Message Boards Message Boards

Practice Logs

Sam's Practice Log

Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Toggle
Sam's Practice Log
Answer
5/22/20 11:32 AM
This is a continuation of https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/20537986 now that I have most of my questions down and doing my Noting practice diligently. I use a Noting style of Shinzen Young's See-Hear-Feel with the modification of pulling out "thinking" as a separate item inspired by Brandon Dayton and Papa Che who were extremely helpful in getting me set up in noting. I'lll post a reply for each day with all my meditations. Constructive feedback is welcome.

RE: Sam's Practice Log
Answer
5/22/20 11:45 AM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Today's Log

Meditations
1) 60 minute Insight Meditation with See-Hear-Feel Noting
2) 20 minute Waking Up app (
https://wakingup.com/) Daily Meditation
3) 20 minute Tibetan Bardo of Death meditation (later)

For 1)
  1. Shizen Young See-Hear-Feel + thinking noting
  2. Greater focus on Rise-Fall for breath in abdomen as it was quiter than normal
  3. Rate about 1-2 notings/second
  4. 98% of thinking future planning of doing this topic but thinking way down since started noting
  5. Not much use of "See"
  6. Lots of tension in the body

For 2) the Waking Up app is pretty advanced meditation app. Today, it presented the followng query which I woulld like some help on a general direction of looking back into conciousness itself.The query was "As you gaze into space, very gently and briefly, look for what's looking. Look for the center of conciousness. Is there something to find? Can you find your head? Or is this just this open field in which all visual perceptions are appearing?"

Answer
5/22/20 12:30 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
One way to get a felt sense of the open field of perception is the Big Mind guided mendiation, which Howard Cohn is well know for. Here is a link on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjvSp70auo and audio: https://mindfulnessexercises.com/big-mind-audio/

If you haven't done this one before, it can be really fun, as well as useful.

Answer
5/23/20 1:32 PM as a reply to Martin.
Todays Log

1) 60 minute Insight Meditation with Out Loud Noting
  1. Noticed that most of my Out Loud Notes were followed by clicking sound in jaw or teeth. Tried to Note that with "Hear-Click" but got way too messy. Papa Che/Brandon/Anyone have any ideas on how to note this or what to do with it as it slows down regular noting?
  2. I have Blepheritis Dry Eye in my eyes and today with my eyes closed, they started to burn. I noted with "Burning"
  3. I don't really use the "See" group of notings unless directed to look into my visual field by the sparsely guided meditation I am using. Any suggested ways on how to work better with this?
  4. Can someone take me the process of inquiry to "look for the thinker" or is that the meditation Martin pointed to yesterday?
2) 20 minute Waking Up Daily Meditation
  1. Just standard breath meditation resting and coming back to the breath
EDIT 3) 30 minutee Tibetan Tonglen Meditation in class

Answer
5/23/20 12:44 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Sam, try and remind yourself that this is a journey of discovery emoticon and as such will require knowing and recognising the mind terrain and testing different approaches. Noting can be fast as clarity is really there but then clarity can go more dull and noting slower is fine too.

Noting "uncertainty" (which is a mind state) is very important when it arises in case of "should I note Hear-Click together" or even "should I just note it all as Hear". All these questions can be either Uncertainty or Doubt and Mind States are an important object to observe.

I look at it like 3 fold;
1 - Body Sensations
2 - Mind States
3 - Feeling tone

So in case of your example above I would note all its components if the clarity is strong;
Thinking, Uncertainty, Unpleasant, Pressure in the Chest (could be anyplace but is usually connected with the arising of Doubt or Uncertainty), and likely image impression in the mind of my chest.

Mind effects the body, body effects the mind. Ping-Pong, Pong-Ping emoticon 

In case you come to a point of feeling See, Hear, Feel being too limiting for you then try the Kenneth Folk version as it includes any and all sorts of labels from these 3 chategories above. Check his videos on You tube.

When it comes to "See" with eyes closed you can try and see if there is an Image Impression of the itch you have. In case I get an itch at the back of my head I also get a image impression of that area in my mind emoticon I actually see the image of the back of my head with all the hair. Of course this is not real and Im not having out of body experience as its just an imagination (I hope Chris doesnt come in and say that all is imagination emoticon we know that intelectually but we need to aim small-miss small, to get the target)
That would be "See".

Also in case there is a sound of a car or a bird and I note "Hear" there will be an image impression of some airplain in the clouds or a bird sitting on a bush. All this is just some image in the mind cojured up by the mind. This is also "See".

