Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path

Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 3:04 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Chris M 4/16/20 3:13 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 3:24 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Chris M 4/16/20 3:41 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 3:43 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Chris M 4/16/20 3:45 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 3:48 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path T 4/17/20 7:48 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Chris M 4/17/20 7:50 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/17/20 8:47 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 8:51 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Not two, not one 4/16/20 3:45 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 3:47 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Not two, not one 4/16/20 3:49 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 3:53 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Noah D 4/16/20 3:56 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/16/20 6:22 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 6:46 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/16/20 6:54 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 7:07 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/16/20 7:12 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/17/20 9:11 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 9:14 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/17/20 9:33 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 9:37 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/17/20 10:08 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 10:12 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/17/20 10:37 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 10:44 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Chris M 4/17/20 11:16 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Mike Smirnoff 4/17/20 10:59 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 4/17/20 11:17 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Mike Smirnoff 4/17/20 11:36 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Not two, not one 4/18/20 1:38 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Mike Smirnoff 4/18/20 1:46 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Not two, not one 4/18/20 1:56 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Mike Smirnoff 4/18/20 3:32 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Not two, not one 4/18/20 3:55 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Mike Smirnoff 4/18/20 3:59 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/18/20 6:59 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Chris M 4/18/20 7:46 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Mike Smirnoff 4/18/20 2:10 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 4/18/20 3:47 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Mike Smirnoff 4/18/20 3:57 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 4/18/20 4:21 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/17/20 9:49 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/17/20 10:04 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path A. Dietrich Ringle 4/16/20 7:17 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/16/20 7:20 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path A. Dietrich Ringle 4/16/20 7:32 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Mathias 4/17/20 5:42 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path nintheye 4/17/20 10:17 PM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 7:45 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 7:58 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path T 4/17/20 8:39 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 8:43 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path George S 4/17/20 8:47 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 8:52 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path T 4/17/20 8:55 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 8:57 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Smiling Stone 4/17/20 8:51 AM
RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path Tim Farrington 4/17/20 8:54 AM
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:04 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:04 PM

Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path

I’m a spiritual teacher of a roughly Hindu nondual (advaita vedanta) bent, though I also have great respect for and have learned from Buddhism and other nondual traditions. I view them all as simply different windows into the same Truth. 

I help people along the spiritual journey, the path of penetrating the illusion of being a separate person (i.e. "ego"). This leads to freedom, the end of suffering, and profound peace and truth.

I view enlightenment as Self-realization, which is a paradoxical attainment non-attainment, the sought object that destroys the idea that there ever was a seeker, the aesthetic enjoyment that underlies all things. It reveals the illusoriness of the personal self, shows the categories of the mind to be false, and is completion, perfection, and truth beyond words.

"Beyond words" is the key point here; Truth is fundamentally indescribable.

I specialize in the great sage Ramana Maharshi’s self-inquiry and other teachings but with certain added lessons I’ve learned, primarily around the importance of dealing with psychological obstacles.

My suggestions for seekers, roughly based on my own path, are to quiet the mind and look inward at the I. This breaks down as:

1) get an intellectual big picture framework (in my case, Vedanta — obtained through talking with knowledgeable people and reading scriptures and commentaries),

2) resolve doubts about it by asking questions of teachers,

3) purify the mind. This means to become honest about one’s desires and listen to one’s negative emotions. This quiets the mind and concentrates it. Psychoanalysis/psychoanalytic psychotherapy (these are specific types of therapy, not just any therapy) and journaling/artistic expression of emotions can be very helpful.

4) engage in 
-Ramana Maharshi's self-inquiry and/or 
-surrender (this means simply ignoring all thought -- except the thought of ignoring all thought) 
Do either of these at every waking moment (not just in sitting meditation). 

Of course, this is not a linear process.

I publish articles, guides, audio/video, books, maintain a mailing list, and offer personal guidance for seekers at my website, Sifting to the Truth and Youtube channel.

Ask me anything about the spiritual path with a few exceptions:

-I'm not interested in proving my qualifications (you'll have to judge that from my answers)

-I won't talk about "what it's like to be enlightened" (the answers are always misleading)

-I'm not interested in giving an autobiographical description of my path, realizations, etc. 

