RE: Nimita Needed?

adam Girouard, modified 3 Years ago at 2/10/21 9:52 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/10/21 9:52 PM

Nimita Needed?

Hey Everyone,

Ajhan Brahm seems to really advocate the Nimita to get into higher Jhanas.  I am wondering what people's experiences are on this?  Is a nimita required to access the formless realms?  Is this a definite sign to show one's concentration level?  Thanks
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 3:00 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/11/21 5:56 AM

Hey,

I can only share my view. The patibhagga nimitta (counter image sign) that Ajahn Brahm advocates is a sure sign of deep concentration but not necessary to attain the formless jhanas.

Although ​​​​​​it would seem having first cultivated the nimitta probably does lead to deeper formless jhanas. I have never done so, however.
​​​​​​​
Nicita Dikut Nicita Dikut, modified 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 5:44 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 5:44 AM

Is Assignmentgeek.com scam or not? Get to the truth right now. You'll find detailed info about this academic helper on this website. Click here, please.
thumbnail
Stephen, modified 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 3:52 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 7:42 AM

Hi Adam, this isn't answering the question about whether or not it's required but from my own experience I couldn't get into the formless realms until I was working with the nimita or "luminous jhanas" as they're called in The Mind Illuminated. These don't come into play until around stage 8 when your concentration is really well tuned. When I was working in earlier TMI stages and accessing jhana through piti/pleasure they were fairly weak and I never moved past the second jhana. That's not to say it isn't possible, but the depth of jhana when acccessed through the nimita was a lot more stable and workable for me.
Martin, modified 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 4:17 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 4:17 PM

It depends on what you mean by higher jhanas. For the formless realms (j5-8), no. For VM-style jhanas, it seems to be. Here is a discussion. 

http://rc.leighb.com/more/Nimitta.htm

Breadcrumb