Confusion isolating access concentration from the jhanas

thumbnail
Rashed Arafat, modified 12 Years ago at 9/7/11 1:17 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/7/11 1:17 PM

Confusion isolating access concentration from the jhanas

Hey Guys,

I just have a quick question:

Exactly what is the difference between access concentration and 1st jhana? I know it's probably a stupid/simplistic question, but I don't think I've ever felt a "marked" shift that differentiated the former from the latter.

Today, while I was sitting, I was wondering if I was in 1st jhana, or in access concentration. In my book, such confusion is only going to hold me up, and I figured it's better to try and gain a firmer understanding of the two states.

In what I thought was the 1st jhana, I was aware of the process of concentration -- in other words, I could tell that my mind was certainly concentrated (as opposed to being scattered in thoughts and daydreams). From that, I assumed that I must be in the 1st jhana due to that keen, sustained, focus.

However, Daniel talks about how access concentration is something along the lines of being able to stay with your chosen object/kasina at the general exclusion of other things/phenomena. Obviously, there's a degree of concentration involved there -- is 1st jhana merely introducing "rapture" + a deeper state of concentration (that really excludes external phenomena) into the mix?

I think I may have been, as of late, trying too hard to go after the higher jhanas. I think it may be a better idea for me to really, really ground myself -- go for "depth and duration" -- on the individual jhanas, cultivate them to the max so to speak...

Thanks so much for any input!

Rashed
thumbnail
Eran G, modified 12 Years ago at 9/7/11 2:45 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/7/11 2:45 PM

RE: Confusion isolating access concentration from the jhanas

As far as I can tell there are no two teachers who actually agree on the definition of Access Concentration. There's also plenty of disagreement on the definition of jhana... IMO, it's best to let go of such questions as much as possible, especially on the cushion. Stabilize your control and familiarity with whatever states arise, let whatever comes next show itself to you and then explore that. Naming states is not all that important in the grand scheme of things emoticon
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 12 Years ago at 9/7/11 5:51 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/7/11 5:51 PM

Hi Rashed,

I think Eran has offered some solid advice here. However, inquiring minds want to know. . .

The confusion over what is jhana and what is not jhana is part of the reason why it profits one to find someone experienced with whom they can speak face to face when attempting to learn about the practice of jhana. That said, I know from personal experience that it's not always possible to find such a perfect situation. And from there, the best that one can do is to get some meditation experience under their belt in order to be able to speak with some confidence to others more experienced than themselves about what it is they are experiencing and to have some idea about how things go during meditation, and then hope that they can translate the replies they receive into something that they can understand from their own experience.

When I first took up the study and practice of jhana some eleven years or so ago, I had twenty years of meditation practice under my belt as well as having spent 9 years in association with a physical teacher who helped get my meditation practice started and on the road. So, I had plenty of experience behind me in order to be able to come to certain conclusions about what others were advising me to look for in terms of being able to discern a jhana state.

You are probably better off not confusing yourself with trying to discern the difference between what some call "access concentration" and the first jhana until you have more experience in meditation itself. I found myself having a similar confusion, and so I just let it go and practiced and watched what happened, all the while attempting to strengthen my discernment. I figured it would all become clearer later on. And, pretty much, I was right. It has.

Rashed Arafat:

Exactly what is the difference between access concentration and 1st jhana? I know it's probably a stupid/simplistic question, but I don't think I've ever felt a "marked" shift that differentiated the former from the latter.

But just for the record, access concentration is not as deep a concentrated state as the first jhana. If you're in the first samatha jhana (which is usually what everyone who takes up this practice first aims to achieve) then there is a decided difference in the texture of the experience. You will (or at least you should) know when you've reached the first samatha jhana.

I would have to agree with the statement made in Analayo's book Satipatthana where he states: "The issue at stake, simply stated, is whether the first absorption is a deep state of concentration, achieved only after a prolonged period of practice and seclusion, or a stage of relaxed happy reflection within easy reach of anyone and without much need for meditative proficiency." He then goes on to give examples from the suttas which bolster his impressions about the depth of proficiency needed to be able to recognize the achievement of the first absorption in order to differentiate it from "relaxed happy reflection." He concludes: "These examples suggest the that attainment of the first absorption requires a considerable degree of meditative proficiency."