Other than that, fire away.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:13 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:13 PM

RE: Sincere seekers, ask me (almost) anything about the path

Is this a commercial venture?
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:24 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:24 PM

Chris Marti:
Is this a commercial venture?
I teach students on a donation basis, and I sell inexpensive books.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:41 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:41 PM

I assume no one teaches or writes this stuff? And no one accepts donations?

emoticon
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:43 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:43 PM

Chris Marti:

emoticon
Nope, if there's stuff taught or written, then there's someone who's teaching or writing. If there are donations, then someone accepts them. But are any of these the case? And if so, who says so? That might be an interesting question to ponder.
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:45 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:44 PM

Are you willing to teach my brother?  He died a few years ago, but that shouldn't be an obstacle, right? emoticon
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:45 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:45 PM

Yeah, let me know how that goes, will ya?
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:47 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:47 PM

curious:
Are you willing to teach my brother?  He died a few years ago, but that shouldn't be an obstacle, right? emoticon
Not at all. Teaching him right now, as it turns out. 
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:48 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:48 PM

Chris Marti:
Yeah, let me know how that goes, will ya?
I'm probably going to forget, to be honest.
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:49 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:49 PM

nintheye:
curious:

Ha ha!  Very good.  I'm not sure everyone will get that point though.  emoticon
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:53 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:53 PM

curious:
nintheye:
curious:

Ha ha!  Very good.  I'm not sure everyone will get that point though.  emoticon
He that hath ears to hear...emoticon
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:56 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 3:56 PM

George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 6:22 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 5:59 PM

Hi 9th,

I have so many questions that I have always wanted to ask! I'm sure many of them are relevant to people here who have spent too much time meditating and let their careers slide.

What are the economics of being a spiritual teacher like?

How do you distinguish between students who might have money, students who have no money but might be able to offer fringe benefits, and students who are worthless?

Do you have any regrets about setting yourself up as a spiritual teacher? Anything you would have done differently? Any advice for newbies who might be considering it?

Do you have a plan B in case it doesn't work out, or do you really have to go all-in to convince people?

Ramana Maharshi seems like he was a gifted spiritual entrepreneur, eventually convincing large numbers of people to sit at his feet and attend to his every need while he stared off into space for most of the day. But he had to take large risks to build his brand, years living in darkness with no food and being eaten by insects. For every Ramana Maharshi there must be 999,999 who died or had to go back home and live with their parents. Did you ever consider the high-risk/big-payoff model? If you focus on building cashflow early, does it necessarily constrain the size of your eventual pay-off?

Sorry for so many questions but I've never had this opportunity before to ask a spiritual teacher who is actually open to answering questions about the path.

Thanks
agnostic
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 6:46 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 6:46 PM

agnostic:
Hi 9th,

I have so many questions that I have always wanted to ask! I'm sure many of them are relevant to people here who have spent too much time meditating and let their careers slide.

What are the economics of being a spiritual teacher like?

How do you distinguish between students who might have money, students who have no money but might be able to offer fringe benefits, and students who are worthless?

Do you have any regrets about setting yourself up as a spiritual teacher? Anything you would have done differently? Any advice for newbies who might be considering it?

Do you have a plan B in case it doesn't work out, or do you really have to go all-in to convince people?

Ramana Maharshi seems like he was a gifted spiritual entrepreneur, eventually convincing large numbers of people to sit at his feet and attend to his every need while he stared off into space for most of the day. But he had to take large risks to build his brand, years living in darkness with no food and being eaten by insects. For every Ramana Maharshi there must be 999,999 who died or had to go back home and live with their parents. Did you ever consider the high-risk/big-payoff model? If you focus on building cashflow early, does it necessarily constrain the size of your eventual pay-off?

Sorry for so many questions but I've never had this opportunity before to ask a spiritual teacher who is actually open to answering questions about the path.

Thanks
agnostic
Thanks for your questions about your overwhelming issues with the "issa" fetter from the Abhidharma Sutta. It must be very painful, and I appreciate the courage it takes to ask for help. 

I'd recommend a combination of psychoanalysis and consultation with a qualified spiritual teacher (could be me or someone else). This latter might not be very useful until the fetter is weakened somewhat, however. There's a hard road ahead, but with determination, I am confident you can make it.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 6:54 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 6:50 PM

nintheye:

Thanks for your questions about your overwhelming issues with the "issa" fetter from the Abhidharma Sutta. It must be very painful, and I appreciate the courage it takes to ask for help. 

