Who are you?

M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 10:48 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 10:48 AM

Who are you?

"Who am I?" I asked this question to myself I don't know how many times in meditation, and with the guidance of a Zen teacher I attained enlightenment as defined by that tradition. I don't think that is the end of the way. I think that is just the beginning. But for anyone who is interested, look up Kwan-um school of Zen. They used to give teachings by email, which worked great for me. Go on! Meditate!
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 11:54 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 11:54 AM

RE: Who are you?

That might be the first time I have heard of someone attaining awakening in the Zen tradition on this site! Congrats!
M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 12:26 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 12:26 PM

Sleeping Buddha Syndrome:
That might be the first time I have heard of someone attaining awakening in the Zen tradition on this site! Congrats!

Thanks! Zen people are super enigmatic, but that goes against the nature of this site, so I figured I'd let people know that it is possible. 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 12:40 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 12:40 PM

M C:
"Who am I?" I asked this question to myself I don't know how many times in meditation, and with the guidance of a Zen teacher I attained enlightenment as defined by that tradition. I don't think that is the end of the way. I think that is just the beginning. But for anyone who is interested, look up Kwan-um school of Zen. They used to give teachings by email, which worked great for me. Go on! Meditate!

What is the definition of enlightenment in that tradition?

Thanks
M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 12:50 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 12:50 PM

Jim Smith:
M C:

Thanks

Zen people would call it attaining your true nature. I don't know how to put it in words, it is the natural state of all things. The way things just are.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 12:58 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 12:58 PM

M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:

Thanks

Zen people would call it attaining your true nature. I don't know how to put it in words, it is the natural state of all things. The way things just are.
How do you know when you are enlightened? Does a teacher certify you? How do they do it?
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 1:58 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 1:58 PM

Awakening is hard to miss, unless you enter through the dukkha door. 'ya get my drift'
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 4:09 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 2:51 PM

M C:
and with the guidance of a Zen teacher I attained enlightenment as defined by that tradition
Arhat?

I only trained under master Mu in Zen
Fascinating tradition emoticon
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 4:30 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 4:26 PM

Hector:
Why are electrons doomed to remain forever separated from their beloved protons? Answer: http://bit.ly/1LcokZb
It is easy.
To fall on proton electron would need to loose kinetic energy.
It cannot ultimately do this because at very close distance gauge boson that it would need to emit becomes the same gauge boson that draws electron to proton in the first place.

EDIT://
This can be viewed as either it does not happen, this light emmision or that it happens all the time.
Thats is at the very least what master Mu does not say.
M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 10:57 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/28/20 10:57 PM

Jim Smith:
M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:

Thanks

How do you know when you are enlightened? Does a teacher certify you? How do they do it?

It arises during the conversations with the teacher. It is like when you are looking for your glasses but then realize you have been wearing them all along.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 1:21 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 1:11 AM

M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:

Thanks

It arises during the conversations with the teacher. It is like when you are looking for your glasses but then realize you have been wearing them all along.

You wrote:
"Zen people would call it attaining your true nature. I don't know how to put it in words, it is the natural state of all things. The way things just are."
"It is like when you are looking for your glasses but then realize you have been wearing them all along."

Does this simply satisfy your curiosity about the way things are, or has waking up changed your life (for the better)? How? Are you happy all the time? Did it end suffering? Do you feel unconditional compassion and good will toward all beings? Did it make you a nicer person?

Thanks
M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 4:51 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 4:51 AM

Jim Smith:
M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:

Thanks

You wrote:
"Zen people would call it attaining your true nature. I don't know how to put it in words, it is the natural state of all things. The way things just are."
"It is like when you are looking for your glasses but then realize you have been wearing them all along."

Does this simply satisfy your curiosity about the way things are, or has waking up changed your life (for the better)? How? Are you happy all the time? Did it end suffering? Do you feel unconditional compassion and good will toward all beings? Did it make you a nicer person?

Thanks

It opened me up for the endless possibilities in life. I was no longer impeded by the ego.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 5:05 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 5:05 AM

M C:
Jim Smith:

You wrote:

Thanks

It opened me up for the endless possibilities in life. I was no longer impeded by the ego.

Can you give an example that shows how you used to be impeded by the ego and an example of how you are not impeded now?

Thanks
M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 5:31 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 5:31 AM

Jim Smith:
M C:
Jim Smith:

You wrote:

Thanks

Can you give an example that shows how you used to be impeded by the ego and an example of how you are not impeded now?

Thanks

I used to think I was somebody. Now I know I am nobody!
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 7:35 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 7:35 AM

M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:

Thanks

How much did it cost?
M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 8:15 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 8:15 AM

Jim Smith:
M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:

Thanks

How much did it cost?

What do you mean? The teaching is free, if you mean metaphorically, it cost me my false identity!
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 8:32 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 8:32 AM

M C:
What do you mean? The teaching is free, if you mean metaphorically, it cost me my false identity!

What kind of identity did you loose?

I always operated on assumption that enlightenment means you know how to end suffering and can have bliss and ecstasy all the time and maybe even some kind of powers... and sure enough I did not loose any identity. All is fine and dandy with my own identities, I even have more now than before emoticon
M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 9:57 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 9:57 AM

Ni Nurta:
M C:

What kind of identity did you loose?

I always operated on assumption that enlightenment means you know how to end suffering and can have bliss and ecstasy all the time and maybe even some kind of powers... and sure enough I did not loose any identity. All is fine and dandy with my own identities, I even have more now than before emoticon

I think enlightenment means different things to different people. Let's see, I am not a man, I am not a scientist, I am not a son, I am not me!
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 2:55 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 2:55 PM

M C:
I think enlightenment means different things to different people. Let's see, I am not a man, I am not a scientist, I am not a son, I am not me!
Isn't enlightenment supposed to be about finding solution to suffering or something?
Who even cares about who you are?
M C, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 3:26 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 3:26 PM

Ni Nurta:
M C:
Isn't enlightenment supposed to be about finding solution to suffering or something?
Who even cares about who you are?

Interesting question. Think of it like a diffrent approach, maybe?

The more ways to reduce suffering the better. 
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 8:04 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 8:04 PM

M C:
Interesting question. Think of it like a diffrent approach, maybe?

The more ways to reduce suffering the better. 

Change in identification that you describe can save you from certain types of suffering, true.
Do you have any free thoughts to share about what you could possibly be if you are not you?

If you are paralyzed by the thought to start identifying with anything then it is fine to not say anything.
Just know that while not trivial and certainly not free from potential issues which need to be resolved it is totally worth it to go deeper in to own soul and its inner workings. You can just find you are not alone in it.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 11:01 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/29/20 11:01 PM

M C:
Jim Smith:
M C:
Jim Smith:

You wrote:

Thanks

Thanks

I am sonewhat sympathetic when people say "words can't express it". But I am trying to give you a chance to convice me that your practice is something I might want to try, and you seem to be doing everything you can to convince me that I shouldn't bother.

I wonder why you posted here in the first place. At first I thought you felt the practice was beneficial and you wanted to share it with others. Maybe that is correct, but your posts create the impression that you posted here to brag about your attainment and show off your dharma combat skills. Can you see how you create that impression? And it doesn't reflect well on the Kwan-um school of Zen.

I'd still like to know why it is that you think your practice is helpful or beneficial. 

Thanks.