Noting

thumbnail
Eric Alan Hansen, modified 14 Years ago at 10/30/09 5:46 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 10/30/09 5:46 AM

Noting

My preference with my sitting time - when I get up - hasn't changed entirely, it is still strongly samatha with a vipassana spin on it. Characteristically rather than increments breaking up into units and moments, instead moments tend to get welded into oneness, there is a timeless moment coexistent with objective perception of time expressed in moments, and this is very conducive, I find, to getting into samadhi. But I have been listen to and reading all about the 'noting' strategies and today I was on a brisk hour-long walk and spontaneously found myself doing the noting style quite naturally - so this is okay. I had no progress on the cushion in capturing this style, but then on the walk it just happened. Interesting.
p e a c e
h a n s e n
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 11/1/09 2:12 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/1/09 2:12 AM

RE: Noting

I personally have really come to appreciate walking practice, which is really under-discussed. I am glad you mentioned it. I got some of my biggest breakthroughs when walking, and noting practice when walking is very powerful. Keep going if you wish and see where it leads.
thumbnail
Eric Alan Hansen, modified 14 Years ago at 11/2/09 4:58 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/2/09 4:58 AM

Daniel: That was a breakthrough, it was a moment when the 3 mile walk hit a certain place - and I just slipped into the noting. Now, since then, I have had several sitting sessions where noting has played a role. I seems to reduce the wandering of the mind, much tighter control, but due mostly it seems to taking the energy out of distractions by giving attention to them - then when a certain place is reached a more "flashing" or strobing effect aids the process. It seem to be th opposite end of the spectrum from what I have been doing - maybe opposites do balance!
p e a c e
h a n s e n
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 11/16/09 3:27 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/16/09 3:27 AM

Dear Hansen,

Your assessments of noting's benefits are spot on. I really got a lot out of it, and still use it on occasion in tricky spots.

Keep going with it, and I think you will find great benefit.