RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a

NEW SHORT CLIP From Daniel's Q&A Podcast - "DANIEL's TAKE on ANTI-VAXXERS" Tom K 4/19/21 3:04 PM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Griffin 2/1/21 6:52 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Tom K 2/1/21 8:48 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Griffin 2/1/21 9:25 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a David Matte 2/1/21 8:33 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Tom K 2/1/21 9:20 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Olivier S 2/1/21 9:37 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a shargrol 2/2/21 5:47 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Olivier S 2/2/21 5:53 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Tom K 2/2/21 6:28 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 2/2/21 10:58 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Chris M 2/2/21 11:06 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Olivier S 2/2/21 12:05 PM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 2/2/21 1:25 PM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 2/2/21 11:39 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 2/2/21 12:22 PM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Zero 2/2/21 3:16 PM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 2/2/21 12:26 PM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 2/2/21 12:31 PM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Ni Nurta 2/2/21 2:48 PM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a streamsurfer 2/26/21 1:15 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Olivier S 2/13/21 9:24 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Oatmilk 2/13/21 10:34 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Oatmilk 2/13/21 10:34 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a David Matte 2/25/21 6:17 AM
RE: Upcoming Podcast with Daniel. Do you have a question you'd like us to a Stickman3 2/25/21 4:37 PM
RE: NEW SHORT CLIP From Daniel's Q&A Podcast - "DANIEL's TAKE on ANTI-VAXX fifthbusiness Davies 6/19/21 1:42 PM
RE: NEW SHORT CLIP From Daniel's Q&A Podcast - "DANIEL's TAKE on ANTI-VAXX Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 6/21/21 2:47 AM
Tom K, modified 2 Years ago at 4/19/21 3:04 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 4:51 AM

NEW SHORT CLIP From Daniel's Q&A Podcast - "DANIEL's TAKE on ANTI-VAXXERS"

Hey everyone. You'll remember a while ago we solicited questions from you to ask Daniel during our podcast.

We've edited out several "podclips" of topics and questions from the full podcast for easier access to particular interests. I'll add links here as we post them.

Here's the second podclip: Daniel's Take on Anti-Vaxxers

This is the first podclip: "Daniel's Meditation Starter Pack" 

thumbnail
Griffin, modified 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 6:52 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 5:58 AM

Looking forward to it, your last podcast with him was very fun emoticon Two questions: ​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​1) In several interviews, Daniel pointed out that meditation mastery and psychological growth are two different skills, using the analogy of writer and a pianist (and how their practices seem similar, but are completely different). However, in another interview, he told a fascinating story about him being on a retreat, when suddenly his psychological traumas (related to his ER practice) started to clear up during meditation. How is this possible, considering that, to continue his analogy, writing a novel won't make you suddenly compose new piano pieces? emoticon ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​

2) In MCTB2, Daniel recommends a meditation manual called The Mind Illuminated, as a “topnotch” and “excellent” book. Did he change his opinion in the light of later controversy concerning Culadasa, the author of the book? And does he believe that Culadasa’s alleged misconduct can be related in any way to potential pitfalls of the meditation system presented in The Mind Illuminated?
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 8:33 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 8:33 AM

Tom K
We're having Daniel on our podcast again in a few weeks and thought it would be fun to collect questions from this forum. We'll ask as many of your questions as we can during the podcast. 

Just for reference, here's what we covered on the last one: 
Full Podcast
Daniel Ingram Describes What it's Like to be ENLIGHTENED
Daniel Ingram Describes the Meditation Path to Enlightenment

Looking forward to the next podcast. emoticon I do have a question or two for Daniel:

On a previous podcast, Daniel mentioned participating in a 5MEO DMT study at Imperial College London. I'm wondering if that ever took place and what Daniel's thoughts were of the experience.

Also, has his view changed over time in terms of the possibility for one to get fundamental insight and transformation through psychedelics when taken with that intention and perhaps additional supportive context.
Tom K, modified 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 8:48 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 8:44 AM

Hey Griffin, thanks for asking these. Exactly the type of Q's I was hoping for. I was on retreat at Cochise during the time when Daniel and Culadasa were teaching. There were many nights when all the retreatants were joined by Daniel and Culadasa for Q and A sessions. It was super interesting to watch the dynamic between them. With all the various streams of water having passed under the bridge since that time in 2018, be great to see where Daniel is with it all. Thanks for submitting!
Tom K, modified 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 9:20 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 8:50 AM

Hi David, 

Nice questions. Have put them on the list. Specifically related to area of interest, you also find value in having a look at the organization Daniel is spending a lot of time building from the ground up. It's called https://theeprc.org/. Thanks for submitting. 
thumbnail
Griffin, modified 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 9:25 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 9:25 AM

Yeah, it would be super interesting to hear his thoughts on this!
Olivier S, modified 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 9:37 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/1/21 9:34 AM

Hi Tom,

Yes, a couple of questions.

