new radical buddhist site

adamas john zerbu, modified 12 Years ago at 8/8/11 1:07 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 8/8/11 1:00 PM

new radical buddhist site

Check out my new radical dzogchen Buddhist site. http://www.buddhabrats.com/3-free-chapters/the-left-hand-path/ one of the free chapters
Not a lot on meditation since the core of dzogchen is remaining present to everything at all times and seeing the perfection in everything that exists. There is a lot on realization and accomplishments, as well as a lot on the six realms especially in the book on the site. Since the goal of Buddhism is liberation from suffering there is a lot that will be of interest to the dharma overground especially with your pragmatic attitude towards practice.

Enjoy check out the four free chapters on the site to get an idea of where i am coming from.

Sarva Mangalam

Adamas
thumbnail
Florian, modified 12 Years ago at 9/13/11 11:07 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/13/11 11:07 AM

RE: new radical buddhist site

I bought the e-book and read it last month. Here's a short review:

It's quite entertaining, in a Jed McKenna-on-lots-of-drugs manner. It's also full of good stuff and unusually creative ideas for practice. For example, the author describes his use of homeopathic remedies. Now homeopathic remedies are in the top ten list of Crackpot Ideas That Really Annoy Me. But that guy mixed himself a homeopathic dose of anti-matter. And then he swallowed it. And experienced Emptiness. That's an awesome way to go about it. That's crackpottery elevated to a method of enlightenment. That's crazy wisdom miles above the cheesy quotes.

There's more: trafficking illegal substances as a spiritual discipline, in far eastern countries where they lock you up for life if you get caught. And so on and so forth. Also, he and his friends apparently took the word "crazy" in "crazy wisdom" to really mean crazy, as in psychotic episode crazy. So it's also amazing to read how he made it more or less in one piece.

The message to take away is that there are so many ways to practice well, not just sitting in meditation. Paying close attention to whatever presents itself at the moment - such as the sensation of melted contraband in your boots at airport customs -, making big stupid gestures to state intent, subverting habitual patterns for the purpose of developing insight - that kind of thing. In the West, we'd call it Magick (of the kind Crowley and R.A. Wilson and that crowd was about).

It's a high-stakes way of going about it, of course. You don't have to do the full program of sex, drugs, and homeopathy. If it inspires you to try something new that benefits your practice, or gets you out of a rut - so much the better.

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 9/13/11 3:47 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/13/11 3:47 PM

Thanks for posting this, Florian, I hadn't bothered to check out the site yet but it now sounds worth a read!

I love this idea of freestyle practice, it's been the way I've gone about it and I can vouch for it's effectiveness although I don't know about being a drug mule.....well, not yet anyway. emoticon
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 12 Years ago at 9/13/11 10:56 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/13/11 10:51 PM

Excerpted from the article at the link posted above:

As I have mentioned before there is a practice in Tantra which involves visualising an archetype and then transforming oneself INTO that archetype, in order to embody it. In Vajrayana (The Diamond Way) it is called Yidam Yoga, which literally means ‘union with the deity’. It is a practice that according to traditional Buddhism needs many initiations and relies completely on the guidance of a qualified teacher, lest the student should get it wrong due to subtle dualistic tendencies. The point is that from a Non-dual space these archetypes have always been nothing other than Aspects of Self, and should be viewed as such. It is useful and enjoyable though, to find archetypes that represent certain aspects of oneself that one has not integrated yet and then playing them out for better understanding of oneself.

Nice one. In a sense there's a lot of doing this along the way, but not sure how far/often it extends out to the maximum (useful) "archetype" of that specific "self." It seems like something actors might tap into while playing a theatrical role. Anyone played around with archetypal selves (not necessarily just yidam)? What happened, what'd ya learn?
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 7:18 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 7:18 AM

In a sense there's a lot of doing this along the way, but not sure how far/often it extends out to the maximum (useful) "archetype" of that specific "self." It seems like something actors might tap into while playing a theatrical role. Anyone played around with archetypal selves (not necessarily just yidam)? What happened, what'd ya learn?

It seems that the Mahasi style mainly practiced around here doesn't explore this part of experience, but the Vajrayana approach uses it a lot. I used the practice of "assuming godforms", another way of saying archetypes, while doing magick and have also had some fun using modern day archetypes sourced from the media, literature, music and the like. Where the magickal approach appears to differ is that it doesn't explicitly refer to seeing the 3C's, although it's hinted at but I don't recall seeing it specifically mentioned.

In my experience, the mechanism employed when working with archetypes is the same as that used when acting, or assuming a character for whatever purpose. In fact, I had a conversation with a friend last night and he mentioned assuming the character of Michael Corleone when he wanted to feel more assertive or untouchable, so I pointed out that this is pretty much the same as assuming the godform of Mars if you wanted to be more assertive or aggressive, the big difference being one of context.

