RE: Into the Stream - Diving into the Jhanas (Rob Burbea Inspired)

thumbnail
Timmy Davis, modified 3 Years ago at 3/18/21 7:01 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/17/21 12:07 PM

Into the Stream - Diving into the Jhanas (Rob Burbea Inspired)

Hey folks, I'm confident some of the jhana-inclined Dharmaovergrounders here will thoroughly enjoy this conversation on Jamie Bristow's personal experience of the four jhanas and four formless realms but also the intricacies of Rob Burbea's perspective on jhanas and their relationship to emptiness, insight, and daily life.

Jamie is wildly articulate, is the co-founder of the Rob Burbean-flavoured peer-to-peer jhana group I'm part of, and was one of the attendees at Rob's final retreat, which is becoming an increasingly renowned resource on the jhanas.

This is the first time Jamie is speaking about his own practice, which is very fascinating, you may have heard him speak elsewhere (e.g. Emerge with Daniel Thorson) about his work in bringing mindfulness into governmental policy. This one's really quite different and it's had fab feedback so far!

I hope you enjoy it emoticon

There's also a lovely episode I'd recommend with Catherine Mcgee (a co-teacher of Rob Burbea's in the Soulmaking dharma).

You can find the link to the podcast episode here, which will take you towards any of your favourite Podcast platforms.
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1559513/8135921
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 3/17/21 12:16 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/17/21 12:16 PM

I found this a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, it was one of the best talks on the Jhanas I have ever heard! I also listened to the Catherine McGee episode. It seems this podcast is going to be nice and hardcore. Subscribed!
thumbnail
Timmy Davis, modified 3 Years ago at 3/18/21 7:01 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/18/21 7:01 AM

Oh that's so lovely to hear, Sam. I'll pass that comment on to Jamie. There hopefully should be continued hardcore-friendly discussions but it won't be solely that. Generally I'm hoping to explore psychotherapy, men's work, psychedelics, and the more existential territories as well. Great to have you subscribed.

Any particular aspects of the jhana pod that stood out to you?
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 3/18/21 9:10 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/18/21 9:10 AM

I really enjoyed it as well. Thanks Tim and Jamie! I liked the general Rob Buebea vibe and stuff about moving away from striving and towards more heartfelt practice :-) I thought it was a great all-round introduction to the jhanas. I haven’t had time for more than a couple of Rob’s talks yet, so it was nice to have a short overview. Good idea as well to have a podcast more focussed on short practice-based segments, as opposed to some of the longer biographical stuff out there!
thumbnail
Timmy Davis, modified 3 Years ago at 3/20/21 12:25 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/20/21 12:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback, George, highly appreciated! And yep, have had my fair share of striving in practice and do feel Rob's approach can be rather fantastic on that front.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 3/20/21 12:45 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/20/21 12:45 PM

Any particular aspects of the jhana pod that stood out to you?

The bit about that the Jhanas could be used for insight and awakening was one. I'd always been taught that Jhanas were these pleasent, nice to have experiences but were diversions that don't lead to insight/awakening. It looks like that's not true. Another thing that stood out for me is being made aware of Rob Burbea's work and approach with the Jhanas. I read Seeing that Frees and knew him for his Emptines and Soulmaking Dharma work. His Jhana work was new to me. Thanks again!
Sam Gentile, modified 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 3:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 3:24 PM

How often is this published? With dharma podcasts like Dan Harrris going totally mainstream and out of the dharma, there are less and less out there. This is my favorite one. When will the next one be out?

Breadcrumb