Diagnosis, please.

David Oxford, modified 12 Years ago at 7/10/11 1:14 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/10/11 1:14 PM

Diagnosis, please.

My first post. Hope it comes up in the right section.

I've just come back from a week's retreat at Gaia House in Devon. I've read through the Idiot's Guide to Dharma Diagnosis on this site but can't really place where I'm at. Any views would be appreciated.

Had a few deeply blissful djana experiences, arising from practicing Metta. Had a lot of physical pain and some Hindrance attacks: blank mind, hopeless sleepiness etc.
Had three experiences in a few hours of total body aliveness, the first starting with the feet and rapidly spreading in a strong tingling sensation. This first experience was very pleasurable. The next was made up of tiny visual/tactile explosions over entire body area, like bubbles bursting. Lasted several minutes but I couldn't find a way to take it anywhere else.
On going to bed I found that my entire body was again made up of tiny explosions, rather scary as I could not slow them down or whatever. Allowed myself to fall asleep with these pulsations still operating. Woke up 4a.m. feeling normal but lousy.
Thanks, guys, for any thoughts.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 7/11/11 12:37 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/11/11 12:37 AM

RE: Diagnosis, please.

Deeply blissful experiences: generally either 1st or 2nd jhana or the Arising and Passing Away (A&P).

Hard physical pain, most of the time is 3rd insight stage, Knowledge of the Three Characteristics.

Tingling spreading through the body with intensity of natural presence: very typical of the A&P.

Tiny explosions: almost always the A&P, waking up early, almost always A&P, which can be scary for some.

Ah, Gaia House: what a beautiful place. Have you read MCTB for more on the insight stages (found on the wiki and other places)?

Daniel
David Oxford, modified 12 Years ago at 7/11/11 9:48 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/11/11 9:48 AM

RE: Diagnosis, please.

Many thanks, Daniel. I found your response very helpful. I've done a lot of reading but will do some more, as you suggest.
Will continue with practice and await developments. I now believe that I was on the threshold of A&P but didn't cross it.
Yes, Gaia House is beautiful, peaceful and serene most of the time - sounds like you've been there!