Regarding realization : How does Daniel correlate his four path model and the five mahayana paths, if he does at all ? Specifically, where does he place experiencing and identifying "the natural state" (mahamudra term) in the pragmatic four paths model : third path more or less ? Does he identify the higher fetters as the obscurations which prevent one from just abiding in the natural spontaneity of life ? I ask this, because in his account of attaining fourth path at the end of mctb2, the feeling one gets is somehow different : it seems that the "this is it" moment was a plunge into something extraordinarily differet, a "mode of perception" that had never occured to him before. This seems to contradict some of the litterature and my experience, and it seems like it could be misleading for practicioners. What I feel matches this kind of understanding in my experience, "the end of vipassana", was much more quiet, subdued, profound, yes, but not dramatic in the way it is presented in his story, and was very much connected to both perceptual and psychological understandings relating desire and perception to the felt completeness of the experience - not so much one "perceptual" flip, although there was an untangling, which was highly dimensional. Also, how about the further nstructions, say, things in clarifying the natural state about bringing this awakening into every moment of existence, including dreamless sleep ? If this is unclear or confused, shout out and i'll split it into points...

Related but more technical question : does realization always occur from 'the equanimity ñana' in his opinion, or does he think that the POI framework stops being pertinent after, say, the natural state has been correctly identified ? 

Second, totally unrelated : any thoughts on the possibility of global degrowth and collapse of abundant energy supply in the years or decades to come, and if so, how do the efforts to get meditation studied by mainstream tech science fit in with that ? (a bit tongue in cheek, i'll give you that)

Cheers and thanks emoticon

shargrol, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 5:47 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 5:47 AM

Those are good questions Olivier, and I'm kinda interested in those... but I suspect it might be hard for the interviewer to ask all of that. I suspect you might need make the question into a tight two sentence kind of question! emoticon
Olivier S, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 5:53 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 5:53 AM

Tom, you know what : if you want , just keep the equanimity question and collapse questions. As for the long convoluted series on realization and all that, i'll just make that into an email....
Tom K, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 6:28 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 6:28 AM

Sounds good, Olivier. Will add the equanimity question to the others I'm collecting. Thanks!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 10:58 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 10:58 AM

Olivier: he actually says explicitly that it is NOT a different mode of perception. That's just how we very commonly misunderstand it. 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 11:06 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 11:06 AM

... he actually says explicitly that it is NOT a different mode of perception. That's just how we very commonly misunderstand it. 

​​​​​​​Yep! 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 11:39 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 11:38 AM

I have another mappy question, if you feel like getting into that territory: I have been wondering for quite some time about the cessations from previous paths - if they have a function, and how to distinguish them from a new path moment. My hypotheses are:
a) Yes, they help keep the new "infrastructure" clean when old habits start to fill them up with baggage again, and
b) They tend to have less of a symbolic moment to them, and it seems like they maintain previous developments rather than open up entirely new ones. I'm not sure though. 

I have also been wondering how the suffering door fruitions relate to the equanimity nana. This could be a follow-up question to Olivier's question about realizations and equanimity. The moment just before the cessation in those doesn't seem entirely equanimous to me. On the other hand, I suspect that is sort of a lay-over that I add in retrospect, because I have no memory of actually feeling creeped out while it was about to happen, only an "oh, not again!"-feeling inbetween repeated ones, just before being drawn into the series of developments of having the entire existence gradually taken away again. 
Olivier S, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 12:05 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 11:55 AM

(I read the section a couple of days ago and i'm pretty sure that's how he describes it, however temporary that description might be. That's why i wanted to ask this, because i was surprised to see the moment described like that. Although he then goes on to say that once this got "locked in", after the week of wobble and fall, he then sees how it was actually always like this. ​​​​​​​I find this kind of a strange way to describe the thing, almost backwards, attacked from a counterintuitive angle. There's a change that slowly reveals that nothing has had to change for the change to be what it is, know what i mean ? Then, how can you "fall back" from that understanding during a whole week ? I find it kind of misleading, although i'm certain he's being totally honest in his account. 