I'd recommend a combination of psychoanalysis and consultation with a qualified spiritual teacher (could be me or someone else). This latter might not be very useful until the fetter is weakened somewhat, however. There's a hard road ahead, but with determination, I am confident you can make it.

I googled it and found that issa is jealousy. What do you think I'm jealous of?

EDIT: oh, and what is a qualified spiritual teacher?
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:07 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:07 PM

agnostic:
nintheye:

The specifics will have to be found out in your course of therapy. Often jealousy is a defensive reaction that hides some other painful emotion... often from childhood.

As far as what a qualified spiritual teacher is, the traditional Vedantic definition is a shrotriya brahmanistha  -- that is, one who knows the scriptures and who knows the Self. Of course, how is a seeker to know who that is? Scriptural knowledge is a little easier to assess, but not Self-knowledge. The best hint is to find a teacher in whose presence you feel peace.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:12 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:12 PM

I feel quite peaceful chatting to you here and you seem to know what you're talking about, so I'm going to assume for the time being that you are a qualified spiritual teacher.

How were you able to identify my "overwhelming issues with the issa fetter"?
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:17 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:17 PM

What is your opinion of the God particle, also known as 5-meo-dmt?
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:20 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:20 PM

Sleeping Buddha Syndrome:
What is your opinion of the God particle, also known as 5-meo-dmt?
I think it's a cool cosmic experience, and, like any psychedelic, can have limited helpful effects for certain minds, in terms of opening them up and allowing them to break out of certain fixed perspectives.

But it is neither necessary nor sufficient for spiritual awakening.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:32 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/20 7:32 PM

I visualize inhaling 5-meo-dmt on a daily basis. It is helpful in centering for me. When I don't, I feel more depressed.
Mathias, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 5:42 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 5:42 AM

Hi, 

What is your understanding of no-self from your current experience?
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:45 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:45 AM

nintheye:
I’m a spiritual teacher of a roughly Hindu nondual (advaita vedanta) bent, though I also have great respect for and have learned from Buddhism and other nondual traditions. I view them all as simply different windows into the same Truth. 

I help people along the spiritual journey, the path of penetrating the illusion of being a separate person (i.e. "ego"). This leads to freedom, the end of suffering, and profound peace and truth.

I view enlightenment as Self-realization, which is a paradoxical attainment non-attainment, the sought object that destroys the idea that there ever was a seeker, the aesthetic enjoyment that underlies all things. It reveals the illusoriness of the personal self, shows the categories of the mind to be false, and is completion, perfection, and truth beyond words.

"Beyond words" is the key point here; Truth is fundamentally indescribable.

I specialize in the great sage Ramana Maharshi’s self-inquiry and other teachings but with certain added lessons I’ve learned, primarily around the importance of dealing with psychological obstacles.

My suggestions for seekers, roughly based on my own path, are to quiet the mind and look inward at the I. This breaks down as:

1) get an intellectual big picture framework (in my case, Vedanta — obtained through talking with knowledgeable people and reading scriptures and commentaries),

2) resolve doubts about it by asking questions of teachers,

3) purify the mind. This means to become honest about one’s desires and listen to one’s negative emotions. This quiets the mind and concentrates it. Psychoanalysis/psychoanalytic psychotherapy (these are specific types of therapy, not just any therapy) and journaling/artistic expression of emotions can be very helpful.

4) engage in 
-Ramana Maharshi's self-inquiry and/or 
-surrender (this means simply ignoring all thought -- except the thought of ignoring all thought) 
Do either of these at every waking moment (not just in sitting meditation). 

Of course, this is not a linear process.

I publish articles, guides, audio/video, books, maintain a mailing list, and offer personal guidance for seekers at my website, Sifting to the Truth and Youtube channel.

Ask me anything about the spiritual path with a few exceptions:

-I'm not interested in proving my qualifications (you'll have to judge that from my answers)

-I won't talk about "what it's like to be enlightened" (the answers are always misleading)

-I'm not interested in giving an autobiographical description of my path, realizations, etc. 

Other than that, fire away.

https://www.siftingtothetruth.com/
T, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:48 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:48 AM

nintheye:
Chris Marti:

emoticon
Nope, if there's stuff taught or written, then there's someone who's teaching or writing. If there are donations, then someone accepts them. But are any of these the case? And if so, who says so? That might be an interesting question to ponder.
I'm a bit lost. If there are no people, nothing taught or written.. and whatever else parts of the illusion are completely and utterly not-real... how are you interacting with these nobodies in this visible no-writing, and spreading your no-teaching?