That said, a samatha jhana (which Analayo is describing here) can differ in texture (at least in my experience of it) from a vipassana jhana. One may not experience piti and sukha in a vipassana jhana because the intent of a vipassana contemplation is to gain insight into an object rather than to just calm the mind down. In pursuing insight, the mind necessarily becomes more active while it pursues the object for insight about it. This pursuit can necessarily negate any calming effect (pleasant sensations) because the mind is in active pursuit of insight and knowledge rather than a passive pursuit of calm and pleasure.

But just to bring Analayo's descriptions back into this conversation, he continues: "According to the discourses, one who has entered the first absorption is no longer able to speak. This would not apply if the first absorption were merely a state of calm mental reflection. Not only speech, but also hearing does not occur during the deeper stages of absorption; in fact, sound is a major obstacle to attaining the first absorption. The experience of the first absorption is an unworldly experience; it constitutes another world in the psychological and cosmological sense. To attain the first absorption is to reach a 'superbly extraordinary state.' Already the first absorption 'blindfolds' Mara since on entering this state one goes beyond the range of Mara's vision.

"These passages support an understanding of the first absorption as a deeply absorbed state of mind, beyond mere reflection and conceptual thought. It is therefore reasonable to suppose that, as absorption-factors, initial mental application (vitakka) and sustained mental application (vicara) do not imply full-fledged thinking activity. Rather, they refer to the initial and sustained application of attention. Such application of attention can also take place in the domain of thought or verbal communication, when initial mental application directs the mind toward what is to be thought or said, while sustained mental application maintains the coherence of a particular sequence of thoughts or words. In the context of absorption, however, this same activity is nothing more than an intentional deployment of attention, directed towards the object of concentration."

Rashed Arafat:

In what I thought was the 1st jhana, I was aware of the process of concentration -- in other words, I could tell that my mind was certainly concentrated (as opposed to being scattered in thoughts and daydreams). From that, I assumed that I must be in the 1st jhana due to that keen, sustained, focus.

You may very well have been experiencing a vipassana jhana here from the description you have given. It definitely sounds stronger than a "merely happy reflective state."

Rashed Arafat:

However, Daniel talks about how access concentration is something along the lines of being able to stay with your chosen object/kasina at the general exclusion of other things/phenomena. Obviously, there's a degree of concentration involved there -- is 1st jhana merely introducing "rapture" + a deeper state of concentration (that really excludes external phenomena) into the mix?

If you are in pursuit of the first samatha jhana, then yes, rapture (piti) and joy/pleasure (sukha) are part of that experience.

Rashed Arafat:

I think I may have been, as of late, trying too hard to go after the higher jhanas. I think it may be a better idea for me to really, really ground myself -- go for "depth and duration" -- on the individual jhanas, cultivate them to the max so to speak...

That is probably a good course of action. That is what I did. It helps to increase discernment. And discernment is what you need to work on here. With stronger concentration ability comes better discernment. These go hand in hand, together.
thumbnail
Rashed Arafat, modified 12 Years ago at 9/7/11 10:37 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/7/11 10:31 PM

Thanks to both of you, for your insightful and deeply informative responses! emoticon

Eran, I am unable to shut my mind off when I sit down to do Concentration Practice -- it's as though there's an internal commentator who is constantly reporting on the -- or wants to report on the -- "progress" of the sit. It's as though he's hungry to have a conceptual grasp on the the progression of jhanas. I guess the best I can do is just catch that line of thinking when it occurs, note it, and put my mind back on the kasina and/or the experience of concentration upon the kasina.

I think my natural ability to concentrate is somewhat weak these days because I'm not very physically active. In the past I've found, especially after doing hatha yoga, that my meditations were much more focused. I think with more chi on reserve, my mind would be more grounded in my body, and less prone to fly off to self-critic mode when I resolve to sit (lack of physical vitality can cause an inefficiently overactive intellect). So, my goal on this front is to begin exercising on a regular basis so that I have enough chi to fuel my Concentration Practice -- so that when I sit down, my mind is more concentrated on staying present with the kasina as opposed to trying to intellectually get something out of the sit. I have to remember that it's the experience of sitting that counts for far more than the conceptual understanding of that experience.

