Reversed Siddhartha - a repository of dharma e-books and more..

ahtrahddis, modified 3 Years ago at 10/2/20 3:39 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 6:00 AM

Reversed Siddhartha - a repository of dharma e-books and more..

Hi all,

further to pepe's advice to open a new thread and present the latest e-book I have compiled, I decided to start this thread, but as I have created a lot of e-books and my plans are to continue to do so, I decided to make it more generic so that I will be able to post about future releases without opening new threads.

So here we go..

Back in late 2018, and being a new practitioner, I had started practicing Mahasi noting, and as an intellectual geek that I have been for more than 3 decades, I thought that I needed to collect as much information as possible about the practice of my preference. This obsession (that later became a serious hindrance, but that's a different story...) of mine led to the creation of this website:

https://mahasivipassana.com (MVMR)

If one spends 2 minutes on MVMR they 'll notice that for all Mahasi's texts, e-books in 3 different formats (epub/azw3/mobi) are provided.

After finishing (actually is a never ending procedure) with the majority of these texts, e-book creation had already been astablished as a hobby of mine. I very much like the idea of free access on dharma material and in addition I believe that by archiving (especially officially unreleased) texts helps in the preservation of such knowledge.

For the above reasons, I continued creating e-books and uploading them on my github page .

Yesterday, I created this "quick 'n dirty" webpage (hosted on github) so that anyone interested in will be able to navigate easily to the content I have created:

https://ahtrahddis.github.io

On this page you will find a book section dedicated to pragmatic dharma:

https://ahtrahddis.github.io/#pragmatic-dharma

Among others, there you will find a collection of texts by Ron Crouch, another collection of texts from the old website of Kenneth Folk, an e-book version of Pepe's website about Shargrol etc..

Before I finish this post, I would like to give some further information to fellow geeks. For the creation of all these e-books the following procedure is followed:

- the text is pasted & formatted with / written in / converted to markdown (the conversion is done using various methods)
- it is then converted to epub using pandoc
- the next step is e-pub editing with calibre and finally...
- the epub is converted to mobi and azw3 (in azw3 additional soft hyphenation is added using hyphenate this!)

For some of these texts, you will also find PDF files. Some of these files are just convertions using calibre, which I don't like because I have no control in formattting, and some of them (example 1, example 2) are created by converting the epub to odt or docx, applying additional formatting and then exporting to PDF. I will try to do the latter for all texts and come up with ready-to-print files, but it takes a lot of additional time.

Any of you that may find typos etc or want to suggest different text formating or whatever, feel free to open issues on github repos or fork the repos and then push your changes back or send me an email!

BTW, MVMR is also entirely written in markdown and converted to a static html website using hugo. The website sources can be found here.

I really hope that all of you members of the pragmatic community, find these texts useful!

Regards,

Mike (this is my real name - Vladimir was part of my old nickname)
Derek2, modified 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 7:47 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 7:46 AM

RE: A collection of (unofficial) pragmatic e-books

You're welcome to add my epub to your collection: https://archive.org/details/slackers-guide-to-stream-entry

Also, the author of Silicon Valley Monk used to be a member here.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 9:13 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 9:13 AM

... the author of Silicon Valley Monk used to be a member here.

He still is and posts periodically - his handle is "SVMonk."
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 12:34 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 12:34 PM

atrahhdis:
Hi all,

further to pepe's advice to open a new thread and present the latest e-book I have compiled, I decided to start this thread, but as I have created a lot of e-books and my plans are to continue to do so, I decided to make it more generic so that I will be able to post about future releases without opening new threads.

So here we go..

Back in late 2018, and being a new practitioner, I had started practicing Mahasi noting, and as an intellectual geek that I have been for more than 3 decades, I thought that I needed to collect as much information as possible about the practice of my preference. This obsession (that later became a serious hindrance, but that's a different story...) of mine led to the creation of this website:

https://mahasivipassana.com (MVMR)

If one spends 2 minutes on MVMR they 'll notice that for all Mahasi's texts, e-books in 3 different formats (epub/azw3/mobi) are provided.

After finishing (actually is a never ending procedure) with the majority of these texts, e-book creation had already been astablished as a hobby of mine. I very much like the idea of free access on dharma material and in addition I believe that by archiving (especially officially unreleased) texts helps in the preservation of such knowledge.

For the above reasons, I continued creating e-books and uploading them on my github page .

Yesterday, I created this "quick 'n dirty" webpage (hosted on github) so that anyone interested in will be able to navigate easily to the content I have created:

https://atrahhdis.github.io

On this page you will find a section dedicated to pragmatic dharma:

https://atrahhdis.github.io/#pd

Among others, there you will find a collection of texts by Ron Crouch, another collection of texts from the old website of Kenneth Folk, an e-book version of Pepe's website about Shargrol etc..

