Can meditation solve my problem? If so, which kind?

Kevin, modified 3 Years ago at 1/2/21 7:21 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/2/21 7:21 PM

Can meditation solve my problem? If so, which kind?

So I have a problem with interacting with people. My interaction is always heavily automatic and I feel like I don't have space to actually think on my feet and give a fresh response. Before I've even mentally registered what they've said, I've already auto-responded and it's too late to change my response.

I always think of what I want to say after the interaction is over. I'll be like "Wow, when he said X I really wish I said Y" but I never think of saying Y until afterwards.

Is there any way to solve this with meditation? If so, which kind? Would be great to hear from people who've dealt with similar problems.

Thank you
thumbnail
Helen Pohl, modified 3 Years ago at 1/3/21 3:27 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/3/21 3:27 AM

RE: Can meditation solve my problem? If so, which kind?

I'd say yes, it can help solve it. In my experience meditation can make the gap between what you hear being said and what you choose to reply more visible to you, and perhaps sort of prolong it, so that you with time have a little longer to formulate a response. Just an effect of better mindfulness, I guess.

Are you, by any chance, an introvert? It seems that it's more common for us to have trouble coming up with something good to say in the moment and it can lead to those "why didn't I say *that* when I had the chance?"-type thoughts. Apparently something to do with the pathways in the brain being slightly different compared to extroverts, IIRC.
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 1/3/21 4:16 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/3/21 4:16 AM

RE: Can meditation solve my problem? If so, which kind?

Hi Kevin, and welcome to DhO.

Are you practicing any kind of meditation at present? Have you had any practice in the past?

Breadcrumb