I'm legitimately confused as to how that works. Clearly something is happening here in the void of forms. 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:50 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:50 AM

Clearly something is happening here in the void of forms. 

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:58 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:58 AM

Are we all really going to pretend that this is not a crudely open commercial trolling venture, a flytrap for clients?

Seriously, are we really going to just let this little "The Doctor Is in" cottage industry set up on DhO.

This is ugly, blatant, and shameless commercially oriented shit. This guy is using the forum for his own financial gain.
T, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:39 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:39 AM

Not true! Not true!

One only donates what the heart dictates - if one can only find either the one, the donation, or the heart to be real. 
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:43 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:42 AM

T:
Not true! Not true!

One only donates what the heart dictates - if one can only find either the one, the donation, or the heart to be real. 

He is soliciting "sincere seekers", T. You know what thinks of "seekers." That should tell you what he thinks of sincerity.

(edit) emoticon. a little slow on the uptake here. Damn, man, your humor is straight deadpan dry. Nicely done.
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:47 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:45 AM

T:
nintheye:
Chris Marti:

emoticon
I'm a bit lost. If there are no people, nothing taught or written.. and whatever else parts of the illusion are completely and utterly not-real... how are you interacting with these nobodies in this visible no-writing, and spreading your no-teaching?

I'm legitimately confused as to how that works. Clearly something is happening here in the void of forms. 
What I'm saying here is not that important for seekers, and it's not something that one can understand with the mind. Chris brought it up because it was something we had discussed on some other thread. 

There are many ways of describing truth, and all of them are problematic in different ways.

For seekers, the simpler point of view is just this: that appearances are not what they appear to be. They appear to be separate, bounded objects but are in fact nothing other than the Self.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:47 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:47 AM

Tim Farrington:
Are we all really going to pretend that this is not a crudely open commercial trolling venture, a flytrap for clients?

Seriously, are we really going to just let this little "The Doctor Is in" cottage industry set up on DhO.

This is ugly, blatant, and shameless commercially oriented shit. This guy is using the forum for his own financial gain.

Have some compassion bitch, everyone's gotta eat
thumbnail
Smiling Stone, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:51 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:51 AM

Yep, you came back just a short while ago.
We have Kim Katami, who does the trick with more "panache", but still happens to annoy many of our favorite moderator!
Anyway, dhamma merchants, advaita merchants...
As long as there are people buying into their wisdom, they'll show up. This one seems especially... stiff in his non-duality boots.
Did you try his youtube videos?  you can ask for a private consultation there...

I am kind of sorry for the ones from our crew who fall into this... solidification of views... of ways of perceiving...
Wake up!

Love and metta nonetheless
smiling stone
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:51 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:51 AM

Bullshit. Business as usual bullshit.
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:52 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:52 AM

agnostic:
Tim Farrington:

Fuck compassion, bitch. This guy's not getting fat on sincere seekers on DhO if I can help it.
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:54 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:54 AM

Smiling Stone:
Yep, you came back just a short while ago.
We have Kim Katami, who does the trick with more "panache", but still happens to annoy many of our favorite moderator!
Anyway, dhamma merchants, advaita merchants...
As long as there are people buying into their wisdom, they'll show up. This one seems especially... stiff in his non-duality boots.
Did you try his youtube videos?  you can ask for a private consultation there...

I am kind of sorry for the ones from our crew who fall into this... solidification of views... of ways of perceiving...
Wake up!

Love and metta nonetheless
smiling stone

ain't nobody of our crew falling for this shit if i can help it.
T, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:55 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:55 AM

Tim Farrington:
agnostic:
Tim Farrington:

Fuck compassion, bitch. This guy's not getting fat on sincere seekers on DhO if I can help it.
Anyone engaging their awareness properly would note that he has said, essentially, that seekers = suckers. I'm less concerned than you, Tim. However, it takes all kinds to keep this empty world not-spinning. I'm with agnostic.

If (no)one chooses to be led blindly then (no)one can be hurt. 
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:57 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:57 AM

T:
Tim Farrington:
agnostic:
Tim Farrington:

Anyone engaging their awareness properly would note that he has said, essentially, that seekers = suckers. I'm less concerned than you, Tim. However, it takes all kinds to keep this empty world not-spinning. I'm with agnostic.

If (no)one chooses to be led blindly then (no)one can be hurt. 

