My meditation podcast

thumbnail
spatial, modified 3 Years ago at 4/12/20 7:35 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/12/20 7:35 PM

My meditation podcast

So, I've been very creative over the past couple months. As part of learning about marketing, I've been making short videos, and a couple longer ones as well. I figure that this current apocalypse is as good a time as any to reinvent myself, so I've been posting this stuff under my real name on Facebook and Instagram. I've also decided to take the audio from the longer videos and publish it as a podcast. 

But here's the thing. I've never used my real name on this forum. And I've never shown anybody from my real life anything I've posted here. I'm not sure which I'm more nervous about: you guys knowing who I am in real life, or my real life people knowing about what goes on here. What I've published so far is sort of in the middle, but I'm starting to push the envelope. 

I think I'm hoping somebody will say something that will convince me to post a link here.
Jason Massie, modified 3 Years ago at 4/12/20 8:14 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/12/20 8:14 PM

RE: My meditation podcast

Dont do it!
thumbnail
spatial, modified 3 Years ago at 4/12/20 8:21 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/12/20 8:21 PM

Jason Massie:
Dont do it!

Are you serious?
Jason Massie, modified 3 Years ago at 4/12/20 8:53 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/12/20 8:53 PM

spatial:
Jason Massie:
Dont do it!

Are you serious?

I was trying reverse psychology. 

Just rip off the bandaid.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 1:41 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 1:41 AM

I would love to see and hear it. I don't see how your name would make any difference for us here. 
thumbnail
spatial, modified 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 10:17 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 10:17 AM

Jason Massie:

I was trying reverse psychology. 

Just rip off the bandaid.

Hah, OK. Your vote is counted emoticon
thumbnail
spatial, modified 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 10:19 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 10:19 AM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
I would love to see and hear it. I don't see how your name would make any difference for us here. 

It's my attachment to my old self. It probably wouldn't make sense to you, only me. I'm scared to integrate myself into one person.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 10:52 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 10:52 AM

I had something like that with people from different contexts so it just dawned on me that I think I do understand (or maybe it's an entirely different thing). The different people were so very different and bringing them together could be awkward, especially since I didn't know how to behave when the scripts collided. I had to invite people from various contexts when I defended my thesis, though, and everyone said that they were seated next to such an amazing person, even those whom I was really nervous about, and later people who had never met each other would get to know each other on my facebook page when there were lively conversations there. Somewhere down the line I realized that people meeting each other from my different contexts doesn't have to be about me. That was a relief, because I suck at being in the center. 

One possibility could perhaps be to post the podcasts under an alias on a separate platform from the the videos and link us to them whereas people from your "real" life (hey, we are real too, to the extent anything is) are linked to the videos. I would prefer the videos, though. It is easier to get the subtler point if one can see mimicks and body language. 
thumbnail
spatial, modified 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 11:03 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 11:03 AM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
I had something like that with people from different contexts so it just dawned on me that I think I do understand (or maybe it's an entirely different thing). The different people were so very different and bringing them together could be awkward, especially since I didn't know how to behave when the scripts collided.

Yep, that's the issue. I'm a different person here than I am there. I'm not looking forward to the void that is the result of trying to merge those two scripts. This is coming up so frequently in many areas of my life. The way I speak in the videos is often quite different from how I speak here. Again, those two people need to be merged. Not looking forward to that. It feels like my meditation practice is pulling me in this direction, though. So I'll probably give in to it at some point. 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 11:05 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 11:05 AM

Take your time. This is a huge step for you.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 11:09 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/13/20 11:09 AM

Yeah, we can wait if that's what you need. Your boundaries are important. 

I think posting about your practice on facebook for your friends is very brave. 
thumbnail
Smiling Stone, modified 3 Years ago at 4/14/20 5:04 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/14/20 5:04 PM

Hello Spatial,

What a bold move, a coming out! I think that's brave, I am quite far from it myself. I don't like hiding behind an alias but I am still concerned about possible unforeseen outcomes.
I was thinking : maybe you could start sharing your info with some reliable members of this forum (Linda, Curious, Chris etc.?), and maybe ask them some feedback... I am sure they would protect your identity.

Love and good luck
with metta
smiling stone
thumbnail
Brandon Dayton, modified 3 Years ago at 4/15/20 2:44 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/15/20 2:44 PM

I'd love to hear it. 
thumbnail
Lewis James, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 4:44 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 4:44 AM

Another vote for yes - I immediately clicked this thread thinking what a great podcast it would probably be, having seen your input here.

