Analayo - satipatthana practice guide

thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 3 Years ago at 5/11/20 4:03 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/11/20 4:03 AM

Analayo - satipatthana practice guide

Howdy all,
I hope you are all well.

I recently stumbled upon this most excellent guide, by (IMO) the foremost Buddhist scholar of our time, the venerable Analayo.

He is well known for his works regarding the Satipatthana sutta, which is also online as PDF.  This thread is to introduce this most excellent practice guide he developed to use that sutta in a practica way.

I reccomend it highly https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/pdf/5-personen/analayo/satipatthanapracticeguide.pdf

https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/pdf/5-personen/analayo/satipatthanapracticeguide.pdf

s
tay well
tom
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 5/11/20 4:26 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/11/20 4:24 AM

RE: Analayo - satipatthana practice guide

tom moylan:
Howdy all,
I hope you are all well.

I recently stumbled upon this most excellent guide, by (IMO) the foremost Buddhist scholar of our time, the venerable Analayo.

He is well known for his works regarding the Satipatthana sutta, which is also online as PDF.  This thread is to introduce this most excellent practice guide he developed to use that sutta in a practica way.

I reccomend it highly https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/pdf/5-personen/analayo/satipatthanapracticeguide.pdf

https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/pdf/5-personen/analayo/satipatthanapracticeguide.pdf

s
tay well
tom

Thanks Tom, for this marvelous link to this obviously remarkable man. Joesph Goldstein's introduction frames his accomplishments  perfectly:
Joseph Goldstein, intro to Satipaṭṭhāna Meditation: A Practice Guide

Bhikkhu Anālayo’s first book, Satipaṭṭhāna, The Direct Path to Realization, was a seminal work, bridging the divide between rigorous scholarship and meditative understanding and practice. Following in the tradition of great scholar-practitioners, Anālayo illuminated the profound details of the Satipaṭṭhānasutta, which inspired my own interest in further exploring this pivotal discourse. Meeting Anālayo in person, and later teaching a retreat with him at the Insight Meditation Society, confirmed my initial enthusiasm for what he was offering to Western Dharma practitioners. His remarkable breadth of knowledge and depth of practice have elucidated with great clarity the liberation teachings of the Buddha.

In this current volume, Satipaṭṭhāna Meditation: A Practice Guide, Anālayo moves from a more scholarly approach to an eminently pragmatic discussion of how to put these teachings into practice. Although his comparative study of both the Pāli and the Chinese versions of the text informs this work, it is the clear expression of a graduated path of practice that makes it so compellingly helpful. Anālayo has developed a simple and straightforward map of practice instructions encompassing all four satipaṭṭhānas – the body, feelings, mind, and dharmas (the hindrances and awakening factors) – that build upon one another in a coherent and comprehensive path leading to the final goal.

nuff said, there. What a gift this guy is. We're blessed with a few scholar-practioners here on DhO as well, and they are astounding creatures. I take them one sentence at a time, because this stuff is dense. But I am grateful to be in a place where the dense stuff repays every effort a hundredfold, to snag a New Testament phrase on the fruits of the seed of the scriptural Word.

And hey, fellow alumnus of the DhO class of 2011! when are they going to get that reunion organized in some sunny beach place with umbrella drinks?

love, tim
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 3 Years ago at 5/11/20 7:02 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/11/20 7:01 AM

RE: Analayo - satipatthana practice guide

Hi Tim,
i'm currently enjoying my umbrella drinks in europe.  jonesing for a motorcycle trip to galicia throught the pyrenees but stifled by corona shutdowns of borders.  that said I'm always open to meeting alumnus.  I noticed that too in a comment you made.

Take good careTom

Breadcrumb