RE: Getting Started with Magick

thumbnail
Brato Ganibe, modified 3 Months ago.

Getting Started with Magick

Does anyone have any recommendations for books or other resources for someone interested in learning about magick, especially styles that may be more complimentary to an already established Buddhist insight practice? Thanks!
Hector, modified 3 Months ago.

I believe these might have been mentioned in MTCB2:
Modern Magick
A
dvanced Magick for beginners

I
 also enjoyed

Trance-Portation: Learning to navigate the inner world

The fire kasina website also feels a bit similar at least when I ran the program I got interesting effects
thumbnail
Hac Phi^2 Vita, modified 3 Months ago.

Brato Ganibe:
Does anyone have any recommendations for books or other resources for someone interested in learning about magick, especially styles that may be more complimentary to an already established Buddhist insight practice? Thanks!
Strangely, my best recommendation for how to get properly going with magick is a comic book; Promethea.

Promethea is written as a story with a narrative, and the story itself is compelling and the artwork is absolutely stunning. However, it also offers up a really nice intorduction to a bunch of different aspects of magick. In terms of it's magick content I think it might best be viewed as something of a sampler plate, or a primer. However, even for those already familiar with the content it might be a really nice refresher, and it also provides a really good study tool and memory help as the gorgeous illustrations is really helpful for downloading vast amounts of information into one's mind.

A couple of fair warnings, though. The series, while it deals to some extent with tantra and some related subjects, focuses quite heavily on hermetic magick in general and the Qabalah in particular. If you are not interested in learning about hermetic magick and Qabalah, then this is not for you, but if you are curious about those subjects I don't think there is a better introduction out there. The other thing to be aware of is that the view of the Qabalah that is presented in the album rests quite heavily on thelema, or at least the work of Alaister Crowley. I don't necessarily view this as a short coming, but think it might be worth being aware of when deciding whether to use this material as something of an introduction to Magick.

Breadcrumb