As someone who usually perfers pseudonyms (I'm TetrisMcKenna on Reddit) I've been transitioning to using my real name more. It was kind of scary at first, like somehow linking the anonymous and public identities would cause some kind of... problem? Then I thought, well, it's just identity, who cares? And it turns out, basically nobody. Nobody cares enough to stalk my online profiles. Maybe that's the same for you, I don't know!

So all I know is I would love to see a video from you and I don't mind which name or form it appears as emoticon
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 11:28 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 11:28 AM

A vote for No.
I would say, if you are not certain about it, probably it won't go well. Take your time as Chris said.
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 11:56 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 11:49 PM

You can take your time and do it when you're ready. No rush. As far as being nervous about different groups seeing a new part of you, here's something I will say.

Many of the people in my life know I meditate, and there's a select few in my off-board life that know a bit more detail about what that entails. So far it hasn't been a problem. The people I've told in a more casual, general way usually have reactions that fall into 2 categories:

1. "Cool. Man, I wish I could meditate (or I've tried a couple times) but I feel like my mind always wanders."
2. "Right on." Then the topic isn't ever brought up again. Either cuz they're kind of indifferent to meditation or maybe some other reason.

In my 10 years of practicing I can't say that I can recall an instance that was some dramatic negative response. The vast majority of people have fallen into the above 2 categories. Honestly, most people aren't gonna care in a positive or negative way all that much. People are all up in their own lives and their own stuff and not ruminating about what you're doing with yours. They're probably not going to form some majorly different opinion of you if you let them in on the fact that you do some "weirdo" Buddhist stuff. The people who think it's cool might listen to the podcast and ask for more details.. and the rest will probably forget about it within a couple minutes and will not judge you.

I hope that helps. You got this, dude.
thumbnail
spatial, modified 3 Years ago at 4/19/20 10:33 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/19/20 10:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.

Chris, Linda: Yes, it isn't a huge step, isn't it? It has to happen eventually, I think. I feel too restless otherwise.

Smiling Stone: Good idea!

Brandon: Thanks! I'll keep you posted.

Lewis: Wow, that's cool that you immediately clicked. I didn't realize I had such a reputation emoticon

Siavash: Don't worry, I will take my time.

Steph: It's not just that it's about the topic of meditation. It's that I have these different personalities. It's really stressful to keep them all separated like this. When something happens, I just want to react, without having to remember which one I'm supposed to be at any given moment.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 6:18 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 6:18 AM

When something happens, I just want to react, without having to remember which one I'm supposed to be at any given moment.

I can see why this is a problem.

A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 2:41 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 2:41 PM

According to Buddhism, Siddhartha had to wait to achieve enlightenment. Why should you have to?
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 4:47 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 4:47 PM

Siavash:
A vote for No.
I would say, if you are not certain about it, probably it won't go well. Take your time as Chris said.

What does he have to take his time for?
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 5:38 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 5:38 PM

Sleeping Buddha Syndrome:
Siavash:
A vote for No.

What does he have to take his time for?

To take time to see more clearly what are my(his) fears, and how I want to face them. To have a clearer sense of what I think I might lose or gain, and how I want to handle them. Basicly have a better sense of consequences and be prepared for them.

And of course someone may say, I don't care about the consequences, I want to do this thing, ok, fine. It has its own pros and cons, if one likes to do it that way.

Of course that's not my business to give any suggestion in these cases, but since spatial showed openness for inputs, so.

Personally, nowadays, I don't care much about what people would say about me. If it's something that can cause suffering to my family or someone else, I need to be careful, otherwise who cares.
thumbnail
Brandon Dayton, modified 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 6:27 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 6:27 PM

When it comes to making art, I generally fall into the camp of share early and often. 

I like to find the least expensive and time intensive way to answer the questions at the core of what I'm producing. If you're exploring a dead-end you want to know that as soon as possible. Feedback is the most valuable thing you can have as an artist in that regard. Art is all about expressing something and at the end of the day you want to know how well you are doing the job. This doesn't necessarily mean pandering to your prospective audience. After much trial and error, I personally found that I had the most success when I just made stuff that I was passionate about.

This approach works best if you can keep a learning and process based mindset rather then hoping to deliver a finished, perfect product with each release. 

At the end of the day it's also about risk vs. reward. Fortunately, if something doesn't really connect the worse that will happen is that it will be ignored (I've experienced this plenty), but if it does connect the upside can be well worth it.

Is that enough to convince you to post a link?

Breadcrumb