Ian And -- thanks again for your clarity. I'm fairly sure that I have the 1st samatha jhana, if at least by comparing my subjective findings with MCTB. There is not much of a "wow" factor -- which I guess you'd call rapture -- as much as there is a conscious recognition of being "in tune" with something -- with the jhanic state perhaps. In that experience, there's a pleasantness that is subtly satisfying as opposed to being rapturous. That subtle satisfaction -- that "groovy" quality -- is what I believe is absent in access concentration. For me, in what I consider to be access concentration, there's more of a "dry" noting experience of staying, or attempt at staying, present with the kasina. There's no pleasantness -- just a continuous conscious attention upon object.

In a sense I feel as though now -- after trying to explain my meditative experiences above -- I have a bit more clarity with regard to the differences between access concentration and 1st jhana, just for my own sake. It's hard for me to continue with a practice if I can't keep track of my progress, for I fear falling into an "altered" state that is far from what my goal should be, and yet not recognize it as such (as something that detracts and needs to be avoided).

And as a matter of fact, that is what I believe may be happening when I reach what I consider to be the "2nd jhana." It's as though the powerful state of concentration upon the kasina that I was experiencing suddenly gave way to a wider and more inclusive state -- but one that has no solidly concentrated quality to it. My expectation of the 2nd jhana is for it to be more concentrated than the first -- more focused, yet the area of focus being wide. A deeper and more inclusive state of absorption if you will.

In the "2nd jhana" that I've been experiencing these days, there's a fairly inherently "pleasant" quality, but it's dissatisfying in the sense that the "rock-solid" concentration that I was experiencing in (what I consider to be) the 1st jhana has become diffuse and not as infused with energy -- not as alert.

However, after staying a while in 1st jhana, my mind naturally shifts to the above state. I suppose I could force my mind to stay exclusively on the kasina as my focus tries to widen/loses its fixation on the kasina, and see what happens...

But at any rate, my current goal is to get as deeply into the 1st jhana as I can -- know that I "have it" and "can't lose it." Only in this way do I believe I will make progress that counts, and is lasting.

I apologize if my explanation of what's going on in my Concentration Practice isn't clear/concise enough -- please let me know if you require further clarification of certain things I've said above.

Rashed
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 12 Years ago at 9/8/11 12:38 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/8/11 12:24 AM

Rashed Arafat:

There is not much of a "wow" factor -- which I guess you'd call rapture -- as much as there is a conscious recognition of being "in tune" with something -- with the jhanic state perhaps. In that experience, there's a pleasantness that is subtly satisfying as opposed to being rapturous.

The experience of piti can be subtle and elusive. I know I had difficulty figuring out what "rapture" was when I first started out. Don't get your expectations up about it. Depending on the method being used to enter absorption, you may or may not be able to recognize piti arising. Don't let that disturb your practice. Piti can actually be only a momentary event. Like the brief experience of elation that arises when, to use an example, you've been walking in the desert without any water and are dry, hot and thirsty, and you come upon an oasis pool of fresh water. Vividly imagine yourself in that situation and watch for the elation that arises when you think of yourself in that situation, and that is what piti can feel like, that brief initial rise of elation at seeing the relief of the oasis pool. At any rate, just keep meditating and looking for the other factors of a samatha absorption, and shoot for being able to go through the first four jhana levels, reaching the fourth which is quietly still, smooth, solid, and gives the impression that you could meditate like this forever. When you get to the fourth samatha jhana, it's not unheard of that you lose all sense of time while you are absorbed in it. That's one of the things I've notice about it. It's hard to miss the fourth samatha jhana, because the experience is so exquisitely sublime.

Rashed Arafat:

That subtle satisfaction -- that "groovy" quality -- is what I believe is absent in access concentration. For me, in what I consider to be access concentration, there's more of a "dry" noting experience of staying, or attempt at staying, present with the kasina. There's no pleasantness -- just a continuous conscious attention upon object.

Sometimes it's better if people had never even been introduced to the concept of "access concentration" at all. People's expectations get all out of whack and they're not really sure what they're supposed to look for. There's nothing really all that special about it. It just means having enough concentration in order to maintain focus on an object for two to five minutes uninterrupted or without an unnoticed interruption. That's all. When a person develops that amount of concentration, they are ready to attempt the deeper concentration levels of samatha jhana.

