Fire Kasina

Kenneth D Schlueter, modified 3 Years ago at 6/14/20 4:15 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/14/20 4:15 PM

Fire Kasina

Hello everyone! First time posting. I just recently came across the work that Shannon and Deniel have done on making working with the fire kasina more practical and easier to understand. My question is about working with what I would call some auxilary effects. After working with the fire kasina I began to have some interesting visual experiences. These sights include:
-Seeing the walls bubble and warp
-Vibrating colors expanding and contracting around objects that I look at
-White fuzziness appearing on top of objects
-Black spots that scurry around like a bug
-Increased awareness of floaters

So my question do any/all of these make useful objects for observation or are they just distractions? If they can be used skillfully what have people found to be productive means in their experience? 

Thanks everyone!

Kentastic
thumbnail
Lewis James, modified 3 Years ago at 6/14/20 4:57 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/14/20 4:57 PM

RE: Fire Kasina

I'm not sure this is specific to Fire Kasina, and more to deconstructive vipassana practice in general. It's a common effect reported by a lot of yogis. My feeling is this is to do with more raw, unfiltered sense data, or that you're noticing the natural impermanence of sensations most vividly in your seeing experience.

Is it a useful object? Yes and no. I don't know how far you are into FK practice, but the murk is essentially purely what you've described, just the visual system's impermanence displaying itself. It can also be a general signifier that your noticing of the 3Cs is happening. I have not found much success using these visual distortions as meditation objects, but your mileage may vary.
Kenneth D Schlueter, modified 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 10:09 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/15/20 10:09 AM

RE: Fire Kasina

Lewis James:
I don't know how far you are into FK practice, but the murk is essentially purely what you've described, just the visual system's impermanence displaying itself.

I guess I am not sure where I am either and that is what I was trying to figure out. In Deniel's system, what screen I am on and all that. Good to know others think it's the murk.
It can also be a general signifier that your noticing of the 3Cs is happening.

I am not sure what the 3Cs are. Could you explain it to me?