T, you're a kinder, more tolerant man than i am, my friend. I want this fucking flea market table shut down.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:11 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:05 AM

nintheye:
agnostic:
nintheye:

The specifics will have to be found out in your course of therapy. Often jealousy is a defensive reaction that hides some other painful emotion... often from childhood.

As far as what a qualified spiritual teacher is, the traditional Vedantic definition is a shrotriya brahmanistha  -- that is, one who knows the scriptures and who knows the Self. Of course, how is a seeker to know who that is? Scriptural knowledge is a little easier to assess, but not Self-knowledge. The best hint is to find a teacher in whose presence you feel peace.

Hi 9th,

I think you might be right ... I had a dream last night where everyone was looking up to me. I realize that I am jealous of spiritual teachers!

Do you recommend that I try being a spiritual teacher to see if it’s what I really want?

Or should I talk it out with a qualified spiritual teacher first? How could I be sure they weren’t just trying to steer me away from it to keep the numbers down?

I think having the answer to these questions could be helpful for others on here as well.

Thanks
agnostic

PS I'd prefer to avoid psychoanalysis if possible because I already wasted 15 years and tens of thousands of dollars on therapists and they all failed to identify my jealousy issues.
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:14 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:14 AM

agnostic:
nintheye:
agnostic:
nintheye:

Hi 9th,

I think you might be right ... I had a dream last night where everyone was looking up to me. I realize that I am jealous of spiritual teachers!

Do you recommend that I try being a spiritual teacher to see if it’s what I really want?

Or should I talk it out with a qualified spiritual teacher first? How could I be sure they weren’t just trying to steer me away from it to keep the numbers down?

I think having the answer to these questions could be helpful for others on here as well.

Thanks
agnostic

PS I'd prefer to avoid psychoanalysis if possible because I already wasted 15 years and tens of thousands of dollars on therapists and they all failed to identify my jealousy issues.

This is a very good time for everyone to keep their senses of humor. Except me. I am dead fucking serious, worse, i am kill fucking serious. I want to kill this scam, I want this little shop of horrors shut down.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:33 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:32 AM

Tim Farrington:

This is a very good time for everyone to keep their senses of humor. Except me. I am dead fucking serious, worse, i am kill fucking serious. I want to kill this scam, I want this little shop of horrors shut down.

Dude, I'm serious too. I really am tempted by this spiritual teacher gig. I think that 9th with his wealth of experience and qualifications could help avert a suboptimal outcome for everyone here ...
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:37 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:37 AM

agnostic:
Tim Farrington:

Dude, I'm serious too. I really am tempted by this spiritual teacher gig. I think that 9th with his wealth of experience and qualifications could help avert a suboptimal outcome for everyone here ...
Dude, the only outcome this thing is going to have is this shit shut down.
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:08 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:08 AM

agnostic:
nintheye:
agnostic:
nintheye:

Hi 9th,

Thanks
agnostic

I'm honestly sorry you're in such profound pain. And I can certainly sympathize with therapists who don't do a good job, and that you've spent a lot of time and effort already. But not all therapists are the same, and not all therapeutic schools are the same. My guess is that you haven't been in proper psychoanalysis. That would be my recommendation for you. Google a psychoanalytic institute near you and ask for a referral. Profound childhood problems can take a lifetime to fix. There really isn't any substitute for dealing with them.

I could tell you to ignore your thoughts; that would be the easy, instant path to peace, but it's unlikely that you would be able to do it without hugely more mental calmness. That's what enables one to concentrate on the spiritual path. Seeing spiritual teachers you respect in person, reading spiritual scriptures, and prayer can all be helpful too. Good luck.
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:12 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:12 AM

nintheye:
agnostic:
nintheye:
agnostic:
nintheye:

Hi 9th,

Thanks
agnostic

I'm honestly sorry you're in such profound pain. And I can certainly sympathize with therapists who don't do a good job, and that you've spent a lot of time and effort already. But not all therapists are the same, and not all therapeutic schools are the same. My guess is that you haven't been in proper psychoanalysis. That would be my recommendation for you. Google a psychoanalytic institute near you and ask for a referral. Profound childhood problems can take a lifetime to fix. There really isn't any substitute for dealing with them.

I could tell you to ignore your thoughts; that would be the easy, instant path to peace, but it's unlikely that you would be able to do it without hugely more mental calmness. That's what enables one to concentrate on the spiritual path. Seeing spiritual teachers you respect in person, reading spiritual scriptures, and prayer can all be helpful too. Good luck.