Before I finish this post, I would like to give some further information to fellow geeks. For the creation of all these e-books the following procedure is followed:

- the text is pasted & formatted with / written in / converted to markdown (the conversion is done using various methods)
- it is then converted to epub using pandoc
- the next step is e-pub editing with calibre and finally...
- the epub is converted to mobi and azw3 (in azw3 additional soft hyphenation is added using hyphenate this!)

For some of these texts, you will also find PDF files. Some of these files are just convertions using calibre, which I don't like because I have no control in formattting, and some of them (example 1, example 2) are created by converting the epub to odt or docx, applying additional formatting and then exporting to PDF. I will try to do the latter for all texts and come up with ready-to-print files, but it takes a lot of additional time.

Any of you that may find typos etc or want to suggest different text formating or whatever, feel free to open issues on github repos or fork the repos and then push your changes back or send me an email!

BTW, MVMR is also entirely written in markdown and converted to a static html website using hugo. The website sources can be found here.

I really hope that all of you members of the pragmatic community, find these texts useful!

Regards,
Mike (this is my real name - Vladimir was part of my old nickname)
This is an awesome resource! Thanks!
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 1:38 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 1:38 PM

Hi Mike!

Tons of stuff to explore... amazing website. I'll start investigating the reddit study group compilation you've made. Thank you! 

There's a 5700 pages PDF of all Rob Burbea's transcript talks at this link so perhaps you may be interested to add it to MVMR.

There's also some summaries I made of Daniel Ingram's framework: The Seven Factors of Awakening (plus The Three Characteristics) that I found really helpful. 
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 12:11 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 12:11 PM

Pepe:
Hi Mike!

Tons of stuff to explore... amazing website. I'll start investigating the reddit study group compilation you've made. Thank you! 

There's a 5700 pages PDF of all Rob Burbea's transcript talks at this link so perhaps you may be interested to add it to MVMR.

There's also some summaries I made of Daniel Ingram's framework: The Seven Factors of Awakening (plus The Three Characteristics) that I found really helpful. 

One of your ebooks, Aloha Dharma, finally had a section on what Pragmatic Dharma is thaI I have been looking for. I’m new to the scene and fascinated with Pragmatic Dharma and its history. Are there any other resources that have like information?
ahtrahddis, modified 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 1:47 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 1:45 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Sam Gentile:

One of your ebooks, Aloha Dharma, finally had a section on what Pragmatic Dharma is thaI I have been looking for. I’m new to the scene and fascinated with Pragmatic Dharma and its history. Are there any other resources that have like information?

Sam, this is a very popular text by Ron Crouch, posted as an article on his website (BTW alohadharma.com is down - I hope that it's a temporary issue) years ago.

I am also interested in such texts. Another interesting desctription of PD I have found is this one by Vince Horn.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 1:52 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 1:52 PM

atrahhdis:

Sam Gentile:

Sam, this is a very popular text by Ron Crouch, posted as an article on his website (BTW alohadharma.com is down - I hope that it's a temporary issue) years ago.

I am also interested in such texts. Another interesting desctription of PD I have found is this one by Vince Horn.
Thanks!
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/16/20 11:37 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/16/20 11:37 AM

Sam Gentile:
atrahhdis:

Sam Gentile:

Thanks!

I'm looking at Kenneth Folk's The Three Speed Transmission today amd it looks pretty useful
ahtrahddis, modified 3 Years ago at 6/17/20 3:51 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/17/20 3:49 AM

Sam Gentile:

I'm looking at Kenneth Folk's The Three Speed Transmission today amd it looks pretty useful

I agree! Especially all the information about "concentration", I found them really useful. I haven't finished it  yet, btw, I am in the last section (3rd gear) yet.

Another text that had a huge impact on my practice is the collection of Shargrol's posts by Pepe. I highly suggest you to read it (slowly and multiple times).
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 1:31 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 1:31 PM

Thanks for gathering.  Some other places with potential resources to add are:
https://www.dharmaoverground.org/dharma-wiki
http://noahsmonthlyupdate.blogspot.com/2017/12/links.html
ahtrahddis, modified 3 Years ago at 10/1/20 1:58 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/1/20 1:58 AM

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that I've done a lot of changes on the website.

It now uses a new and ultra fast hugo theme, it has a name (Reversed Siddhartha) and a new domain (I have tried to edit all my posts and replace it):

Reversed Siddhartha (ЯƧ) - a repository of dharma e-books and more

Greetings,

Mike
ahtrahddis, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:46 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:45 AM

RE: Reversed Siddhartha - a repository of dharma e-books and more..

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that finally, Reversed Siddhartha has now a github independent url:

https://ahtrahddis.eu
Sam Gentile, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 10:53 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 10:53 AM

RE: Reversed Siddhartha - a repository of dharma e-books and more..

Unreleated but ahtrahddis did you get my total apology on my web log? I treated you badly and i am competly sorry.

2nd, as you can see from this thread, I found from this thread here, this work very valuable and still do. Thnak!

​​​​​​​Sam

Breadcrumb