When eyes are closed you will see darkness but every once in a while you might notice some flickering in that darkness. This too is "See".

If you are being curious about whether you can see anything in that darkness behind the eyes closed then there is a mind state "Curiousity" and "Looking" emoticon so you are not seeing anything just yet but you ARE Looking and you ARE Curious.

If there is a YOU there is of no importance right nowbut if you insist you can quickly ask a question "who is looking, who is curious" ... wait for a second for an answer and if its not there move on to whatever else is arising like itching, buurning, hearing ... whatever. You dont want to waste time in looking for the supposed sense of self on the expense of missing other arisings and passings emoticon 

And rember to relax any musscle tension that you might discover when "Scanning" any area that might feel stiff like the Jaw, hands or any other musscles. Its ok to note and label "scanning" as its an intention.

Answer
5/24/20 12:48 PM as a reply to Papa Che Dusko.
I knew today was not going to be a great meditation day when I woke up with my right ear clogged and feeling all sorts of pressure. Indeed, my first sit, which was the 60 minute Insight Meditation with At-Loud Noting, was one of the most difficult I have ever done. I can't tell you the amount of times I wanted to quit and was wracked with boredom and ear pain, but I didn't. I made it. So in dealing with the ear situation I noted "uncertain" as Papa Che suggested for a while until I could figure out what to do. Then I settled on a combination of "Feel", "pressure" and sometimes "Pain." My dry eyes, that were closed, acted up again "tearing" and "burning", until I had to switch to open eyes meditation. Noting was aboutt 1-2x/second. Interesting thing with the noting, 99% of my thoughts were "Planning" on writing this log.

The second meditation which was a 20 minute Waking Up Daily Meditation, I didn't note this one. I used this one as a relaxing meditation to follow my breath and come back when my mind was thinking. Unlike the first meditation, the thoughts without Noting were more freeform and discursive.

I may do some meditating with the Rob Burbea book later or maybe I should go out and get ice cream emoticon

Answer
5/25/20 11:30 AM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
So today started much better than yesterday without waking up to the ear pain and issues. In fact, I would say that the 60 minute Insight Meditation with At-Loud Noting even produced some pleasent feelings. Not much to say on this one except my "trusty birds" outside didn't make their usual pleasent racket outside my windows so there were a lot less instances of "Hear" and more focus on "Feel" the body sensations. Thoughts again followed the planning for logging in this topic thought. Noting speed still 1-2 notings/second. I don't know how Daniel gets 10X/second.

The second meditation was again the Waking Up Daily Meditation which was just a normal 20 minute breath meditation of returning awareness back to the breath when thinking.

May do some more meditation later as I am stuck home on this Memorial Day Holiday with nothinng to do emoticon

Answer
5/25/20 12:09 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Nice one! Seems like you are on top of this. 

Don't worry about Ingram's 10 or more sensations per second. It's anyway part of the fast Arising and Passing stage. In that stage one doesn't even need to speak up loud as concentration and sensory clarity is exceptional. 

1-2 sensations a second is already full on Dharma Rock'n'Roll my friend emoticon keep on riffing emoticon 

Answer
5/25/20 12:16 PM as a reply to Papa Che Dusko.
Papa Che Dusko:

Don't worry about Ingram's 10 or more sensations per second. It's anyway part of the fast Arising and Passing stage. In that stage one doesn't even need to speak up loud as concentration and sensory clarity is exceptional. 

1-2 sensations a second is already full on Dharma Rock'n'Roll my friend emoticon keep on riffing emoticon 

Thanks my friend. Oh, Steph, I added 22 minutes of Metta practice for a loved one and with my own phrases. Although I still struggle with this practice, I felt a bit more pliant.

Answer
5/25/20 1:53 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Hi Sam,

You had asked about this:

"As you gaze into space, very gently and briefly, look for what's looking. Look for the center of conciousness. Is there something to find? Can you find your head? Or is this just this open field in which all visual perceptions are appearing?"

The video addresses this specific thing (perceived spacial locations) and can, if it happens to work for you, demonstrate how perception does not have to have a central point of reference. For me, aside from being fun, it was useful in loosening the way I thought about perception. For some people, that might also give rise to insight about self. 

Most of my practice has been about noticing and concentration, so I can't really comment on contemplative practices like deliberately looking for a thinker. But it still became obvious to me that the thoughts being noticed in my mind are not my thoughts any more than the air being noticed in my breath is my air. It seems to me that you are on a roll with noticing. I would keeping going with that.

