What is there INSTEAD?

Simon L, modified 12 Years ago at 8/17/11 3:00 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 8/17/11 3:00 PM

What is there INSTEAD?

Hi folks,

Just had a huge realization.

People object to there being no feelings of love. No feelings of friendship. No feelings of sexual attraction, etc...

And this is where they get stuck. They object and move away.

But the big question is, given that those things aren't there...

What is there INSTEAD in AF?

I've read about Richard talking about actual intimacy that is there instead of friendship/love, that far surpasses those feelings of friendship/love.

In AF you lose a lot of things. But my impression is that the functioning you get in return is far more worthwhile than the human condition feelings. They may seem strange to others, but once operating at the AF level it makes sense.

I base this on the time I spent with my dad today. I love my dad. I also kept doing my practice.

At one point I looked at my dad from a PCE perspective and he was far more beautiful than any love could give. It was pure, that's the best way to put it.

So my realization was that the substitute for everything is there in AF.

Which means that... Now I'm going for it! emoticon
thumbnail
#1 - 0, modified 12 Years ago at 8/17/11 6:38 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 8/17/11 6:38 PM

RE: What is there INSTEAD?

Simon L:
Hi folks,

Just had a huge realization.

People object to there being no feelings of love. No feelings of friendship. No feelings of sexual attraction, etc...

And this is where they get stuck. They object and move away.

But the big question is, given that those things aren't there...

What is there INSTEAD in AF?

I've read about Richard talking about actual intimacy that is there instead of friendship/love, that far surpasses those feelings of friendship/love.

In AF you lose a lot of things. But my impression is that the functioning you get in return is far more worthwhile than the human condition feelings. They may seem strange to others, but once operating at the AF level it makes sense.

I base this on the time I spent with my dad today. I love my dad. I also kept doing my practice.

At one point I looked at my dad from a PCE perspective and he was far more beautiful than any love could give. It was pure, that's the best way to put it.

So my realization was that the substitute for everything is there in AF.

Which means that... Now I'm going for it! emoticon

Banal "real-world" human love sees everyone in the light of GIVE and TAKE.
Actuality shows everyone the truth of everyone and everything: innocence.
Felipe C, modified 12 Years ago at 8/17/11 11:24 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 8/17/11 11:24 PM

RE: What is there INSTEAD?

I remembered an episode from a podcast called 'Audiodharma', when the speaker, Gil Fronsdal, said that if you are in the beach but suddenly get into an argument with someone, you stop to be aware of the scene... the sensation of the breeze, the salty smell, the wave's sounds, and you narrow your attention to a single experience. You just focus on the argument, your opponent and the way to win it, losing perspective.

That example was powerful to me because of the power of the image of a beach. Something conventionally seen as rich, relaxing, clear, open just gets lost in the perception of one human being experimenting feelings like that.

So, I guess it's useful to contemplate that feelings limit the experience qualitatively {a certain mood coloring and filtering the actual world} and quantitatively {the range of the perception of the actual world gets extremely reduced to a single object or subject}

Cheers emoticon