How to quote other threads?

thumbnail
Milo, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 2:13 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 2:13 AM

How to quote other threads?

I notice many of you have a better ability with the forum software than I do and looking for advice.

I'd like to reply in thread two to Curious's post in the first Advaita thread and preserve the quotations. I'd also like to break up the reply into several smaller quotes for easier reading. How do you get this to work properly? Every time I try to copy or split quotes it breaks the inline function.

Thanks in advance dharma friends!
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 6:16 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 6:14 AM

RE: How to quote other threads?

I notice many of you have a better ability with the forum software than I do and looking for advice.

First, go to the posts in the old thread that you want to copy, highlight the text you want, and copy it.

Second, start a new post in the newer thread in which your new post will appear.

Third, paste the copied text from the old thread into the top line of your new post. Once copied, from the last character in your pasted text, hit return/enter at least three times (this leaves space for you to type into a non-quoted area of the new post.)

Fourth, using your mouse, highlight just the text you pasted into the new post, and click the editor's quote marks button (in the text editor above the post box the two quote marks are next to the last button in the top row of button, right next to the red source marks that look like <>. ) This will cause the coded language this system uses to put quote marks and a shaded quote box around your quoted text, after you submit the post.

Finally, use your mouse to go back to the new text area you created below the quoted text, and type your new text below the quote box you just created.

Repeat as necessary.

So that's my way. There are others. The text editor here, like all web-based text editors I have ever used, is ham-handed at best and fucking useless at worst. The only way to use it well (if that's even possible) is, well, to use it a lot.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 6:52 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 6:52 AM

Oh, one more tip -- it helps to use more than one browser window while doing text quoting from another thread. Actually, that's useful almost all the time.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:45 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:45 AM

Hi Chris,

My editor doesn't have a quote marks button - here is a screenshot. It's had the button sometimes in the past, but mostly not. I'm using Chrome but I tried Firefox as well and same problem.

I end up having to find an old post of mine which already has an inline quote, opening it to edit and copying the quote out of there (you have to also copy a bit of the text before and after the quote to get it to work).

Thanks
agnostic
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:48 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 7:48 AM

I will need to investigate this one, Agnostic. Give me a little time, okay? I may need to call in technical reinforcements.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:14 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 8:13 AM

Chris Marti:
I will need to investigate this one, Agnostic. Give me a little time, okay? I may need to call in technical reinforcements.

Sure no problem. If it's just me then I'm fine with the workaround. Just thought I'd mention it in case other people are having the same issue or it's indicative of another problem.
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 11:36 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 11:28 AM

It could be that your browser blocks certain scripts from running?
when you open a page, it may show a popup, or some notification in the top bar of the browser, or in the toolbar near the address bar, saying that this page want to execute scripts that might not be safe, and if you click that and allow the scripts, it may change some of the functionalities of the page? I would try it.

-- Edit: Also not having latest versions of browser could be a cause too.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:14 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:13 PM

Siavash:
It could be that your browser blocks certain scripts from running?
when you open a page, it may show a popup, or some notification in the top bar of the browser, or in the toolbar near the address bar, saying that this page want to execute scripts that might not be safe, and if you click that and allow the scripts, it may change some of the functionalities of the page? I would try it.

-- Edit: Also not having latest versions of browser could be a cause too.

Hi Siavash,

No popus and doesn't look like the brower is blocking scripts on DhO and I have JavaScript enabled for all sites.

Updated to the latest version of Chrome and same issue.

When it has worked in the past, it seems unrelated to any system changes so it's a weird bug.

Thanks
agnostic
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:24 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:24 PM

Has anyone tried a different browser or an incognito window in Chrome?
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:32 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:27 PM

Chris Marti:

I checked Safari on Mac now, and it doesn't have any problem. Always using Chrome on Mac.

-- Edit: And no problem with incognito window in Chrome also.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:33 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:32 PM

I can't replicate the problem on MacOS or Windows 10, and on any browser on either platform, so I suspect a permissions issue inside of DhO (which is really a package called "Liferay".)
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:42 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:42 PM

It can be a problem with permissions.

The screenshot that Agnostic has shared, the source button is missing, and also the toolbar under the Message Boards label is missing too, that includes buttons like Message Boards Home, Recent Posts and etc. Also besides the address bar there is a button with label Guest, which I don't know what that is!
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:55 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 12:55 PM

Agnostic,

Are you logged in? It doesn't look like it. If you were, your login name would appear in the far upper right-hand corner of your screenshot. In that image you linked us to, it says "Guest" and not "Agnostic."

Please check this.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 1:09 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 1:09 PM

Is it possible to write without being logged in? Then how come the post is from Agnostic, not from Guest? 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 1:30 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 1:15 PM

If you are not logged in, there is no reply button. At least that's how it is for me. So that guest there, could be something else (Probably the Google Account).

That screenshot does not include the top part of the page, that contains Agnostic's logged in name.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 2:43 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 2:43 PM

I've asked for someone who has access to the basement and the attic of DhO to look at Agnostic's issue.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 3:03 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 3:03 PM

Chris Marti:
Agnostic,

Are you logged in? It doesn't look like it. If you were, your login name would appear in the far upper right-hand corner of your screenshot. In that image you linked us to, it says "Guest" and not "Agnostic."

Please check this.

That Guest login was just the Google login on Chrome. I as logged into DhO as agnostic, you just can't see that bit of the screen.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 3:32 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 3:32 PM

Chris Marti:

I tried Chrome both regular and incognito, also Firefox. I'm on Windows 10.
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 3:43 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 3:43 PM

agnostic:
Chris Marti:

I tried Chrome both regular and incognito, also Firefox. I'm on Windows 10.

Then it's not an issue with your browsers. And if singing out and signing in again doesn't change it, then your user's record in DhO database should be changed and fixed.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 7:56 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 7:56 AM

Agnostic, I reported your problem as promised, and this is apparently a problem that has never been solved. It has come up before and has been investigated, but with no resolution.

I'm very sorry. I hate having to deliver this message. 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 8:19 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 8:19 AM

I don't know Liferay' data model and database structure, but if it's because of permissions (more likely), then there should be a solution for it. If the user data in database is writable, then it would need running a few queries. By first comparing this user' data (Agnostic') with another user' data that doesn't have any problem, and then overwriting permissions of this user with the other user' data that works fine.

Obviously I am suggesting direct access to database, be it MySql or something else.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 8:34 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 8:34 AM

Chris Marti:
Agnostic, I reported your problem as promised, and this is apparently a problem that has never been solved. It has come up before and has been investigated, but with no resolution.

I'm very sorry. I hate having to deliver this message. 

Hi Chris,

No problem at all. Thanks for trying. I feel bad making you do all that extra work when really for me it's not much of a problem at all. I just posted it in case anyone else has the same problem and so they have the workaround.

Thanks again
agnostic
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 10:15 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/18/20 8:39 AM

Dude, I would do more about this if I could do more about this. It has come up before, as have some other (I think) related issues. As siavash has said, it seems to be account/permissions based.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 7:40 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/20/20 7:40 AM

Agnostic - I've heard from someone who has been able to figure out your quote button issue. Please see if you can resize your browser window, per the comment below:

It's a browser size issue (horizontally). If you make your browser sufficiently small horizontally and then reply to a post you will be missing the quote button, amongst others, from the editor toolbar. The fix/workaround is simply to have the user use a larger browser window if they have a really tiny screen so that isn't possible then I don't really know what to do.
thumbnail
Milo, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 1:15 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/20 1:15 PM

Thanks Chris et al. I will give that a try!

Breadcrumb