Fun Forum History

thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 7:28 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 7:19 AM

Fun Forum History

Here are two message board threads from 2013 that might be relevant to the discussion about forum software and related issues, and a fun read IMHO:

The DhO conversation:  https://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/4650405

And the Awakenetwork conversation: http://awakenetwork.org/forum/2-general-forum-topics/9398-the-dho-and-an-proposed-merger-thoughts

Who's the official historian here? Tim? Noah? Pepe? shargrol? This was an attempt to mend several schisms, make the managing and maintenance of forum software stuff easier, cheaper, and more efficient for everyone volunteering their time and money to the various internet places that schism-ed off from DhO originally.

Have fun.
thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 8:21 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 8:09 AM

RE: Fun Forum History

As long as we put in the time to do a proper migration i think it will be fine.

​​​​​​​Simon, truer words were never spoken!
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 8:31 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 8:23 AM

I just accidentally edited an original post from Simon - oops! Boy, did I mess up this time!

I'm sorry Simon! Please repost your full comment if you can.
thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 8:53 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 8:53 AM

Haha, i think that's why we need to change forum engine emoticon

Anyway, there was nothing important there. I was just saying that i remember that thread and as i recall i was a proponent of a merge with AN back then, mostly due to technical/hosting reasons more than anything else from what i recall.

Nothing much has really changed over the years, variants of the same discussion going on now emoticon

I remember quite enjoying the DhO liferay forum when i signed up, the wood panel (i think it was?) background was really comforting. It feels like the forum (Liferay, not the content) has gone downhill since, so here's hoping for a change to something more likable.

Simon
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 8:46 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 8:46 AM

Chris Marti
Here are two message board threads from 2013 that might be relevant to the discussion about forum software and related issues, and a fun read IMHO:

The DhO conversation:  https://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/4650405

And the Awakenetwork conversation: http://awakenetwork.org/forum/2-general-forum-topics/9398-the-dho-and-an-proposed-merger-thoughts

Who's the official historian here? Tim? Noah? Pepe? shargrol? This was an attempt to mend several schisms, make the managing and maintenance of forum software stuff easier, cheaper, and more efficient for everyone volunteering their time and money to the various internet places that schism-ed off from DhO originally.

Have fun.

Ah, Chris, thanks for this, and oh man, you're right, this is totally fun and fascinating. I think Pepe is the closest to the unofficial "official historian" here, with all his compilation labors and his apparently indestructible patience and humor. This is indeed historical gold, and I love some of what is said about the various cultures at this point in time. God bless you, Mr. Marti, for playing such a distinct and prominent mediative role in the episode. You know what tradionally happens to such figures (if they don't get assassinated from the left, they get assassinated from the right), and your continued survival bodes well for the larger community.

I think I have a retroactive crush on katy steger. Is that wrong of me?
Olivier S, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 9:50 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 9:50 AM

Wow, surprisingly interesting... That total openness and freedom at the root of DhO ... Yeah !

Tim : katy steger struck me as a kind of female version of you, actually. 
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 1/29/21 2:05 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/29/21 2:05 AM

Olivier, lol, for example:
katy steger:

But, really, I like that the call to dharma generally starts in the bottom of the outhouse of the mind-- not pretty-- and that people need to shed some major stank as part of the process. A too-clean and polite and filtered cite can be a put-off/unwelcoming to those of us who start at the bottom of the outhouse, so to speak. A simile could be that one in filthy clothes doesn't necessarily want to go to a sit-down, table-cloth restaurant: one wants the gnarly food truck at first and the grease...a place that looks approachable. Make sense?

So I think DhO offers both that approachability and those glorious, tidy heights...emoticon​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 10:19 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 10:19 AM

LOL @ Tim being the guy version of Katy. I remember her and posted back and forth with her quite a bit when we were both on the board. Super cool person.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 11:15 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 11:13 AM

What's most fun about reading through those two threads for me is:

1.  How attached we get to our habitual "stuff," like message board cultures, asking for donations, or selling t-shirts
2.  As Daniel can probably attest, keeping this kind of shit free for hundreds of other people can be expensive
3.  How these things turn into a lot of thrashing around and never really go anywhere

Now, here's my favorite post from those threads:
​​​​​​​
Jane Laurel Carrington
modified 7 Years ago
RE: Thoughts on Integrating the DhO with Awake Network

From the way people talk, you'd think that a frat house was proposing to move next door to a pair of complacent empty-nesters and start setting cars on fire in the street and throwing old t.v. sets out the window during drug and alcohol-induced riots. Or conversely, gentrifying developers will take over and clean up the neighborhood, driving out all the drunks, panhandlers, and drug dealers. emoticon Or maybe things will actually be fine. Maybe the AN people should bake a nice pie and take it over to the DhO group to welcome them to the new neighborhood. Couldn't hurt. Especially since some of us are the same people!
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 12:46 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 12:46 PM

If your engines do not allow you to set wood background textures then you know they are terrible emoticon
thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 1:01 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 1:01 PM

It was so warm and inviting:

thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 1:23 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 1:23 PM

Yup, definitely warmer than white with blue accents emoticon

The new theme is imho the least of an issue and I actually like it. Few technical issues need to be resolved and it will be imho good. Little sterile but on the other hand topic of this community is vipassana so less thing to note is easier on the brain ;)
shargrol, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 1:16 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 1:15 PM

Chris Marti ...an attempt to mend several schisms
never! semper schisming!