Again, every person who can keep their sense of humor here is all to the good. But this shit ain't funny. If we swallow this shit now for free, we can swallow more later for a donation. We need to simply clean this shit up,
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:37 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:34 AM

nintheye:

I don't know teacher, proper psychoanalysis sounds like it might take a while. I’m already 46 and I’m busy fucking up my own kids and besides, I’m in a hurry to get enlightened like you.

I think it might be better to hit the road first and build my brand before setting up shop. I was thinking of going to India and begging for alms and meditating in public places for a bit to earn my chops.

Would you be able to look after my money while I’m gone?

Also, I’m worried about my wife and kids. Do you have some kind of communal living situation where you could keep an eye on them?

Sorry, I know it’s a lot to ask, but your pitch really resonated with me and now I’m desperate to get enlightened.

Thanks again
agnostic
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:44 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:44 AM

agnostic:
nintheye:

I don't know teacher, proper psychoanalysis sounds like it might take a while. I’m already 46 and I’m busy fucking up my own kids and besides, I’m in a hurry to get enlightened like you.

I think it might be better to hit the road first and build my brand before setting up shop. I was thinking of going to India and begging for alms and meditating in public places for a bit to earn my chops.

Would you be able to look after my money while I’m gone?

Also, I’m worried about my wife and kids. Do you have some kind of communal living situation where you could keep an eye on them?

Sorry, I know it’s a lot to ask, but your pitch really resonated with me and now I’m desperate to get enlightened.

Thanks again
agnostic

The issue here is, do we really want to negotiate with a drug pusher about how much space he is allowed on the playground?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 11:16 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 11:07 AM

I'm locking this thread. It's inappropriate at this point, and for several reasons. I've also banned a poster for violating the posting rules of DhO. Posters can't call other posters names to accuse them of doing illegal things just because we don't agree with them, or if we don't like them, or what they're saying.

Chris Marti
DhO Moderator
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:49 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 9:46 PM

Hi 9th,

I'm sorry for what I did on your thread today. It was immature of me and I got carried away.

I get angry when I think I see people trying to sell enlightenment, which in my opinion is free because it doesn't exist, but it seems like you are a decent person who wants to help people.

Sorry again,
agnostic
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:04 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:04 PM

agnostic:
Hi 9th,

I'm sorry for what I did on your thread today. It was immature of me and I got carried away.

I get angry when I think I see people trying to sell enlightenment, which in my opinion is free because it doesn't exist, but it seems like you are a decent person who wants to help people.

Sorry again,
agnostic
Thanks for saying that. I appreciate it.
nintheye, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:17 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:15 PM

Mathias:
Hi, 

What is your understanding of no-self from your current experience?
There are no useful general abstract answers to questions like these... I could say it is the realization that the doing, experiencing self is an illusion, a misconception, a miscognition, a false assumption... I can and have said all these things, and they can be useful for seekers.

But then in the end even these very words would be based on that very illusion, and so they would negate themselves. The mystery of no-self can't be said to be 'understood.' One can only move away from all the false understandings, and cut the rug out from under all of them, and what remains is... the silence which is Truth, and which is beyond understanding. It is certainly immensely paradoxical to talk about an understanding of no-self from 'my current experience.' That would be the last place to find it.
Mike Smirnoff, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:59 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 10:54 PM

Hi Chris,

I'm at a little loss here, as to what is happening and on what basis decisions are made.

Malcolm called Nicky Anti-Semetic -- is that name calling? Whether he was right or wrong is a different matter -- I'd offer no opinion there. Fact remains he called him that. Out in the open -- instead of just reporting it to you -- that led to a big thread. Is that name calling? But to quote your words, I would say he fell under the category of "we don't agree with them, or if we don't like them, or what they're saying." 

Here's a definition of name-calling:

"abusive language or insults"

CalIing someone anti-semetic is an insult. Whether righ tor wrong is a different matter. So, what Malcolm did was name-calling, when seen this way. And I repeat -- out in the open, on this forum -- instead of just reporting it to you. What action has been taken on that front with Malcolm? 

This input/question of mine is to try to understand, how just this forum is and the politics of this forum.
I'd appreciate a precise response.