Answer
5/26/20 11:25 AM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Sam Gentile:
Papa Che Dusko:

Thanks my friend. Oh, Steph, I added 22 minutes of Metta practice for a loved one and with my own phrases. Although I still struggle with this practice, I felt a bit more pliant.

In today's 60 minute Insight Meditation with At-Loud Notings, I realize that as I am getting better at Noting the amount of Mindfulness is going up and my thoughts are going way down. In fact, while noting, it seems like 99% of thoughts are future planning thoughts about logging the practice for the day! The lawn service today provided a whole lot of sound to "Hear" today which was noted. The only concern was that there was so much of it that I might have missed some "Feel" sensations but that is a minor concern. A good it with not too much boredom.
For the 2nd sit, the Waking Up 20 minute Daily Meditation, wouldn't you know it, after all that sound, that it comes up with a 100% sound meditation!
Third thing, I'm really happy that starting today I am bringing on Abre Fournier as a Vipassana Meditation Teacher. She was a member here so I believe a lot of you might know her. Shout out to Chris Marti for the pointer.

Answer
5/26/20 1:21 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.

The only concern was that there was so much of it that I might have missed some "Feel" sensations but that is a minor concern.

Don't worry about "missing" stuff. Note what you perceive most readily. Subtle stuff will become apparent with time.

I'm working with Abre too! Looking forward to hear how it goes for you.

Answer
5/27/20 11:18 AM as a reply to Brandon Dayton.
Brandon Dayton:

The only concern was that there was so much of it that I might have missed some "Feel" sensations but that is a minor concern.

Don't worry about "missing" stuff. Note what you perceive most readily. Subtle stuff will become apparent with time.

While Brandon, I met with Abre yesterday afternoon and convinced she is the one for me. She didn't waste any time. She put me on the spot. We started a meditation session right away and she had me noting after following her. For some reason, even though I told her I was using the See-Hear-Feel, she wants me to use the Mahasi Sayadaw noting because of the greater range of noting, After that she told me she wants to combine Concentration with Noting in increments in my one hour session. She wants me to build access concentration. I am going to get rid of my other teacher since I can't afford both and she can clearly take me to stages in the path that he can't.

Answer
5/27/20 11:22 AM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Sam Gentile:
Brandon Dayton:

While Brandon, I met with Abre yesterday afternoon and convinced she is the one for me. She didn't waste any time. She put me on the spot. We started a meditation session right away and she had me noting after following her. For some reason, even though I told her I was using the See-Hear-Feel, she wants me to use the Mahasi Sayadaw noting because of the greater range of noting, After that she told me she wants to combine Concentration with Noting in increments in my one hour session. She wants me to build access concentration. I am going to get rid of my other teacher since I can't afford both and she can clearly take me to stages in the path that he can't.

So today, I sat for 60 minutes but I did increments of 15 minutes Concentration and 20 minutes Noting. It was bit ackward doing that and managing the time. I had to note quite a few more thoughts and planning.

Answer
5/28/20 11:19 AM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Sam Gentile:
Sam Gentile:
Brandon Dayton:

So today, I sat for 60 minutes but I did increments of 15 minutes Concentration and 20 minutes Noting. It was bit ackward doing that and managing the time. I had to note quite a few more thoughts and planning.

Lesson to Self: Don't try to meditate without coffee first! Tried to go without and I was unable to meditate, just kept falling  asleep, couldn't think of the noting words, etc so I stopped in the middle of my 60 minute sit and made coffee and then everything was better emoticon I just asked my new teacher Abre this question but I'll put it here as my experience today. I found 80% of what I was noting was "Hearing". She doesn't like me doing that but that's what was coming in the sensory inputs today. There is an AC unit outside and noisy birds. What else do you do with sounds that are virtually constant? I also need to learn more of the Mahasi style words she wants me to use instead of See-Hear-Feel. I need to meet now with my other Tibetan teacher and let him know I am going a different way. Wish me luck!

Answer
5/28/20 12:25 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
What else do you do with sounds that are virtually constant?

The point that Abre is probably hoping you will realize is that the sound from that AC unit isn't really constant. You still get sensory input from other things. Nothing is truly constant, even for a minute.

And... please tell Abre I said "Hello."

Answer
5/28/20 1:01 PM as a reply to Chris Marti.
Chris Marti:

The point that Abre is probably hoping you will realize is that the sound from that AC unit isn't really constant. You still get sensory input from other things. Nothing is truly constant, even for a minute.