​​​​​​​emoticon
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 1/29/21 2:01 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/29/21 1:59 AM

Chris Marti ...an attempt to mend several schisms
<br /><br />
shargrol never! semper schisming! emoticon
another element of the history clarified: Shargrol the anarcho-chaoticist schismatic many-worldser as the hidden splintering influence underlying the branching of every tree! Who knew?! You sly fractal master of the garden of the forking paths!

Borges, another schismatic:

"The explanation is obvious. The Garden of Forking Paths is a picture, incomplete yet not false, of the universe such as Ts'ui Pen conceived it to be. Differing from Newton and Schopenhauer, your ancestor did not think of time as absolute and uniform. He believed in an infinite series of times, in a dizzily growing, ever spreading network of diverging, converging and parallel times. This web of time - the strands of which approach one another, bifurcate, intersect or ignore each other through the centuries - embraces every possibility. We do not exist in most of them. In some you exist and not I, while in others I do, and you do not, and in yet others both of us exist. In this one, in which chance has favored me, you have come to my gate. In another, you, crossing the garden, have found me dead. In yet another, I say these very same words, but am an error, a phantom."

​​​​​​​and yet you have the nerve to talk about basic sanity!
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 7:58 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 4:41 PM

Definitely not the (un)official historian of DhO, but found this post (right after Daniel purchased the domain name dharmaoverground.org) where DhOers were discussing about which software to use for the wiki section: 

>> I want something that is very easy to navigate, something that is easy for non-techy people to edit and wikify, something that looks good, has no adds, is stable, and fun. I wish it to be available to the DhO community with previous version and change-noting capabilities so that things can't be permanently lost or horribly messed up by some editor. I wish it to be there to build something like what my book does but with a whole lot more perspectives and input. Thus, for instance, one might find a section that looked like the wiki version of MCTB's Progress of Insight chapter, but with lots of commentary, lots of wiki words, lots of things to dive into, build on, link to, things that lead elsewhere, to techniques, to experiences, to theory, to practice tips, to discussions of objects, like an evolving grand encyclopedia of geeky, practical, empowering, community build kick-ass dharma that will help people get up to speed, practice well, participate in discussions here with an understanding of the words we tend to use here, etc. I want there to be able to be discussion threads attached to the pages so that people can debate and add to various points. It would be cool if it could interface directly with DhO somehow, but if not, that's life. I would like wikied pages to be able to have multiple words that point to them, so for instance, "A&P", "Arising and Passing", "4th ñana" and "2nd vipassana jhana" would all point to the same place.

https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/85403 

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 5:49 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/28/21 5:49 PM

I'm just a legal observer.  
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 1/29/21 1:41 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/29/21 1:40 AM

Noah D
​​​
​​​​​​​Yeah, but you know the case histories and can cite precedents.
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 1/29/21 3:48 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/29/21 3:48 PM

Tim Farrington
Noah D
​​​
​​​​​​​Yeah, but you know the case histories and can cite precedents.

One of the main precedents is that a good way to start a schism is to write vehemently & convincingly about a new stage of awakening which surpasses all others that have been commonly discussed in pragmatic dharma circles.  

So needless to say I won't write about my recent attainment of the pure illusory body for fear of sparking a split off message board.

<insert troll face here> (can we make sure whatever platform we migrate to has a troll emoji?) 
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 1/30/21 2:38 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/30/21 2:37 AM

Noah

One of the main precedents is that a good way to start a schism is to write vehemently & convincingly about a new stage of awakening which surpasses all others that have been commonly discussed in pragmatic dharma circles. 

This is why your legal observation of history is so valuable. The more history you know, the more you understand how quickly something as fundamentally beautiful and humanly thrilling as "a new stage of awakening" can turn toxic and ugly if it is co-opted into the same old underlying patterns and weaponized into the arsenal of a New and Improved Anatta. 

Noah: So needless to say I won't write about my recent attainment of the pure illusory body for fear of sparking a split off message board.
Well, if you can have a beer with me in your pure illusory body, and just maybe suggest that you're considering starting an entirely new lineage of human spiritual endeavor that is so advanced that only Buddhas need apply, if they can meet the other entry-level requirements, and laugh appropriately as we discuss the details, this seems fine with me. You concern for avoiding a schism is a very good sign; i think you may be on to something here. Of course, if you're going to start charging money for the unprecedented new dharma (which would be out of character for you, and would alert me to the possibility that you've let this pure illusory trans-buddhahood go to your head), then fuck you, in the most supportive way possible, lol. And the pure illusory horse you rode in on. But no harm, no foul. I basically trust your sense of humor, and of legal precedent here.

<insert troll face here> (can we make sure whatever platform we migrate to has a troll emoji?) 
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 1/31/21 5:01 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 1/31/21 4:57 AM

okay, while we're on a Chris Marti thread about Fun Forum History, here's a gem that Pepe recently turned up, Chris Marti moderating the moderators and finding that no good deed goes unpunished (they invited him to be a moderator, lol). Pepe: "a master class about how forum moderation should be done."

​​​​​​​Closing Discussions - Discussion - www.dharmaoverground.org
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 7:16 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 7:15 AM

Damn, what an asshole, that guy!

Breadcrumb