Mike.

thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 11:17 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 11:17 PM

No, he didn't. He called the propaganda Nicky was linking to anti-semitic. 
Mike Smirnoff, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 11:36 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 11:33 PM

Malcolm said to Nicky: "You are clearly pushing an anti-semitic agenda under the guide of buddhist dharma, and then being dishonest when challenged."

This is an insult. OK, it's calling someone pushing an anti-semitic agenda -- as close as it gets to calling someone anti-semitic. If you want to get technical about it, saying: "You are clearly pushing an anti-semitic agenda under the guide of buddhist dhamma" is an insult. Then calling someone dishonest -- that's another insult.

**Stated out in the open -- because Malcolm didn't like what Nicky said.

Linda -- I don't want to argue further with you on this. I don't see much point to it. You have your view and I have mine at this point.  I appreciate your input. At this point, I'd wait for Chris's or another moderators response -- if they're amenable to providing one. Chris/another moderator -- I'd still appreciate a response -- though I see it's late at night EST. (Linda -- of course -- and this goes without saying -- feel free to keep responding -- if it suits you).

thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 1:38 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 1:38 AM

Mike Smirnoff:

Malcolm said to Nicky: "You are clearly pushing an anti-semitic agenda under the guide of buddhist dharma, and then being dishonest when challenged."

This is an insult. OK, it's calling someone pushing an anti-semitic agenda -- as close as it gets to calling someone anti-semitic. If you want to get technical about it, saying: "You are clearly pushing an anti-semitic agenda under the guide of buddhist dhamma" is an insult. Then calling someone dishonest -- that's another insult.

**Stated out in the open -- because Malcolm didn't like what Nicky said.

Linda -- I don't want to argue further with you on this. I don't see much point to it. You have your view and I have mine at this point.  I appreciate your input. At this point, I'd wait for Chris's or another moderators response -- if they're amenable to providing one. Chris/another moderator -- I'd still appreciate a response -- though I see it's late at night EST. (Linda -- of course -- and this goes without saying -- feel free to keep responding -- if it suits you).

Hi Mike, I realise that this wasn't directed at me, and it may be uncomfortable to receive a reply from me, but I will try to add skilfully to the conversation.

Yes I definitely said what you quoted and further stated that it was the behaviour of a scoundrel.  I attempted to phrase this in terms of behaviour rather than the person, as I think all behaviour can be changed.  So I did try quite hard to judge the behaviour, not the person. Not saying I succeeded, but that was my intent, as might be gathered from some of the other things I wrote in the relevant thread.  Including the request that the person involved either stop this behaviour, or alternatively be banned, with my preference for the first course of action.

The reasons I did so are summed up by the Paradox of Intolerance, which states that "if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant."  In other words, tolerance must have limits, otherwise it is weaponsed to destroy civil society. That is the process I perceived, and why I acted as I did.

However, I am quite willing to bear the consequences of my actions. If I were to be banned for this, I would still see it as time very well spent, and I would do the same thing again. Or equally, if you would like for me leave the Dharma overground and not return, then say so clearly and that is what I will do.  I would suggest you first examine your own reasons for being uncomfortable with my behaviour, but that would be up to you.

So need to appeal to the moderators.  If you ask me to leave, I will do so. 

Cheers

Malcolm 
Mike Smirnoff, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 1:46 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 1:44 AM

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for responding. I've not read your response carefully -- I will -- but let me say this based on a cursory reading of what you wrote:

I DON'T want anyone to be banned -- be it you or Nicky or Tim or anyone. Of course, if some one gets banned, then I can't do anything about it -- that's up to the moderators. All I'm pointing out is how non-black-and-white things are.

So -- let me make it clear -- I don't want you to leave -- nor do I want you to be banned. It's all part of a big conversation which will hopefully get us somewhere better. Quite frankly, I've said on this post, that you have insulted Nicky -- which means, I have insulted you, which means, I should be possibly banned too by that logic! 

All part of a conversation -- which will hopefully get us all somewhere better.

PS. I did report one of your posts to the moderator(s) -- though the intention is not banning -- intention is to have a conversation -- get to the truth.

Mike.
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 1:56 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 1:56 AM

Mike Smirnoff:

PS. I did report one of your posts to the moderator(s) -- though the intention is not banning -- intention is to have a conversation -- get to the truth.

Mike.

Good!  You should do what you think is right.