Rashed Arafat:

And as a matter of fact, that is what I believe may be happening when I reach what I consider to be the "2nd jhana." It's as though the powerful state of concentration upon the kasina that I was experiencing suddenly gave way to a wider and more inclusive state -- but one that has no solidly concentrated quality to it. My expectation of the 2nd jhana is for it to be more concentrated than the first -- more focused, yet the area of focus being wide. A deeper and more inclusive state of absorption if you will.

In the "2nd jhana" that I've been experiencing these days, there's a fairly inherently "pleasant" quality, but it's dissatisfying in the sense that the "rock-solid" concentration that I was experiencing in (what I consider to be) the 1st jhana has become diffuse and not as infused with energy -- not as alert.

The second samatha jhana's most notable quality is a kind of effortless feedback mechanism that takes place, often as a physical sensation. In other words, instead of having to create the condition for jhana to arise, using applied and sustained attention — vitakka and vicara — these two factors fade away, leaving the meditator to experience an effortless hold on the jhana state. The emphasis here is on the effortless aspect of the experience.

I'm not sure how that happens when one is concentrated on a kasina disk, but when I experience it in following the breath, it's as though with each inhalation and exhalation the pleasant sensation that heralds the jhanic state becomes established by itself without my having to fabricate (make an effort to create) the experience using applied and sustained attention on the pleasantness of the breath. When I attain the second samatha jhana, there is a definite "solid concentrated quality" about it. It's like the mind is set (becomes established) in this pleasant and solid state.

From your description above, I'm not certain that I would call it 2nd samatha jhana. It may be 2nd vipassana jhana; but it definitely doesn't sound like any second samatha jhana that I've ever heard described. The second jhana is characterized by inner tranquility and a unification of the mind on its object. This inner tranquility and unification of mind continues all the way through to the fourth samatha jhana. These can sometimes be difficult to discern; but once you've experienced it, it's hard to miss a second time.

Remember, the goal of the first four samatha jhanas is mental quietude (calmness) and inward unification on an object, either a sensual object like the breath or a visual object like a kasina object.

Rashed Arafat:

However, after staying a while in 1st jhana, my mind naturally shifts to the above state. I suppose I could force my mind to stay exclusively on the kasina as my focus tries to widen/loses its fixation on the kasina, and see what happens...

I'm not certain what to make of this statement without further questioning. It could be that your mind has gotten into a bad habit here concerning the method of approach you are using (focusing on a kasina object). In these relaxed states, that is very easy to do. It's difficult to say.

There can be a shift that takes place between 1st and 2nd jhana, but usually that shift is about the dropping away of the effort to bring on the state in the first place — that is, the dropping away of vitakka and vicara. It might be that you are losing sati (mindfulness) when the mind transitions into this state. Like I said, it's difficult to tell from the description.
thumbnail
Rashed Arafat, modified 12 Years ago at 9/8/11 8:40 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/8/11 8:30 PM

Ian And,

I believe I've experienced the 2nd samatha jhana based on your description of it (particularly in relation to the effortlessness aspect of it) -- however, as of late I've been having trouble concentrating, so it's been out of reach. Part of the reason why I've been having trouble concentrating has to do with a lack of intellectual clarity with regard to exactly what the differences are between access concentration and the 1st samatha jhana (I know -- I am one of those unfortunate few who get tied up in knots over this one!). You see, if I "start off on the wrong foot" thinking that I have the 1st jhana when really I'm in access concentration, then it can only lead to further hair-splitting down the road (if only in my own mind) with regard to exactly where I am on the Path. Simply put, I don't wish to delude myself with regard to my spiritual "level-of-attainment" (as much as I dislike the notion of attainments -- I like to think more in terms of being freed of the need to attain).

I actually think I have been micro-analyzing access concentration and the 1st jhana (learning to discern exactly at what point the shift takes place). I think some of it may have to do with not feeling rapture when I think I am in the 1st jhana (and probably actually am), which makes my mind ask the question "Am I still in access concentration"? This puts a dent early in my sit, undermining my sincere motivation to cultivate and rise through the jhanas.

