On Studying Emptiness

Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 1/9/21 1:19 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/9/21 1:19 PM

On Studying Emptiness

I came across this quote, which I find to be true for me, while studying Mahayana View:Emptiness in Mingyur Rinpoche's. Its actually by one of the assistant teachers Tim Olmsted:

"The whole discussion of emptiness is kind of designed to irritate us. It does irritate us. It provokes us. It is uncomfortable. Even the study of it is uncomfortable. To study Madhyamika is utterly maddening. Just studying Madhyamika is about enough to drive somebody crazy. But, we need to be provoked to wake up. In order for us to continue to wake up, meditation is simply not enough. "
thumbnail
terry, modified 3 Years ago at 1/9/21 3:13 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/9/21 3:13 PM

RE: On Studying Emptiness

Sam Gentile:
I came across this quote, which I find to be true for me, while studying Mahayana View:Emptiness in Mingyur Rinpoche's. Its actually by one of the assistant teachers Tim Olmsted:

"The whole discussion of emptiness is kind of designed to irritate us. It does irritate us. It provokes us. It is uncomfortable. Even the study of it is uncomfortable. To study Madhyamika is utterly maddening. Just studying Madhyamika is about enough to drive somebody crazy. But, we need to be provoked to wake up. In order for us to continue to wake up, meditation is simply not enough. "

“What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.” ― Morpheus
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 1/9/21 3:25 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/9/21 3:25 PM

RE: On Studying Emptiness

terry:
Sam Gentile:

“What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.” ― Morpheus

Nice! emoticon

Breadcrumb