Dreaming about concentration

a my les, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 11:18 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 11:18 AM

Dreaming about concentration

Hi, this might be off topic, but I didn't particularly see a dream sub-forum, so please let me know if this is better suited for another topic or my log.

I had a dream last night in which I sort-of received instruction on concentration. I don't typically dream about meditation, and my ability to recall dreams is sporadic, so this was novel. I was in a college-level course with some of my peers from real life (who don't meditate, so it was peculiar that I'd be discussing this with them). At some point in the lecture, the topic of concentration came up. The instructor, who I can only recall in terms of vague physical characteristics, said she had attained deep levels of concentration.

I inquired 1:1 with her about the specifics, which is not something I typically have the guts for in a classroom setting: she used a kasina, she did so off-retreat, and she consistently used a mantra. These details are rather banal, especially since they are just bullet points from the Fire Kasina, which I've been reading lately.

However, the juicy part is that she tried to tell me the mantra she was using, but the transmission was vague. I asked her to repeat it but could not quite get it, some P's, some E's, some S-sounds, etc. -- my recall is muddy and/or the transmission was vague within the dream.

I'm generally curious but undeveloped in areas like lucid dreaming/dream yoga, and my concentration is also a bit spotty, so, this is perhaps just the mind processing the day's thoughts, but I'm curious and motivated enough to imagine myself trying to go back and hear that mantra, or try and sit with that being, etc. Not really sure if I'm asking for something specific, but if there's any relevant experience or information to point towards, that'd be appreciated =D
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 1:06 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 1:03 PM

RE: Dreaming about concentration

My interpretation of your dream:

You think there is a secret involved in developing concentration. You don't believe, or are afraid, that you will never quite get it, even though you're reading about it in real life and even though the teacher is literally telling it to you in your dream. So it remains out of reach - and may ever be so because... it's a god damned secret.

The truth of this is quite different. You just need to practice. It's like learning anything - practice is what provides you with the skills you want.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 1:21 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 1:21 PM

Most things people claim are insight around here are just advanced concentration. Help yourself. Dreams are not insight nor are they concentration
a my les, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 2:01 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 2:00 PM

Damn, that's pretty good, thanks Chris.

@SBS: your comments usually have me laughing pretty hard but this is the most useful one I've seen so far, thanks!
Martin, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 2:02 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 2:02 PM

Sleeping Buddha Syndrome:
Most things people claim are insight around here are just advanced concentration. Help yourself. Dreams are not insight nor are they concentration

That's an interesting comment. Can you expand, or give and example of something claimed to be insight when it is actually concentration?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 3:18 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 3:18 PM

Second that request!
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 4:01 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 4:01 PM

I can. Basically you can't or maybe shouldn't rely on others claim's to formulate your own awakening. I never really understood what people meant by that, awakening. But hear I am having walked down two paths that shed light on each other. It was nothing like anything I had heard or said. It also put my awareness weighted heavier on the monastic community.

I have much more to say but would prefer to do it in small segments rather than make one huge blurb.

...it was like I was on a path and the path ended.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 4:06 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 4:06 PM

Concentration is good until you have enough insight. Then you can throw the whole affair in the garbageĀ 
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 4:09 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/7/20 4:09 PM

Chris Marti:
Second that request!

I was motivated by fear. Fear that I would be reborn into the same circumstances as before. That fear is done now.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 7/8/20 7:09 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/8/20 7:09 AM

I can. Basically you can't or maybe shouldn't rely on others claim's to formulate your own awakening. I never really understood what people meant by that, awakening. But hear I am having walked down two paths that shed light on each other. It was nothing like anything I had heard or said. It also put my awareness weighted heavier on the monastic community.

I have much more to say but would prefer to do it in small segments rather than make one huge blurb.

Oh this sounds awfully confusing doesn't it?
a my les, modified 3 Years ago at 7/10/20 10:27 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 7/10/20 10:27 AM

Oh this sounds awfully confusing doesn't it?
Yes, a bit confusing

Breadcrumb