Gunde's practice log

Fernando, modified 4 Years ago at 3/17/20 3:59 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/17/20 3:59 PM

Gunde's practice log

Hi everybody,
I'm a 26 year old guy, I like reading, physical training and talking with people I like. So pretty normal. I used to meditate when I was 21 or so, but I stopped when I didn't get any results a.k.a experiencing the jhanas. As you might be guessing, I was not being very consistent. I was not being consistent at all.  I've been thinking about starting again for some time, and now with the whole "don't get out" thing I didn't find any excuse; so I started.

I've decided to start this log so you can help me with any experiences I might have. And I say this because I had something weird happen to me. I was just trying to concentrate on my breath, at the entrance of the nose. Every time my mind wandered I said to myself "return to the breath", and after what seemed 10 minutes I began experiencing a "cool  energy", mostly on my hands, but not limited to them. Also I felt a lot of pressure on the point where I was feeling my breath. Some time later I lost my concentration and my mind started to wander, but not in a conscious way, I guess I was falling asleep. Anyhow I managed to regain concentration just by a little bit, and the timer sounded.

This "cool energy" and pressure "inside" my nose was weird enough, but what is really bothering me is the afterglow I felt after ending my meditation session. I use the word "afterglow" because it was similar to the afterglow you feel after a psychedelic trip. I was just very very ok, and happy; a little confused too, or maybe spaced out. It faded away, but very slowly.

Any insight would be helpful.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 3/17/20 4:10 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/17/20 4:09 PM

RE: Gunde's practice log

Do you recall how it feels to hyperventilate? Seriously. That's a possibility when you're deeply focused on your breath. Hyperventilation can cause your extremities to feel funny:

From WebMD:
Hyperventilation Symptoms

You may not always be aware that you’re over-breathing. But signs may include:
  • Shortness of breath, or feeling that you can’t get enough air
  • A faster than normal heartbeat
  • Feeling faint, dizzy, or lightheaded
  • Pain or tightness in your chest
  • Frequent yawn or sighs
  • A numb, tingly feeling in your hands or feet

Breadcrumb