Y'all think we could enter Jhana and win these competitions?

thumbnail
Bailey , modified 3 Years ago at 5/27/20 4:37 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/27/20 4:35 PM

Y'all think we could enter Jhana and win these competitions?

Just a for fun question emoticon

Do you guys think we could win these competitions via Jhana? Enter Jhana, then start eating them.  I don't think it's it's too far fetched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbG2RuQsAO4

I
 guess a similiar topic would be pain threshold.  Has anyone ever been in tremendous pain and entered jhana to apese it?
Jake Frankfurt Middenhall, modified 3 Years ago at 5/27/20 6:24 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/27/20 6:24 PM

RE: Y'all think we could enter Jhana and win these competitions?

I mean, some of us actually believe in the powers and stuff. You could consider extreme pain resilence to be a minor siddhi, so i would say yes... I dont know how many people here could do it without being in a retreat tho.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 5/27/20 6:43 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/27/20 6:40 PM

RE: Y'all think we could enter Jhana and win these competitions?

It would not help me because I have no desire to enter that type of competition.

When I had a painful shoulder injury I found that meditating elevated my mood which made the pain easier to bear. It wasn't so much that it masked the pain just that it reduced the mental anguish so that I was interested in doing things, then being busy to some extent distracted me from the pain.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN1_38.html
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Rājagaha in the Maddakucchi Deer Reserve. Now at that time his foot had been pierced by a stone sliver. Excruciating were the bodily feelings that developed within him—painful, fierce, sharp, wracking, repellent, disagreeable—but he endured them mindful, alert, & unperturbed. Having had his outer robe folded in four and laid out, he lay down on his right side in the lion’s posture, with one foot placed on top of the other, mindful & alert.

Then 700 devatās from the Satullapa retinue, in the far extreme of the night, their extreme radiance lighting up the entirety of Maddakucchi, went to the Blessed One. On arrival, having bowed down to him, they stood to one side.

As she was standing there, one of the devatās exclaimed in the Blessed One’s presence: “What a nāga is Gotama the contemplative! And like a nāga, when bodily feelings have arisen—painful, fierce, sharp, wracking, repellent, disagreeable—he endures them mindful, alert, & unperturbed!”

Breadcrumb