DhO Upgrade happening now! Stop posting until complete.

General

Dear All, The remarkable Manish is about to backup and upgrade Liferay to Liferay 7. This is the fundamental platform on which the DhO runs. As such, anything posted from about now (January 23, Saturday, at around noon Central Time) will likely be lost until the upgrade is complete. Thus, stop posting anything you wish to last now until this is done! Thanks! -Daniel, Owner of the DhO

Message Boards Message Boards

Insight and Wisdom

Using sound as primary object instead of rising and falling of the abdomen?

Toggle
Hey y'all,

I currently have a muscle strain in my chest which causes great disturbance when focusing my awareness on the breath as a primary object.  Can using sounds, for example the sound of my fan be used as the primary object for my noting practice for a temporary period of time?  Thanks.

RE: Using sound as primary object instead of rising and falling of the abdo
Answer
9/8/20 7:40 AM as a reply to Brad John Turner.
Sound? Of course. I used sound as my primary object a lot in my early practice, but any obvious object can serve as your primary object. I say obvious because you want to be able to see it clearly as it arises and passes in attention.

RE: Using sound as primary object instead of rising and falling of the abdo
Answer
9/8/20 8:10 AM as a reply to Brad John Turner.
Sound, a fan, is okay but human voices speaking a language you understand (people, tv, radio, singing ) is not a good choice because the meaning of the words will be a distraction and cause your mind to wander.

Announcements Announcements