That's right. Everything's impermenent. And thank you for the reference to Abre. She's quite a teacher.

Answer
5/29/20 11:49 AM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Sam Gentile:
Chris Marti:

That's right. Everything's impermenent. And thank you for the reference to Abre. She's quite a teacher.
Okay, sat for 60 minutes Insight Meditation with At-Loud Noting. And Chris Marti and Abre remind me nothing is truly constant. I think though, I have an over-reliance on noting sound because I am not so good yet at using more noting with bodily sensensations. Abre, in response to my question, gave me a whole Word file of noting words and states. The problem is I can't relate most of them to what Im feeling in the moment. It may be time for my Noting experts Papa Che and Brandon to drop in again...
I used hearing, tightness, tension, thinking, remembering, planning, bored, pressure, tocuhing, feeling, seeing, worry, tingling, burning, dull, heavy and bored. I can't imagine using more than this but I'll have to practice because its not capturing it all.

Experts: what other common words and states am I mising?

Oh, also I sat for a 2nd meditation - the guided 20 minute Waking Up Daily Meditation just noticed the presence of thoughts which I just returned to the breath. Maybe, after another 20 years of practice, I'll havee a lot less thoughts emoticon

Answer
5/29/20 12:37 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
I think you should stick with what your teacher is suggesting and along the way just notice new mind states. 

It's NOT about thinking yourself into mind states! You only note what IS arising in the now! 

Best way not to "think yourself" into some mind states is to go BACK to body sensation as much as possible and if you notice a mind state pop in cool , note it and move back to body sensations. 

Body sensations are really the safest place if you assume to be "desiering mind states" just so you could note them! 

With practice/time , you will anyway start noticing more mind states. 

Body sensations are No.1 priority in my book. Once I'm familiar with them, then I move to Feelings and Mind States. 

I hope what I wrote makes sense. 

Answer
5/29/20 12:51 PM as a reply to Papa Che Dusko.
Papa Che Dusko:
I think you should stick with what your teacher is suggesting and along the way just notice new mind states. 

It's NOT about thinking yourself into mind states! You only note what IS arising in the now! 

Best way not to "think yourself" into some mind states is to go BACK to body sensation as much as possible and if you notice a mind state pop in cool , note it and move back to body sensations. 

Body sensations are really the safest place if you assume to be "desiering mind states" just so you could note them! 

Body sensations are No.1 priority in my book. Once I'm familiar with them, then I move to Feelings and Mind States. 

Cyystal clear. Thanks.

Answer
5/30/20 11:26 AM as a reply to Papa Che Dusko.
Papa Che Dusko:

I'm not looking or thinking myself into mind states. Its more bodily sensations I am looking for.

In my 60 minute sit just now, I realize that I just revolve around Achy, Tension, Tightness, Throbbing, Itching, Pressure. That's it. Makes for a real boring 60 minutes. Oh and I got so bored that I spent about 10 minutes with In Breath/Out Breath.

Papa Che, got some suggestions for what I could be noting in the body? I also note Seeing, Touching, Hearing,  Roaming, Thinking, Remembering, Planning, Roaming, plus any REAL mind states that come up. I just feel stuck in that I don't know more bodily sensations to note.

Answer
5/30/20 11:51 AM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Yeps emoticon that's it! Boring and repetition! Keep noting same stuff if that what's there. Keep noting that Boredom and note how it feels. 

No more new stuff from me friend emoticon you have a teacher now. I wish you all the best! emoticon 

Che our and out. 

Answer
5/31/20 1:24 PM as a reply to Papa Che Dusko.
Papa Che Dusko:
Yeps emoticon that's it! Boring and repetition! Keep noting same stuff if that what's there. Keep noting that Boredom and note how it feels. 

No more new stuff from me friend emoticon you have a teacher now. I wish you all the best! emoticon 

Che our and out. 
Sat for 60 minute Insight Meditation with At-Loud Noting. Most of it was the boring repition of tension, tightness, pressure, etc. There was one big difference though. I specifically looked for and noted, to the best of my ability, Anicca, whenever things arose and passed away.

An very interesting thing happened for about a 5 minute stretch. Although my eyes were closed, I noticed what looked like a white candle flame pretty tall and flickering. I noted Seeing, Investigating, Looking, Curiousity and it kept going for about 5 minutes. Now, I have never the Candle Kassina meditation although Daniel Ingram wanted me to in our meetings. Kind of scared of it I guess. Interesting....

