Awake In Podcast - Episode 4

Bill T, modified 3 Years ago at 6/6/20 1:18 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/6/20 1:16 PM

Awake In Podcast - Episode 4

Link: https://awake-in.com/2020/05/15/episode-4/

Just me and Jasmine on this one - a fun chat that started with a regular call. We were meant to be talking about updating our website, but after “How are you doing? How’s your practice?” we got into an interesting discussion so began recording! We hope that you too, dear listener, will enjoy this.

Topics
  • 0:00 Intro and Mahasi Sayadaw style ‘noting’ practice
  • 3:00 On high-speed ‘noting’ meditation
  • 5:30 Do all types of meditation lead to the same place? Comparisons with yoga and other, Buddhist types of meditation.
  • 7:00 Altered Traits book – studies of long-term, advanced meditators. Similarities and differences between veterans of different meditation traditions.
  • 9:00 Zen Masters in the early 20th Century – part of the II World war effort.
  • 12:00 Bill Hamilton – Saints & Psychopaths book. Can meditation touch or change extreme psychological conditions?
  • 14:00 Daniel Ingram & Kenneth Folk on the limits of ‘awakening’ – Can it save you from being a ‘total arsehole’?
  • 15:00 Can metta ‘loving kindness’ meditation make you a better person?Jasmine on her current practice and how empathy practices have shaped her personality.
  • 17:00 Emotional intelligence at work and on the career ladder. Chade-Meng Tang‘s Search Inside Yourself book on habit building
  • 18:40 Enlightenment doesn’t solve all your problems. While panna (wisdom) has an achievable goal, the trainings of sila (morality, virtue) and samadhi (concentration, ‘coming together’) are infinite.
  • 20:00 Bill & Jasmine‘s current focus in meditation
  • 21:00 Friends of the Western Buddhist Order (now the Triratna Buddhist Community) and ‘Pure Land’ Buddhist approaches to enlightenment.
  • 22:00 Jasmine‘s family’s take on enlightenment
  • 24:00 Bahia of the bark cloth!
    Buddha’s best ever student who reached full enlightenment in about 5
    minutes after being given the instruction. Bill [I missed ‘smell’ from
    the list of sense emoticon ]
  • 27:00 Going meta on the podcast itself –
    thoughts on colours, the meditation podcast market, and the feedback
    we’ve received so far. Thanks for that, by the way! emoticon
References

BooksOther
----

Let us know what you think!
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/6/20 1:52 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/6/20 1:52 PM

RE: Awake In Podcast - Episode 4

Bill T:
Link: https://awake-in.com/2020/05/15/episode-4/

Just me and Jasmine on this one - a fun chat that started with a regular call. We were meant to be talking about updating our website, but after “How are you doing? How’s your practice?” we got into an interesting discussion so began recording! We hope that you too, dear listener, will enjoy this.

Topics
  • 0:00 Intro and Mahasi Sayadaw style ‘noting’ practice
  • 3:00 On high-speed ‘noting’ meditation
  • 5:30 Do all types of meditation lead to the same place? Comparisons with yoga and other, Buddhist types of meditation.
  • 7:00 Altered Traits book – studies of long-term, advanced meditators. Similarities and differences between veterans of different meditation traditions.
  • 9:00 Zen Masters in the early 20th Century – part of the II World war effort.
  • 12:00 Bill Hamilton – Saints & Psychopaths book. Can meditation touch or change extreme psychological conditions?
  • 14:00 Daniel Ingram & Kenneth Folk on the limits of ‘awakening’ – Can it save you from being a ‘total arsehole’?
  • 15:00 Can metta ‘loving kindness’ meditation make you a better person?Jasmine on her current practice and how empathy practices have shaped her personality.
  • 17:00 Emotional intelligence at work and on the career ladder. Chade-Meng Tang‘s Search Inside Yourself book on habit building
  • 18:40 Enlightenment doesn’t solve all your problems. While panna (wisdom) has an achievable goal, the trainings of sila (morality, virtue) and samadhi (concentration, ‘coming together’) are infinite.
  • 20:00 Bill & Jasmine‘s current focus in meditation
  • 21:00 Friends of the Western Buddhist Order (now the Triratna Buddhist Community) and ‘Pure Land’ Buddhist approaches to enlightenment.
  • 22:00 Jasmine‘s family’s take on enlightenment
  • 24:00 Bahia of the bark cloth!
    Buddha’s best ever student who reached full enlightenment in about 5
    minutes after being given the instruction. Bill [I missed ‘smell’ from
    the list of sense emoticon ]
  • 27:00 Going meta on the podcast itself –
    thoughts on colours, the meditation podcast market, and the feedback
    we’ve received so far. Thanks for that, by the way! emoticon
References

BooksOther
----

Let us know what you think!

Didn't this one actually publish on May 15th? I'm enjoying these so I am already looking for the next one. They're much better than having to listen to the big name meditation podcasts
thumbnail
Ben V, modified 3 Years ago at 6/6/20 7:38 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/6/20 7:37 PM

Interesting discussion with interesting topics!

Concerning Bill Hamilton on psychopaths and awakening, if my memory serves me well, Kenneth Folk told me a year ago that B. Hamilton believed that psychopaths could not attain awakening, but that now he (Kenneth) thinks psychopaths can attain it and still have psychopathy (apologies if my memory is not serving me well on this).

If that's the case, all the more important the practice of sila and metta on the path!
Bill T, modified 3 Years ago at 6/8/20 7:34 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/8/20 7:34 AM

Hi Sam - yes, sorry! Bit of a delay getting round to posting it here emoticon
Bill T, modified 3 Years ago at 6/8/20 7:36 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/8/20 7:36 AM

Cheers Ben! I'm with Kenneth on that one. Especially considering the Zen Masters who were big supporters of the fascist state / conquering and subjugating Asia in recent Japanese history ...  O_O

Breadcrumb