M.
Mike Smirnoff, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 2:10 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 2:10 AM

Chris -- I'm unable to send a Personal Message. I don't know why. When I try to find by Chris, a lot of Chris's show up but not Chris Marti.

Anyway -- I have flagged two posts.
I don't know how this works -- how decisions are taken -- but I *don't* want anyone banned as I said in a previous message on this thread just because I flagged someone. Have a conversation, that's about it is all I'm looking for.
Mike Smirnoff, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:32 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:32 AM

Hi Malcolm,

I got a chance to look at your post a little more. Thanks again for writing.

I have no doubt that your intentions are good. You seem to be an Elder of this forum -- so is my guess -- I've not been here long enough.

What I've learned is -- and this likely goes in not the same direction as what the Buddha taught -- which is just good intentions is not enough. With the best of intentions, we might screw up horribly -- or there might be some horrible hidden intentions sitting beneath the surface. This is where I think politics comes in. We Buddhists, I have seen are weak at politics -- many of us desist it -- and if that happens, subconsciously, we embibe the same political systems where we either live (let's say US) or what we read (let's say, the politics of the Pali Canon).

It's upto the Elders here to decide whether it's a good idea to call separately out from a thread, tell they are doing this and this -- in front of everyone -- and this is being done by an Elder -- and the other person seems defenseless or at least, no one seems to be coming to their defense. It's upto the Elders here to decide what kind of socio-political system they want here on this forum. I really don't know. I am new. I don't know any of the history of this place. I was just saying some things based on what I  saw. 

I absolutely agree with:

"if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant."

Question arises: whether one should be tolerant with how you dealt with the situation? Imagine everyone starts pulling out what other person says and start pointing fingers at them, out in the open. I really don't know. I'm not the one to answer that because I'm too new here -- and I don't know the history of this forum -- and further, I'm not a moderator. I'm happy to give some input, that's about all I can do. (I know I'm being repetitive here!) And maybe I'm the one absolutely wrong here -- maybe the way you behaved is exactly what should have happened -- I don't know. So I leave it to the moderators.

But this I'll say without doubt: we Buddhists need to be better about our politics. And this is a special kind of place. Here, people who are in all kinds of darkness come. I came here when no one else understood me and here, people could understand at least a bit of what I was going through. It is a special place. And it needs a certain kind of politics. 

Mike.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:47 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:47 AM

Sometimes when you need to find an adressee, it is easier if you print the names together. Try "Chrism" and see if the name shows up. If that doesn't work, try "Marti". I have learned to work around the glitches. 
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:55 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:52 AM

Definitely not an elder Mike. Just another overgrown fool.  Although (maybe) as Albert Collins says "a good fool is hard to find."
Mike Smirnoff, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:57 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:57 AM

Thanks! Found him & wrote to him.

Mike.
Mike Smirnoff, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:59 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 3:59 AM

emoticon Haha! Thanks for making me laugh!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 4:21 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 4:20 AM

I'm glad it worked. I'm all for communication. 

Sorry for being off topic. 
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 6:59 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 6:55 AM

Hi Malcom,

From my perspective, you made an easy play for the moral high ground. And why wouldn't you, since Nicky seemed willing to go down in flames and you would come up smelling of roses.

I resist anti-Semitism where I see it (as well as any other ism or anti-ism), but personally I prefer to counter facts with facts rather than calls to higher moral authority. I thought Nicky's choice of facts was selective and there's more than enough facts to counter with on the other side. Some of his points were more valid I thought and could have been interesting to discuss further, although probably not the time or the place.

I'm aware of the Paradox of Intolerance, but context is important and we are on a dharma forum here, no one is trying to organize a rally.

Cheers
agnostic
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 7:46 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 7:45 AM

CalIing someone anti-semetic is an insult. Whether righ tor wrong is a different matter. So, what Malcolm did was name-calling, when seen this way. And I repeat -- out in the open, on this forum -- instead of just reporting it to you. What action has been taken on that front with Malcolm? 

Hello, Mike. These are my judgment calls. Someone has to make them. I do promise that I do my best to be fair, and to take the time to read through all the material people report. Everyone won't agree with me when I take action, but that's how this works. You can read all about the community rules and the role of moderators on the DhO home page. I've linked everyone to that page multiple times this week. It's seldom seen so much traffic:

https://www.dharmaoverground.org/home

Thank you for the question,

- Chris

And now I'm really locking the thread - I messed up and forgot to come back and do that yesterday.

Breadcrumb