For the 2nd meditation, I did the Waking Up app's 20 minute Daily Meditation and just watched my breath. it was calming.

EDIT: The Rob Burbea classic, "Seeing that Frees", has a section on what I was trying to do: noting Anicca: "Some practioners find, at times, that repeating inwardly - very quietly and sparsely - a word such as "anicca", "impermanence", or "inconstantcy" during this pratice helps to keep the attention attuned to change moment to momemnt. Rather than labeling each micro-instant of perception as "impermanent", noting like this can function more as a gentle reminder to guide and tune the attenion and intention. It will always be the case, more often than not, the rapidy of change noticed will perclude a discrete and overt labeling of each arising and passing." 
That's what I found today when trying the note the arising and ceasing of things like certain bodily sensations. I will adjust as he suggests.

Answer
6/1/20 12:01 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Sam Gentile:
Papa Che Dusko:

Che our and out. 
Sat for 60 minute Insight Meditation with At-Loud Noting. Most of it was the boring repition of tension, tightness, pressure, etc. There was one big difference though. I specifically looked for and noted, to the best of my ability, Anicca, whenever things arose and passed away.

An very interesting thing happened for about a 5 minute stretch. Although my eyes were closed, I noticed what looked like a white candle flame pretty tall and flickering. I noted Seeing, Investigating, Looking, Curiousity and it kept going for about 5 minutes. Now, I have never the Candle Kassina meditation although Daniel Ingram wanted me to in our meetings. Kind of scared of it I guess. Interesting....

For the 2nd meditation, I did the Waking Up app's 20 minute Daily Meditation and just watched my breath. it was calming.

EDIT: The Rob Burbea classic, "Seeing that Frees", has a section on what I was trying to do: noting Anicca: "Some practioners find, at times, that repeating inwardly - very quietly and sparsely - a word such as "anicca", "impermanence", or "inconstantcy" during this pratice helps to keep the attention attuned to change moment to momemnt. Rather than labeling each micro-instant of perception as "impermanent", noting like this can function more as a gentle reminder to guide and tune the attenion and intention. It will always be the case, more often than not, the rapidy of change noticed will perclude a discrete and overt labeling of each arising and passing." 
That's what I found today when trying the note the arising and ceasing of things like certain bodily sensations. I will adjust as he suggests.
Yay! For only the 2nd time since I've been on DhO, I was able to note the mind states of Relaxed and Calm for almost the whole 60 minute Insight Meditation with At-Loud Noting. I was so taken with feeling so relaxed and calm, that I felt there was less things to note emoticon Even the tension and tightness seemed to lessen. I suppose there were more things to note but in that state I didn't feel them.

Answer
6/2/20 11:48 AM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
Sam Gentile:
Sam Gentile:
Papa Che Dusko:

Che our and out. 

Yay! For only the 2nd time since I've been on DhO, I was able to note the mind states of Relaxed and Calm for almost the whole 60 minute Insight Meditation with At-Loud Noting. I was so taken with feeling so relaxed and calm, that I felt there was less things to note emoticon Even the tension and tightness seemed to lessen. I suppose there were more things to note but in that state I didn't feel them.
I am note sure - is anyone still reading these? i know I am not on the exciting stages of the path but I appreciate feedback. Papa Che won't come around here no more because he thinks I am going to ask more Noting questions and I now have a teacher but come by, I have no Noting questions left emoticon

Today I sat for 60 minutes with At-Loud Noting. The session was fairly ordinary with the usual Trifecta of Tnesion/Tightness/Itching. Noted breath sensations at the chest. Lack of motivation, lack of interest, boredom all noted appropriately. I didn't get relaxed like yesterday and was a bit resless from coffee. Noted pleasent sounds of birds outside windows.

The 2nd session was the 20 minutes Waking Up Daily Meditation in which I turned the instruction "do nothing" into the Mahmudra-like meditation my other Teacher Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche taught me ("Don't meditate but don't get lost").

Answer
6/2/20 12:06 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
I read this. It's interesting to see what other people are doing. You seem to be working diligently and getting a lot out of it.

I noticed earlier that you found the breath boring. I've found it boring too. At the moment, for me, watching the breath can be like a trip to Disneyland. There is so much to see there, so many changes, so many events.

Answer
6/2/20 1:49 PM as a reply to Sam Gentile.
emoticon I still read your log mate. But that's all I do. You've got this! Keep at it!