Another significant reason for not recognizing myself to be in the 1st jhana when I am in it is the fact that my attention does not "narrow-in" superbly and keenly upon the object/kasina. I guess what I instead experience is a "jump" to a slightly wider field of focus than what I was in during access concentration, and feeling far, far, far greater stability, and the "power" to consciously focus my mind to the degree I wish (there's a limit, of course). It's as though my attention has finally been reined in, and I can actually control and "energetically direct" it to some extent.

The "2nd jhana" I described in my earlier post I think may be my mind thinking that it's in the 2nd jhana when it really has just entered the 1st (and this was due to my mistaking access concentration to be 1st jhana). At least this is the only reasonable explanation that I could come up with for myself... So, I think what I should be doing is deliberately concentrating upon the "new" kasina -- essentially a slightly larger field of vision than what I started out with when I sat down to meditate -- which is "introduced" during the jump from a.c. (I'm getting tired of retyping "access concentreation" emoticon ) to 1st jhana. I need to stop looking for effortlessness to occur -- it can't because I'm in the 1st and not 2nd -- and instead really focus on the sustained concentration aspect of it.

At any rate, just keep meditating and looking for the other factors of a samatha absorption, and shoot for being able to go through the first four jhana levels, reaching the fourth which is quietly still, smooth, solid, and gives the impression that you could meditate like this forever. When you get to the fourth samatha jhana, it's not unheard of that you lose all sense of time while you are absorbed in it. That's one of the things I've notice about it. It's hard to miss the fourth samatha jhana, because the experience is so exquisitely sublime.

Thank you so much for the above advice! It's given me much-needed motivation to pursue my Concentration Practice with greater diligence!

As an afterthought, someone else (on a different thread) spoke of the value of using "a conservative approach." I think I could benefit noticeably from such an attitude -- I think my practice is more likely to deepen when I'm using a cautious approach that tends to err on the side of me having a little less than I think I do.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 12 Years ago at 9/9/11 12:14 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/9/11 12:12 AM

Rashed, you are your own worst enemy in this. I think you know that, but sometimes it's best to hear it from someone else.

You just need to relax, settle down, and just enjoy the meditation sit. By relax I mean stop pressuring yourself to KNOW where you are at during meditation and just try to enjoy the act itself for what it is. You seem to be making way too big a deal about this. Chill out and stop expecting so much out of yourself. There's plenty of time AFTER the sit to review where you were DURING the sit. If you really want to make progress with this, you've got to put all that other stuff out of your mind and just pursue the CALM and the STILLNESS of meditation. Make those your goal and it may surprise you what you are able to achieve and recall afterward.

Pick your object and just focus on that to calm and steady the mind. Just relax and LET IT HAPPEN! You can direct the mind right up to the threshold, but when you get there, just let the mind take over and enjoy the ride. If your mind wants to think, tell it NO and return to the object and focus on the calm and the stillness. Keep doing this until the mind obeys! You're so close, but yet so far. You said as much yourself: "I find it helps to bring my attention back on my kasina (whatever object you're using) when my mind is wandering off, or inquiring too much about where I am in terms of jhanas." Now you have to just DO this and ENJOY the meditation.

If your mind is going to travel into jhana, you have to let it do so without pressuring yourself to KNOW what is happening during each moment. You can always review what happened AFTER the sit. But during the sit, you should be focused on just enjoying the sit as you pursue the CALM with nothing else going on in your mind. I think you know this; now you just have to DO IT!

In peace,
Ian
thumbnail
Rashed Arafat, modified 12 Years ago at 9/10/11 10:32 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/10/11 10:32 PM

Ian And,

I actually appreciate the honest and direct feedback, so please don't hesitate in the future to give me more along the same lines (and this goes for everyone else, too!). I'm tweaking my practice based on what you suggested -- and what I intuitively realize needs to happen -- and will post the results of such experimentation on here later (I need to devote at least a couple of weeks to this).

I have decided to meditate every morning no matter what (sometimes I have to be in at work very early and use that as an excuse to rationalize away sitting), as well as worry less about about jhanas and more about staying with the kasina (which is what this thread seems to be about, in a sense). Jhanas will arise on their own.

Rashed

Breadcrumb