I'm away to download this dudes book now, I spent a few hours on the site last night and it's got some really incredible stuff on it. Highly recommended if you want a view from the wildside of modern dharma practice.
thumbnail
Florian, modified 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 10:08 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 10:08 AM

Tommy M:
Where the magickal approach appears to differ is that it doesn't explicitly refer to seeing the 3C's, although it's hinted at but I don't recall seeing it specifically mentioned.

Plainly mentioned and recommended as practice instructions in Liber B, vv. 15 and 16:

[indent]15. Now the grade of a Magister teacheth the Mystery of Sorrow, and the grade of a Magus the Mystery of Change, and the grade of Ipsissimus the Mystery of Selflessness, which is called also the Mystery of Pan.

16. Let the Magus then contemplate each in turn, raising it to the ultimate power of Infinity. Wherein Sorrow is Joy, and Change is Stability, and Selflessness is Self. For the interplay of the parts hath no action upon the whole. And this contemplation shall be performed not by simple meditation—how much less then by reason! but by the method which shall have been given unto Him in His initiation to the Grade.[/indent]

(And the four noble truths are there, too, thinly disguised in vv 7-11). It's not as surprising as it seems, though, since one of Crowley's closest friends was the first western Buddhist monk (or one of the first, at least).

But yeah, the 3C have nowhere near the emphasis in Magick that they have in Buddhism.

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 11:36 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 11:36 AM

Tommy M:

In my experience, the mechanism employed when working with archetypes is the same as that used when acting, or assuming a character for whatever purpose. In fact, I had a conversation with a friend last night and he mentioned assuming the character of Michael Corleone when he wanted to feel more assertive or untouchable, so I pointed out that this is pretty much the same as assuming the godform of Mars if you wanted to be more assertive or aggressive, the big difference being one of context.

Perhaps this is the whole point of it, but does the archetype have to be some other "character" or deity or other person? Taking into consideration there really is no separation between self and other, I suppose this breaks down that line in seeing that all "other" characters one could choose are not really "other". If one could take on a character and be it, it is not other anymore, right?

So then, how about modifying this a bit and creating an archetype completely out of some of one's own known existing traits, tendencies, etc. Where I'm going with this is... extending the archetype of happy, benevolent, sincere Stephany until it's not even an archetype anymore, but more genuinely how I am (as another tool towards AF). Would that even work? Possible pitfalls I see are... from the article it seems one utilizes the archetype until it has reached its potential or been thoroughly examined, and so the archetype drops away and another one is adopted. Then would continue archetype to archetype. How it could work is, the archetype becomes so natural and is seen to be so beneficial that it just continues on. Thinking out loud as I type here, but maybe this is what I'm already doing anyways with this actualist stuff. Maxing certain parts of my personality that are already there which relate to happiness and the like. Is that even an archetype?

Thoughts?
adamas john zerbu, modified 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 12:52 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 12:52 PM

Glad you enjoyed the site. I like your wild side comment, wait till you read the book, I think it is just up your street

Adamas
thumbnail
Lorey L Hobbs, modified 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 1:38 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 1:38 PM

I think of archetypes as being certain historical conglomerations of energies that remain in the field that one can tap into via concentration on those qualities. Hence, the representation of these conglomerations as Gods such as Shiva, Kali, mandalas, etc. depending upon the tradition. I have had archetypes show up in symbolic dreams, but did not intend them.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 3:02 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 3:02 PM

Plainly mentioned and recommended as practice instructions in Liber B, vv. 15 and 16:

15. Now the grade of a Magister teacheth the Mystery of Sorrow, and the grade of a Magus the Mystery of Change, and the grade of Ipsissimus the Mystery of Selflessness, which is called also the Mystery of Pan.

16. Let the Magus then contemplate each in turn, raising it to the ultimate power of Infinity. Wherein Sorrow is Joy, and Change is Stability, and Selflessness is Self. For the interplay of the parts hath no action upon the whole. And this contemplation shall be performed not by simple meditation—how much less then by reason! but by the method which shall have been given unto Him in His initiation to the Grade.

Bugger. I forgot about that one. Funnily enough I had mentioned that very quote a few weeks ago but never even thought of it when I wrote that post! I had been thinking about that quote in the context of post-4th path (MCTB model) practices, the resolution of all opposites and Crowleys mention of nirodha samapatti as the entrance to Ipsissimus. Sod trying to line up the models though! emoticon
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 3:24 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/14/11 3:24 PM

Perhaps this is the whole point of it, but does the archetype have to be some other "character" or deity or other person? Taking into consideration there really is no separation between self and other, I suppose this breaks down that line in seeing that all "other" characters one could choose are not really "other". If one could take on a character and be it, it is not other anymore, right?

