RE: The Bar(do) of Last Resort 4.0

Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 2:57 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 2:43 AM

The Bar(do) of Last Resort 4.0

Live in the nowhere that you came from, even though you have an address here.
Rumi, in Coleman Barks's rendering

Welcome to fourth incarnation of the Bar(do) of Last Resort. It has moved from its original bad neighborhood---the Dark Night category of DhO--- to the humor ghetto, not because of any particular lightening up, but simply out of compassion for people coming to the Dark Night category, who might find this shit in poor taste. Black humor is an acquired taste. The actual, mythological location of the Bar(do) is just up the street from the sewer grate at the bottom of hell, and like all bar(do)s, it is as close as your next thought, and as transient, dukkha-ridden, and anatta.

This thread also amounts to my practice log. I think the practice logs are as close as the sangha of people living in the various linguistic variations on the nowhere we came from have on DhO to a local address, with the implicit invitation to welcome visitors, and, in my case, as a good red herring for cops arriving to serve warrants. So welcome to this thread, and to tell you the truth, Officer, it seems possible to me that some people just don't get my humor.

If you have found your way here by accident, my advice is to run for the exit door, where you will be given a complimentary beverage of your choice for the wisdom of Not Starting. 

If you have unfortunately Started, for whatever misguided reasons, then better by far to finish, and drinks are on the house until all sentient beings are saved, because as the obviously slowest sentient boat afloat, i am doomed to be the last one out of this bar, and will be tending bar at various points, or at least taking the occasional dishwashing and janitorial shifts throughout, and will be available to serve drinks at any time if i can figure out how to pour them into a receptable that doesn't leak too much, and also not poison the person through unskillful means. I personally recommend getting someone else to make your drinks, as any patron of the Bar of Last Resort is cleared to bartend, merely by being in the place, and a number of these people pour with a very slow four-count, if you know what i mean, and i think you do, wink-wink. If you don't know what i mean, i mean that some of the drinks these fuckers pour . . . well, let's just say a little dab will do ya.

Our present primary bartender is Ludwig Wittgenstein, so take your language games directly to him. 

If you have come here from a purely morbid or personally-skin-in-the-game interest in spiritual carnage and meditation-related difficulties, the free drinks are two for one.

If you have been invited here, that was irresponsible on my part, and I apologize. Have a drink. All exit doors remain wide open at all times, by order of the Fire Marshall.

Practice logs are the backbone of the DharmaOverground. May our practice benefit all sentient beings, and certain mineral formations, and may all sentient beings be saved by the time this Bar closes down. Amen.

If you're here, really, for any reason at all, truly, God help you. Have your first drink on the house.

love,
tim
Emil Jensen, modified 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 3:19 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 3:19 AM

I'll jump in now as it's still quiet.

Tim, may I propose a toast with one of the strongest drinks you have - to having a very weird humor!
I'm by no means sure that I "get" yours, but I do appreciate it. Thank you for that. 

Oh, and may this bar be open even after all sentient beings are saved. I mean, we can have fun after enlightenment, right? Else I need to reevaluate my meditation schedule and propbably take it down a notch.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 3:55 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 3:55 AM

Oh gawd! Can you lads keep it down please! There are those of us trying to sleep under the table over here! 

Jeez ... no rest for the wicked! 
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 8:25 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 8:25 AM

*eats popcorn*
*sips bourbon*
*watches the debauchery*
*cracks an occassional joke*

​​​​​​​keep it comin'
thumbnail
Angel Roberto Puente, modified 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 8:51 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/4/21 8:50 AM

Witty told me you haven't been able to attain good coconuts.  I'll try to find you some good ones. The trick is to watch when they're in complete fruition. Otherwise they dry up and are full of pulp. Cheers! 
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 2/5/21 7:46 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/5/21 7:46 AM

Angel, muy gracias por los coconuts muy realized in their fullness! I hope you did not offend the Coconut Cartel in any way, in acquiring them. Meanwhile, we are having a Bar(do) special on all variations on coconut drinks and eats. Try the Amrita Mojito con coconut, it's the nectar of the gods, amigo.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 2/5/21 7:49 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/5/21 7:49 AM

Otherwise they dry up and are full of pulp.

As I age, I'm finding that this happens to people, too  emoticon
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 2/5/21 7:55 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/5/21 7:54 AM

Hey, Steph, we're honored by your presence! I hope you're writing sutra-esque poems in that notebook. We'll keep the fresh popcorn coming. Are you drinking the Shargrol Whiskey? Try it, a double shot will make you sane. I see that you're okay with Papa Che there under your table; he's on a vitamin-enhanced Elephant Beer IV while he goes through the radical biochemical regime change away from nicotine. 

I've been meaning to thank you for sharing that "Shibboleth" story from the West Wing. I had previously considered that an unredeemable horror from the Judeo-Christian scriptures, a notion rooted essentially in a story of killing fifty thousand people from a mildly divergent culture, in the name of a God whose Name cannot be pronounced anyway, for what amounted to a lisp in their heretical accents. So your take, "Faith is the real shibboleth" was very healing to me personally. Kudos to the show's writers, and all my gratitude to you for picking up on it and passing it along. I mean that shinsherely, no ssssit.
thumbnail
Angel Roberto Puente, modified 3 Years ago at 2/5/21 11:17 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/5/21 11:17 AM

Thank you Tim, I do feel immortal after having a few (dozen) of those mojitos. By the way, congratulations on the eats you're offering.  That new guy you brought in is a legend. I think he said his name is Andhrimnir, I just call him Andy.  The guy is really creative with meat.  I tried his St Johns Bean and Bacon, it had an ascent of hot pepper with a touch of dark spices and was cooked over an open flame.  I felt like I was in heaven.  I look forward to trying his version of Sunyata Sushi.  Look for me on the stools.
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 2/6/21 4:00 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/6/21 4:00 PM

Guinness please. Here's one - you can lead a person to the dharma, but you can't stop them from thinking.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 2/7/21 1:14 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/7/21 1:14 PM

Hey, is the bar showing the Super Bowl today? I'll bring the Chicken Wings! emoticon
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 2/7/21 1:45 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/7/21 1:44 PM

thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 2/8/21 1:41 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/8/21 1:40 PM

Chris Marti placed a fucking barricade infront of the Bar(do) door with his giant photo emoticon Its impossible to post a reply after his post as that photo blocks the entire reply section!  Anyway, our German friends My Sleeping Karma are taking over the 6 Realm stage tonight and they brought us some special drink! They call it Soma emoticon not sure what it is but apparently Gods like to drink it so I thought it could be good enough for us under the table over here emoticon  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvCNqJCattk
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 1:00 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 12:59 AM

lol, i think you're right, Papa Che, that Tibetan singing bowl may be the last word in the Bar(do) of Last Resort. May it suffice for the salvation of all sentient beings, and certain mineral formations.

Breadcrumb