Dzogchen Immersion Course

Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/15/20 3:46 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/15/20 3:37 PM

Dzogchen Immersion Course

My other teacher, Mingyur Rinpoche is offering a really intrigiung course, Dzogchen Immersion, which I can't go to because I have not been physically given the Pointing Out Instructions by him or any other authorized Tibetan teacher. But I do encourage you to go if you meet the Preliminaries. You have to me  a member of Tergar's Vajarana Online which is ultra cheap at $25 a month.

Dzogchen is considered the highest and most profound form of meditation in the Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism. Its teachings lay out a path of meditation that reveals the pure, nondual awareness – or rigpa – that is the mind’s true nature. Once recognized, the experience of rigpa radically transforms our experience of thoughts, emotions, perception, fundamentally changing the way we see ourselves and relate to the world.In this Dzogchen immersion course, we will explore the view and practice of Dzogchen, from an initial overview of its unique lineage and preparatory practices, to in-depth instructions on the recognition of pure awareness and how to sustain that recognition and discover liberation.The course will focus on a famed set of Dzogchen teachings known as The Three Words that Strike the Vital Point, perhaps the most well-known and cherished instructions on the art of recognizing pure awareness. We will explore these teachings step-by-step, exploring a range of instructions and teachings from both classical and contemporary teachers.Who can take this course?The prerequisites for joining the online Dzogchen immersion course are:
  • Option 1: Attended any Tergar Path of Liberation retreat with Mingyur Rinpoche or Khenpo Kunga.
  • Option 2: Received ngondro transmission and nature of mind pointing out from a qualified lineage holder, and have at least 5 years of regular meditation practice.
To verify that you meet the prerequisites and join the course, please fill out this form:Dzogchen Immersion qualificationQuestions about the prerequisites? Contact study@tergar.org.

What is included in this course?

• Weekly audio and video teachings from Mingyur Rinpoche, with video subtitles and transcripts
  • Live monthly webinars with Mingyur Rinpoche, Tsoknyi Rinpoche, and Khenpo Kunga
  • Interviews with leading western Dzogchen scholars and practitioners - Anne Klein, Erik Pema Kunsang, Matthieu Ricard, Marcia Schmidt, and others
  • Regular live sessions with Tergar Instructors Cortland Dahl and Tim Olmsted
  • Weekly readings on the practice of Dzogchen from a range of modern and classical lineage masters
  • Optional personal practice interviews with the Tergar Instructors
  • A range of resources for Dzogchen, including additional teachings, practice workbooks, and more
  • A forum to discuss practice and ask questions
What topics are covered in this course?

• The Dzogchen lineage and the lives of great historical and contemporary masters
  • The unique Dzogchen preparatory practices, such as the vajra stance and Dzogchen analytical meditation
  • The view, meditation, and application of Trekchӧ, or “breakthrough,” one of the most important styles of Dzogchen practice
  • The Dzogchen approach to pointing out rigpa, or pure, nondual awareness
  • How to strengthen recognition through sky-gazing and other meditation practices
  • Key points on integrating pure awareness with everyday life
Course TextsFour books will be referred to throughout the course. The instructors recommend that you purchase these texts in print or ebook editions:Primordial Purity: Oral Instructions on the Three Words That Strike the Vital Point
by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Quintessential Dzogchen: Confusion Dawns as Wisdom by Tulku UrgyenPerfect Clarity: A Tibetan Buddhist Anthology of Mahamudra and Dzogchen by Marcia Binder SchmidtVajra Heart Revisited: Teachings on the Path of Trekcho by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche (Note: this new book will be released by Rangjung Yeshe Publications on September 15)Course ModulesThe Dzogchen course will launch with welcomes and introductions from the instructors on August 15. The first module of the course will be available on September 1 and a new module will be launched each month until March 2021.Module 1: An Overview of the Great PerfectionModule 2: The Dzogchen LineageModule 3: The Dzogchen PreliminariesModule 4: Recognize Your True NatureModule 5: Decide on One PointModule 6: Gain Confidence in LiberationCourse WorkbookCourse workbooks are made available in pdf format for each module as they are released throughout the course.How do I join this course?If you are reading this page, you are already subscribed to Vajrayana Online but  you will need meet the prerequisites for the course. Keeping an active monthly subscription during the tenure of the course means that you will have access to all the teaching and materials.To verify that you meet the prerequisites and join the course, please fill out this form:Dzogchen Immersion qualificationIf you have questions about your subscription, contact us at TLCsupport@tergar.org. Questions about the prerequisites? Contact study@tergar.org.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 12:02 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 12:02 PM

RE: Dzogchen Immersion Course

124 reads. No comments? Are people familiar with the book choices?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 12:45 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 12:45 PM

I'm sure it's not personal, Sam. Sometimes a topic resonates, sometimes not. Those that resonate tend to be conversational, if not even a bit controversial.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 12:47 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 12:47 PM

Thanks Chris. emoticon
thumbnail
mrdust, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 1:21 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 1:21 PM

Thanks for sharing. I also don't qualify emoticon  I've read some of Quintessential Dzogchen and found it interesting.  Curious about the Trekcho book, though not sure how much value there is in that kind of thing without instruction.

