Getting Started with Magick

thumbnail
Brato Ganibe, modified 3 Years ago at 1/7/21 10:59 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/7/21 10:59 AM

Getting Started with Magick

Does anyone have any recommendations for books or other resources for someone interested in learning about magick, especially styles that may be more complimentary to an already established Buddhist insight practice? Thanks!
Hector L, modified 3 Years ago at 1/7/21 8:10 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/7/21 8:10 PM

RE: Getting Started with Magick

I believe these might have been mentioned in MTCB2:
Modern Magick
A
dvanced Magick for beginners

I
 also enjoyed

Trance-Portation: Learning to navigate the inner world

The fire kasina website also feels a bit similar at least when I ran the program I got interesting effects
thumbnail
Hac Phi^2 Vita, modified 3 Years ago at 1/7/21 9:39 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/7/21 9:39 PM

Brato Ganibe:
Does anyone have any recommendations for books or other resources for someone interested in learning about magick, especially styles that may be more complimentary to an already established Buddhist insight practice? Thanks!
Strangely, my best recommendation for how to get properly going with magick is a comic book; Promethea.

Promethea is written as a story with a narrative, and the story itself is compelling and the artwork is absolutely stunning. However, it also offers up a really nice intorduction to a bunch of different aspects of magick. In terms of it's magick content I think it might best be viewed as something of a sampler plate, or a primer. However, even for those already familiar with the content it might be a really nice refresher, and it also provides a really good study tool and memory help as the gorgeous illustrations is really helpful for downloading vast amounts of information into one's mind.

A couple of fair warnings, though. The series, while it deals to some extent with tantra and some related subjects, focuses quite heavily on hermetic magick in general and the Qabalah in particular. If you are not interested in learning about hermetic magick and Qabalah, then this is not for you, but if you are curious about those subjects I don't think there is a better introduction out there. The other thing to be aware of is that the view of the Qabalah that is presented in the album rests quite heavily on thelema, or at least the work of Alaister Crowley. I don't necessarily view this as a short coming, but think it might be worth being aware of when deciding whether to use this material as something of an introduction to Magick.
Michal, modified 2 Years ago at 11/26/21 5:39 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/26/21 5:39 AM

Magick is basically concentration * visualization, so if you do a lot concentration work, it should come easily to you.
thumbnail
Cino, modified 2 Years ago at 1/1/22 10:59 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/1/22 10:56 AM

Independent of the school you're interested in: Get a teacher, mentor, or other form of companionship. With the wealth of information available on the internet, it is very tempting to become a solitary practitioner. The danger is missing out on essential aspects, which get passed on between living people, and which are unlikely to transport well via the written word. See below for some advice and warnings about teachers and groups.

The single most important book is your own journal. It seems like a chore, but it really, really is the single most important book in your magickal career, ever.

That being said, here are some more reading suggestions. Again, the essence is in the regular doing, there is no benefit at all in only reading these texts.

For Chaos Magick, I second "Advanced Magick for Beginners". Also the books co-written by Chapman and Barford, "The Blood of the Saints", "The Urn", and "A Desert of Roses", which contain a very good cross-section of actual practice, so you can see how two magicians actually worked for a few years. Follow their example, do the work.

For Thelema (Crowley's system): "Magick without Tears", by Aleister Crowley. "Living Thelema", by David Shoemaker. Both emphasize practice.

For Hermetic schools: Israel Regardie's "The Middle Pillar". Or, if you fancy the continental flavor, "Initiation into Hermetics" by Franz Bardon. For a modern course, "Quareia" by Josephine McCarthy. Again, emphasis on doing the work.

Each of these currents have their own groups, orders, and schools. It is recommended to contact them, they often offer introductory seminars and trainings. However, as with any spiritual organization, do your homework before joining or becoming a follower. The same caveats as for joining a Buddhist group or becoming a Guru's student apply. But don't let this be your excuse for becoming a solitary practitioner.
Ram Subramanian, modified 2 Years ago at 1/2/22 11:11 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/2/22 11:10 AM

I second Advanced Magick for Beginners. It's extremely lucid and practical, and if you follow the completely clear instructions you will definitely make progress. I love Promethea, and I agree with everything the above poster said about it, but it doesn't really tell you what to do, so if you're looking for guidance, it may not be the best choice.

Other than AMfB, my number one suggestion (if you can find it) would be Aleister Crowley's Book Four vel Liber ABA. The best part of this volume is part three, which is called Magick in Theory and Practice, and you might be able to find that on its own as a separate volume, which I would recommend as useful. However, if you can get your hands on a full volume of Book Four, it's an incredible wealth of straightforward instructions, real exercises you can do, and practical suggestions. I wish I had been able to read this book twenty years ago, as it would have changed my life!

Depending on where you want to go from there, I may have other suggestions, if you would like them.
Rousseau Matt, modified 1 Year ago at 1/8/23 4:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/8/22 4:27 PM

Crowley book 4 is a simple read and it explains the connection  between  meditation  ,religion and ritual Magick.   

Breadcrumb