RE: U.S. Monastery Open During Covid Pandemic

thumbnail
ivory, modified 3 Years ago at 9/23/20 7:48 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/23/20 7:47 PM

U.S. Monastery Open During Covid Pandemic

Hey all,
I'm in the process of changing careers and have a window of opportunity where I am able to take some time off before transitioning into the next chapter of my life.

That said, I would like to stay at a monastery for a year or two to really immerse myself and deepen my practice.

I realize this may be a shot in the dark, but do any of you know of any monasteries that might have residency programs accessible during the pandemic? Ideally I'd find a monastery in California so I can maintain residency here (I don't want to have to pay out of state tuition when I go back to school). But I may be open to other monasteries throughout the country or perhaps even in another country.

If any of you have any ideas I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 9/23/20 7:56 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/23/20 7:55 PM

https://www.monasticacademy.com/

They have a location in Oakland & are open for applications right now.  But Soryu Forall said in an interview recently that they won't accept new residents until 2021 or later because of a large waitlist of application.  Would be worth applying regardless to find out the wait time.
Brandon Whited, modified 3 Years ago at 9/23/20 8:33 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/23/20 8:33 PM

I've been looking for a place that does 10 day vipassana retreats.

But most of them are closed due to Covid.

I'll ask in this thread, does anyone know one open near New Jersey?
thumbnail
ivory, modified 3 Years ago at 9/24/20 9:30 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/24/20 9:30 AM

Thanks Noah! I just applied. It will be interesting to hear back from them. I'm not going to put all of my eggs in one basket so I'm hoping some others will chime in with some ideas.

Breadcrumb