Circe by Madeline Miller: Realms!

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 3 Years ago at 9/19/20 6:39 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/19/20 6:39 PM

Circe by Madeline Miller: Realms!

I have had to do a lot of long-distance driving recently, so finished the audiobook of Circe, by Madeline Miller, and found it a remarkable treatment of the realms, particularly those of the Asuras (warring, jealous gods), humans, and animals.

There is even a hint of the high gods, represented by the ancient sea creature Trigon, who has something of that high god quality, far removed from even the struggles of the Asuras (like Zeus, etc.).

It is also a really fun story and has a lot that is good about witchcraft in it.

Enjoy!

Daniel
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 9/20/20 7:40 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/20/20 7:40 AM

RE: Circe by Madeline Miller: Realms!

Started listening @ https://tokybook.com/circe/ and I am at chapter 12.
Quite an interesting book. I like it.

thank you
thumbnail
Jano Pavuk, modified 3 Years ago at 9/23/20 4:00 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/23/20 4:00 AM

In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child--not powerful, like her  father, nor viciously alluring like her mother.

Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess
power--the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves.Threatened, Zeus banishes her to a deserted island, where she hones her occult craft, tames wild beasts and crosses paths with many of the most famous figures in all of mythology, including the Minotaur, Daedalus and his doomed son Icarus, the murderous Medea, and, of course, wily Odysseus.

But there is danger, too, for a woman who stands alone, and Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the  Olympians. To protect what she loves most, Circe must summon all her  strength and choose, once and for all, whether she belongs with the gods
she is born from, or the mortals she has come to love.

With unforgettably vivid characters, mesmerizing language and  page-turning suspense, Circe is a triumph of storytelling, an  intoxicating epic of family rivalry, palace intrigue, love and loss, as  well as a celebration of indomitable female strength in a man's world.
thumbnail
Jano Pavuk, modified 3 Years ago at 9/27/20 10:05 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/27/20 10:05 AM

Circe challenging Trygon...

My stomach churned against itself. “Please. Do not make me do this.”

Make you? Child, you have come to me.

I could not feel the knife handle in my hand. I could not feel anything. My son seemed distant as the sky. I lifted the blade, touched its tip to the creature’s skin. It tore as flowers tear, ragged and easy. The golden ichor welled up, drifting over my hands. I remember what I thought: surely, I am condemned for this. I can craft all the spells I want, all the magic spears. Yet I will spend the rest of my days watching this creature bleed.

The last shred of skin parted. The tail came free in my hand. It was nearly weightless, and up close there was a quality to it almost like iridescence. “Thank you,” I said, but my voice was air.

I felt the currents move. The grains of sand whispered against each other. His wings were lifting. The darkness around us shimmered with clouds of his gilded blood. Beneath my feet were the bones of a thousand years.

I thought: I cannot bear this world a moment longer.

Then, child, make another.

He glided off into the dark, trailing a ribbon of gold behind him.

thumbnail
Jano Pavuk, modified 3 Years ago at 9/28/20 5:22 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/28/20 5:22 AM

...ad witchcraft...

could somebody with experience recommend a quality resource on herbal witchcraft with herbs growing in Europe?

Much appreciated

Breadcrumb