So, i'm wondering, would he say about this period, that he kind of missed the understanding and was looking for an "untangled experience" for a week, but then got the understanding and THAT was the actual resolution ; or, am I the one who got untangled, undeestood this to be the nature of things always, and then let the field "retangle" without this shaking the understanding, but actually, this is a shortcoming on my part... ? ​​​​​​​In my mind it's one or the other.

​​​​​​​ That is all. ​​​​​​​Not that it matters very much emoticon)
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 12:22 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 12:22 PM

I don't know if this is a good question (and too long), but I have been thinking about it lately:

Is it possible that the path criteria that most of us find very unrealistic have a different function from how we think about paths? I'm thinking that Theravadans back in the days, and maybe still, were very focused on actually getting out of samsara entirely. From that perspective, anything that makes life meaningful for a human being is a fetter as it makes one less ready to just go poof should the opportunity arise. Having the hots for a partner would be a problem from that perspective. Choosing to get drunk or bingewatch netflix illustrates that one is still prone to choose ignorance once in a while. It sure is possible efter stream entry, but maybe it takes away the results they were looking for, as it allows old habit to go stronger again. So maybe the criteria are not so much a description of results from specific insights as they are recipes for how to put those insights to use in accordance with that ideal/belief system?

And maybe those specific criteria relate directly to the promises with regard to rebirth within that belief system. I can very well imagine that if behavioral patterns do reincarnate somehow after death of the being that was stuck in them, some mindstream might very well end up in "the animal realm" if I die while being stuck in bed with my ipad during a depression, as that's where I would have been at that point. I don't think that a few moments of clarity would necessarily help with that, unless those moments actually made me change my habits enough. 

I think this could be a very interesting question for an interview if it fits in with the rest of the conversation. 

Personally I have come to think that if one really just wants to get out of existence (or of karmic existence) and therefore minimize the risk of having something that holds one back in it, these "criteria" are probably pretty good recipes for accomplishing that. From the realizations of the different paths, I can imagine that a rare bunch who are really fed up with existence and yet has had the energy and motivation to do the work of getting to those realizations, could use them to get rid of those fetters respectively. It sure sounds like a gigantic suicide cult, though (Was it Kenneth Folk who said that? I forget.). Unless the energy released would still get drawn into existence as a resource for beings in more ways than merely physically. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 12:26 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 12:26 PM

Olivier, maybe your long question could be a great discussion question for a thread? 

​​​​​​​Maybe mine too...
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 12:31 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 12:31 PM

A short question that addresses at least some of what Olivier asks about might be: 

Does one attain fourth path through a cessation that directly gives a realization or is it more of an integration that needs to happen? And how gradual can that integration be? 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 1:25 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 1:25 PM

When I read it now, I read it as a description of how he got out of the misunderstanding himself. Earlier, as a reader I got hung-up on a part that actually was still part of the description of delusion. Now I find that he is very clear about that being part of the delusion, and I sort of wonder how I didn't see that before. 
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 2:48 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 2:48 PM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö

Does one attain fourth path through a cessation that directly gives a realization or is it more of an integration that needs to happen? And how gradual can that integration be? 
I remember somethign about doing "cessation" of all the "selves" until none remain. Maybe it was stated differently but that is the general gist of any "4th path" no matter what method and internal technical implementation.

Imho it would be nice to see a lot more time during such podcast allocated to Daniel just talking about this stuff. Things what he thinks are relevant.

Can this be done? - would be my question emoticon
thumbnail
Zero, modified 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 3:16 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/2/21 3:16 PM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö
I don't know if this is a good question (and too long), but I have been thinking about it lately:

Is it possible that the path criteria that most of us find very unrealistic have a different function from how we think about paths? I'm thinking that Theravadans back in the days, and maybe still, were very focused on actually getting out of samsara entirely. From that perspective, anything that makes life meaningful for a human being is a fetter as it makes one less ready to just go poof should the opportunity arise. Having the hots for a partner would be a problem from that perspective. Choosing to get drunk or bingewatch netflix illustrates that one is still prone to choose ignorance once in a while. It sure is possible efter stream entry, but maybe it takes away the results they were looking for, as it allows old habit to go stronger again. So maybe the criteria are not so much a description of results from specific insights as they are recipes for how to put those insights to use in accordance with that ideal/belief system?

