Thanks to Lewis for EEG technical support.

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 3 Years ago at 5/4/20 10:31 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/4/20 10:31 AM

Thanks to Lewis for EEG technical support.

Hey, just wanted to give a public shout out of deep gratitude to Lewis, a guy who has been helping me to get an XBox One Controller to work with Lab Streaming Layer to get detailed markers into NeuroPype EEG processing software so that I can get more detailed, less interruptive marks of internal experience into the EEG data streams from my Cognionics Quick-20R.

His tireless work to try to sort out the seemingly endless bugs and technical issues, which have popped up like an ever-expanding swarm of locusts, has been remarkable.

May this good work help many.

Thanks again!

Daniel
thumbnail
Lewis James, modified 3 Years ago at 5/4/20 3:21 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/4/20 3:21 PM

RE: Thanks to Lewis for EEG technical support.

My pleasure Daniel, thanks for the shout out.

I have put the forked project up on github, in case it's useful for anyone doing similar research:

https://github.com/lewispollard/App-GameController

This is still very much in a beta stage, and is built to target xbox controllers on Windows 10. The original project was using out of date QT and DirectInput libraries which have been updated.
Brian, modified 3 Years ago at 5/5/20 2:05 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/5/20 2:05 AM

This is very cool. Can you say what the recordings are for?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 3 Years ago at 5/5/20 8:43 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/5/20 8:43 PM

Yep. My notion is that the stages of insight, particularly the EQ>ThreeDoors>Fruition>Afterglow sequence, have signatures that can be identified on EEG.

In doing this project, I also noticed that, from an EEG marking point of view, I have vastly more neuro than phenomenology in my neurophenomenology, meaning that I might have a 150MB EEG file with only a few simple marks in it, meaning that most of the data is much less useful than it might be if it were better marked.

So, having played around, schemed, read, dreamed, and explored, I thought that a standard game controller would be a good way to mark the EEG with more precision and detail, so have been working on that project now intermittently since February, and, with Lewis' help, we are getting closer though not quite there yet, almost entirely due to NeuroPype issues at this point, though I am slowly grinding those down also.

Good times!
Jeroen, modified 3 Years ago at 5/6/20 2:36 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/6/20 2:11 AM

I am also quite curious, as it would help objectify these phenomena and support your notion that they are actually "biological", or neurological hardware phenomena.

However, since subjective experiences as dramatic as they come, for example "the exploding head syndrome", do not necessarily come with a noticable EEG correlate, I can't rule out the possibility that not much will show up on a succesful recording of such an event.

PS is your kasina practice reliably suppressing your alpha with eyes closed, as I would hypothesize ;) ?
Brian, modified 3 Years ago at 3/11/21 9:13 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/6/20 10:31 PM

Are fruitions cessations? Or what's the relationship, if there is one.
thumbnail
Paul Anthony, modified 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 2:14 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 2:13 PM

EEG neurofeedback

HI folks, 

This is really a reply to Daniel's post about his exploration of EEG but it seems like a new topic.

EEG neurofeedback is a current hot topic with me and I'm looking for recommendations on some credible sources of info that really explore the intersection between vipassana practices like those discussed hereabouts and the various forms of EEG neurofeedback.  I know there's a lot of stuff out there but it seems a bit siloed, i.e some of it is very strong on the neurofeedback side and a bit generic on the meditation practice, or vice versa.  Also, just to be clear, I'm really talking about the type of EEG neurofeedback that you find in wide clinical use for ADHD and things like that, rather than the research grade fMRI stuff that none of us can get our hands on.  

This technology is out there and getting cheaper - what can we do with it? 

Thanks, Paul

Breadcrumb