/24/11 1:41 AM

Masauwu .:
Ian And:
You might want to add a long meditation session (45 min. to 1 hour) at the end of your day to help spur this process along, if it is at all possible.

Hi Ian,

Is there something about meditation before sleep that helps the overall process? I am trying to figure out my own practice schedule and i was thinking it`s hard to stay awake during an evening sit, but if it`s worth the effort then i will reconsider.

Not that I'm aware of. If you want to try it, be my guest.

By the statement "at the end of your day" I meant to imply early evening rather than just before bedtime. The point was to incorporate at least two relatively long meditation sessions during the day. One at the beginning of the day, the other at the end. It's kind of a symmetrical usage of contemplation periods. The first used to set up the mind in a calm demeanor (and to establish mindfulness) at the beginning of the day to carry you into the day, and the latter to process the day's events, to kind of unwind or wind down at the end of the day. It's just something I incorporated into my own practice. It works very well if used in that way.

As far as attempting to meditate when you are sleepy, that's never a very good idea. Best to rouse yourself awake whenever you're sleepy and planning to meditate. Otherwise, you're fighting an uphill battle to stay awake and alert. One way to insure that you always have a good session is to establish mindfulness before each meditation session. That usually rouses the mind into an energetic alertness.
thumbnail
Masauwu , modified 12 Years ago at 7/24/11 1:53 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/24/11 1:53 AM

Ian And:
The point was to incorporate at least two relatively long meditation sessions during the day. The first used to set up the mind in a calm demeanor (and to establish mindfulness) at the beginning of the day to carry you into the day, and the latter to process the day's events, to kind of unwind or wind down at the end of the day.

Thanks, it makes sense.

Breadcrumb