And maybe those specific criteria relate directly to the promises with regard to rebirth within that belief system. I can very well imagine that if behavioral patterns do reincarnate somehow after death of the being that was stuck in them, some mindstream might very well end up in "the animal realm" if I die while being stuck in bed with my ipad during a depression, as that's where I would have been at that point. I don't think that a few moments of clarity would necessarily help with that, unless those moments actually made me change my habits enough. 

I think this could be a very interesting question for an interview if it fits in with the rest of the conversation. 

Personally I have come to think that if one really just wants to get out of existence (or of karmic existence) and therefore minimize the risk of having something that holds one back in it, these "criteria" are probably pretty good recipes for accomplishing that. From the realizations of the different paths, I can imagine that a rare bunch who are really fed up with existence and yet has had the energy and motivation to do the work of getting to those realizations, could use them to get rid of those fetters respectively. It sure sounds like a gigantic suicide cult, though (Was it Kenneth Folk who said that? I forget.). Unless the energy released would still get drawn into existence as a resource for beings in more ways than merely physically. 

Great question! Fetter questions may exhaust Daniel, but it'd be great if he could work with this one.  +1
Olivier S, modified 3 Years ago at 2/13/21 9:24 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/13/21 9:24 AM

Hey guys,

I'm gonna meet with daniel in a couple of weeks to have a conversation over this stuff, and thought I would include some questions that you guys might be wondering about which wouldn't necesarily fit a usual podcast format .. Say, longer or more complex qustions.

Linda, Ni, anyone else, any burning questions about more advanced practice, or fine technical points, etc. ? 

(Tom K, if you would like me to start another thread for this, just say the word...)

​​​​​​​Cheers, all.
thumbnail
Oatmilk, modified 3 Years ago at 2/13/21 10:34 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/13/21 10:33 AM

Hey Olivier, I'd like to know if he had to deal with traumatic events and if so, how he did and how it affected him. 

Thanks much, 

O
thumbnail
Oatmilk, modified 3 Years ago at 2/13/21 10:34 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/13/21 10:34 AM

Hey Olivier, I'd like to know if he had to deal with traumatic events and if so, how he did and how it affected him. 

Thanks much, 

O
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 3 Years ago at 2/25/21 6:17 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/25/21 6:17 AM

Got another question for Daniel if he his willing. Hope I'm not taking up too much time for other questioners.

​​​​​​​What advice would you give someone who awakened relatively quickly outside of a tradition and is now feeling a desire to teach others how to wake up, but is faced with the issue of how to go about doing that. 
Stickman3, modified 3 Years ago at 2/25/21 4:37 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/25/21 4:28 PM

Hm I've got a question.
Should the noble truths about suffering be amended to include qualifiers such as "mostly", as it's plain that buddhists still suffer even way down the path ?

You could place a sign in front of a hospital saying it is a place where suffering ends, and it would be true in a limited way, but we know that would only be a partial description of what really happens in hospitals.

The door at the entrance to buddhsim also says end to suffering, and many understandably take that to be a definitve and conclusive statement.

So should those noble truths be taken with a pinch of salt ?
thumbnail
streamsurfer, modified 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 1:15 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/26/21 1:14 AM

+1 for Lindas question, it is very interesting. Also, what is the relevance in spiritual development of fruitions for an arhat?

​​​​​​​And another aspect of this question: In a Theravadan tradition there is a vow that can be done to renounce from all fruitions coming from lower paths until one reaches fourth path. Does it work? Just a personal intention? Or higher magick supported by mighty fully realized buddhas protecting the spiritual lineage? What does Daniel think about that, since I think he also had a strong resolution to get 4th path?
fifthbusiness Davies, modified 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 1:42 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 1:42 PM

RE: NEW SHORT CLIP From Daniel's Q&A Podcast - "DANIEL's TAKE on ANTI-VAXX

Daniel...

So...How goes the overall project here?

Ready to have a real discussion about a few topics?

Best.

That friendly engineer...who still doesn't have any "pesky" internal monologue...

And yeah...Linda...

Anytime you wanna chat...it's been like 20++ years...

have fun, folks!!!!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 6/21/21 2:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/21/21 2:47 AM

RE: NEW SHORT CLIP From Daniel's Q&A Podcast - "DANIEL's TAKE on ANTI-VAXX

And by "the overall project" you mean... what exactly? Maintaining an arena for hardcore practicioners of the more experimental and eclectic kind who want to talk to others about their practice in a nerdy way without mushroom culture? I'd say that goes just fine. You know, we have real discussions here basically all the time. Feel welcome to join them, but please stay on topic rather than derailing other people's threads.

Breadcrumb