It makes the process easier if you have a figure which represents the qualities you wish to personify, but what you're saying makes sense and seems to be exactly what happens in vajrayana practice i.e one continually assumes archetypes until it's clear that there is nothing behind any of the masks. I might be miles from the mark there but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that what you're suggesting may be useful, it's like becoming pure intent, or becoming felicitous or whatever with a twist. I wouldn't call it an archetype though, simply because we're not using the word in the sense it's intended, and I also think it would require some skill to pull off properly. I don't know, that would be the honest answer. emoticon
adamas john zerbu, modified 12 Years ago at 9/15/11 3:27 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/15/11 3:27 AM

Since all is self and self is empty, the archetypes just represent aspects of ones nature, there to be embodied to bring about certain outcomes or play out different aspects of the self. Of course certain aspects are more in line with ones true nature than others, but these are the ones one gravitates to anyway. By realizing ones thousand faces one breaks down the illusion of self, as something that is in a perpetual state of arising and dissolution, When people stop praying to Chenrezig and realize they are Chenrezig one proceeds down the path a lot faster. Once the self and other has broken down ones capacity for suffering definitely diminishes.

Adamas
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 12 Years ago at 9/15/11 1:24 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/15/11 1:21 PM

adamas john zerbu:
By realizing ones thousand faces one breaks down the illusion of self, as something that is in a perpetual state of arising and dissolution, When people stop praying to Chenrezig and realize they are Chenrezig one proceeds down the path a lot faster. Once the self and other has broken down ones capacity for suffering definitely diminishes.

Adamas

Cool, yeah, that's what I was getting at. Desire for/clinging to "other" diminishes when one realizes there is no "other" to cling to. This isn't a direct realization I've nailed yet, but guessing there is no "other" that one doesn't have access to - as in, how can one reach out for what one already has?
thumbnail
Jake , modified 12 Years ago at 9/16/11 7:45 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/16/11 7:45 AM

Tommy M:

seems to be exactly what happens in vajrayana practice i.e one continually assumes archetypes until it's clear that there is nothing behind any of the masks.

Yeah, I'd say that's a good summery of my experiences with these techniques. I'd also add that what sometimes happens is in going back and forth between the deity-identity and jake-identity also helps leverage the insight that "jake" is a mask as well. Things get funny. First it feels like "jake" pretending to be the deity, then it can feel like the deity pretending to be a jake, and so on as the whole mechanism loosens up. The looser the identity-mechanism the more one's relationship to the identifications shifts. It starts to seem possible that instead of holding an illusory "me" together, some of these processes (which formerly exclusively reinforced the false coherence of "me") could be recruited to the task of being useful/helpful/meaningfully engaged in the world. This really intrigues me.

--Jake
adamas john zerbu, modified 12 Years ago at 9/19/11 10:05 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/19/11 10:05 AM

Not so much what one already has but acknowledging the totality of ones identity and its myriad forms, quite literally any creature or deity from any pantheon, why limit ourselves to the Buddhist and Hindu archetypes, I love the Norse and the Greek as well, and they contain archetypes like the Fates,the Norns, or the fire and ice giants that do not really exist in Buddhist or Hindu mythology and add a level of elemental savagery one doesn't see in other mythology. I believe that a lot of the mythologies mixed together contain the seeds of the different archetypes that together make up the splendor we are capable of embodying and indeed need to embody to bring out our full potential.

From the depths of the atomic fires is birthed the diamond age.

Adamas
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 9/19/11 3:29 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/19/11 3:29 PM

Not so much what one already has but acknowledging the totality of ones identity and its myriad forms, quite literally any creature or deity from any pantheon...

This can also be extended beyond any one belief system, the same process can be done with figures in the media, in literature, music (I used to invoke Mike Patton before I recorded noise/experimental vocal stuff. Here's an example. Ha!) or anything that one can get emotionally invested in. What I think is really important when using this approach is to know as much as you possibly can about the person/god/archetype/whatever in the same way an actor learns the backstory, behaviours, mannerisms and idiosyncrasies of their character.
thumbnail
Brian Eleven, modified 12 Years ago at 9/19/11 4:49 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/19/11 4:49 PM

"I used to invoke Mike Patton before I recorded noise/experimental vocal stuff. Here's an example. Ha!"

Love the Music! I've never understood why I'm so drawn to noise music,(neither is the girlfriend, lol) but thanks for the link. I'm beginning to get the feeling your a true renaissance man! emoticon
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 9/19/11 5:03 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/19/11 5:03 PM

Cheers, Brian! Aye, I'm a massive noise fan and used to run the Smell the Stench online label for a while. My girlfriend also loathes noise, especially when I'm blaring Merzbow while I'm cooking....emoticon

Y'know what's really good fun? Watch how the mind tries to interpret conventional patterns and find 'normal' musical phrases, it goes utterly mental after a while and exhausts itself leaving hearing free to do what it does.
adamas john zerbu, modified 12 Years ago at 9/21/11 6:52 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/21/11 6:52 AM

I couldn't agree more, knowledge is empowerment the more we know the character the deeper our integration is., I thought I would just post another short comment I got from a reader of buddha brats a modern tale of enlightenment "Just finished your e-book today. I don\'t usually comment on books that I read (and I am a voracious reader), but wanted to let you know that there were times that I actually felt considerably lighter, if not somewhat high, while I was reading it. Did you dose the PDF??? Thank you for this gem!

Breadcrumb