Advice for Lost Breath After Retreat?

Nick W, modified 12 Years ago at 9/4/11 3:47 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/4/11 3:47 AM

Advice for Lost Breath After Retreat?

Hi everyone,

I just got back a week ago from my 2nd 10day retreat (u ba khin style) and try as I might, I just can't even feel the breath at the anapana spot at all when meditating. I don't have much trouble as I type this post, or as I walk my dogs etc, but the moment I sit, it seems to vanish.

It may be worth mentioning my homecoming has been a bit of a transition to say the least. Very hectic with kids at home at the end of their summer holidays here in the uk.

Can anyone comment or advise on this problem?

Many thanks!
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 12 Years ago at 9/4/11 10:29 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/4/11 10:29 AM

RE: Advice for Lost Breath After Retreat?

Could be anything. Could be, like you said, you're too distracted when you sit. Only YOU know what's going on inside your head.

You might try clearing your head first before sitting. Spending five minutes or so just clearing all thought from your head and establishing mindfulness so that you can focus on the breath during the sit.

The most important thing is to RELAX. There's probably too much going on around you that is distracting. Find quiet spots and times to meditate. And spend the time before hand to establish mindfulness.
Nick W, modified 12 Years ago at 9/4/11 11:24 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/4/11 11:24 AM

Thanks Ian. Strangely, I don't seem to have much trouble with discursive thought, I'm just finding it really hard to feel anything at all. My attention seems better if i do some body sweeping then return to anapana.

Relaxing may indeed be the key. I've had to quit a few times due to headache developing when I'm trying to meditate.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 12 Years ago at 9/5/11 6:51 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/5/11 6:51 AM

Hi Nick,
since you've done a couple of retreats already you probably have seen how some things are sometimes apparent and at other times not so. i've had this exact experience several times, perserverence and not clinging to 'needing' that exact feeling helped me.

cheers
Nick W, modified 12 Years ago at 9/5/11 12:56 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/5/11 12:56 PM

tom moylan:
not clinging to 'needing' that exact feeling

That does seem to be key Tom. Thanks!

Breadcrumb