Looks like Mingyur had some online retreats recently that may have served as prerequisites? Nothing obvious in the pipeline, unfortunately.  https://tergar.org/mingyur-rinpoches-schedule/

Keen to do a retreat with him one day, I'm kind of on the fence about getting involved with Tergar as I feel like the really big organizations lack individual instruction. I've also heard the in-person retreats with Mingyur are massive affairs -- who knows when those will come back.
thumbnail
mrdust, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 1:31 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 1:31 PM

Actually, looks like the only way in is via an in-person retreat.

Introduction to nature of mind must be given in person, as Mingyur Rinpoche says, with a "living teacher, living heartbeat." If you are interested in entering the Path of Liberation, please plan to attend an in-person level 1 and 2 retreat when we are able to offer it again. [link]

Even if he's 50 meters away and there are 350 meditators sitting between you and him emoticon
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 1:40 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 1:40 PM

mrdust:
Actually, looks like the only way in is via an in-person retreat.

Introduction to nature of mind must be given in person, as Mingyur Rinpoche says, with a "living teacher, living heartbeat." If you are interested in entering the Path of Liberation, please plan to attend an in-person level 1 and 2 retreat when we are able to offer it again.

Even if he's 50 meters away and there are 350 meditators sitting between you and him emoticon
Yes, as many traditional Dzogchen teachers do, he requires you to get the pointing out instructions directly from him. I know it sound like a lot of people but his six primary teachers are excellent and compliment him well. And you get to take as many Vajrayana courses as you want for that $25/month. Usually Rinpoche gives th evideo lectures and zoom calls and his instructors fill in the rest. 
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 2:01 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 2:01 PM

I just bought these books because I admire Talku Urygen Rinpoche's writing so much:

Quintessential Dzogchen: Confusion Dawns as Wisdom by Tulku UrgyenPerfect Clarity: A Tibetan Buddhist Anthology of Mahamudra and Dzogchen by Marcia Binder Schmidt
thumbnail
Jarrett, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 2:37 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 2:37 PM

i also don't qualify.

for anyone interested in mahamudra, i've been doing zoom sessions with two fantastic lamas. lama rod owens and lama justin von bujdoss.

they founded a community called bhumisparsha.

fridays, lama justin gives dharma talk and q&a about mahamudra,
sundays, lama rod leads people in a mahamudra practice session.

https://www.bhumisparsha.org/events?view=calendar&month=08-2020

thumbnail
This very moment, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 2:42 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 2:42 PM

I would love to do just this course.   But you have to do like three other courses ( foundations), then go on a retreat with him for a week and get pointing out instructions.... then you qualify for this training.   He requires Ngondro too.  So you are a few years into the "program"  to get to the point you can do this training.   This is a pragmatic forum, people want the teachings now, without any secret $%^crap. They don't want somebody telling them they are or are not qualified to get those teachings.   Tibetan buddhism is, for the most part, intermediary dependent.   ( guru ).  This is why you probably didn't get much of a response. 
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 2:49 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/17/20 2:49 PM

Jarrett:
i also don't qualify.

for anyone interested in mahamudra, i've been doing zoom sessions with two fantastic lamas. lama rod owens and lama justin von bujdoss.

they founded a community called bhumisparsha.

fridays, lama justin gives dharma talk and q&a about mahamudra,
sundays, lama rod leads people in a mahamudra practice session.

https://www.bhumisparsha.org/events?view=calendar&month=08-2020

This isi usefull information. Thanks!
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/18/20 12:59 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/18/20 12:59 PM

Also, forgetting the class but if you are really  interested in the subject matter, my Buddadharma magazine just came with an article form the master himself, Talku Urygen Rinpoche, Comparing Mahamudra and Dzogchen.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/18/20 1:12 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/18/20 1:12 PM

FWIW, there is now some fierce complaining and debate on the prequisites from tergar's own members on the mailing lists. People are bitter.

Breadcrumb