Three characteristics

thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 12 Years ago at 9/25/11 1:26 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/25/11 1:26 PM

Three characteristics

I'm thinking I'm in the 3 characteristics but it happened not on the cushion and what happened wasn't quite what I expected. I try and note once per second throughout the day as a normal practice for me. I've also been practicing at looking at when things arise and vanish.

Recently I have been using the Pomodoro Technique for work and you basically time box your work with "X" for each 25 minutes and rest for 5 minutes and continue this throughout the work day. This is more for time management but I use mindful noting to note mental distractions as I get on with work. When I really get absorbed into work then the noting ceases until I feel I need it again.

One day I found my internal talk extremely IRRITATING and OPPRESIVE and I just said "SHUT UP!" in my mind and it quieted down and I just stayed in presence until the end of the day. I felt for the first time like I could "rest" in awareness as opposed to rest in the talking "self". My head was definitely a little fatigued from my conflict but it was nice for the rest of the day. My next mindful jog I did on the weekend I found it easy to be present but what I didn't expect was that my typical feeling of self-image felt not as all powerful and strong as the mindfulness. The chatterbox in my head felt mechanical and like a tool I could put down and then rest in mindful awareness instead. I really feel like the non-self descriptions are making more sense.
It's like I prefer one to the other so now when I do my typical habits of enjoyment I often feel like I'd rather look at the feelings (enjoyable or aversive) instead and be aware of when it passes away. I used to eat a lot of sweets and the overpowering craving now is something I can watch passaway and I'm losing weight because of it. It's now fun to be in more control. As Daniel describes I did get a bout of stiff neck problems but I've never understood what that is about other than sleeping in a bad angle. emoticon
So:

- Irritation
- Non-self
- Impermanence

It could also be more cause and effect because I'm noticing more that I don't surf the net mindlessly like I used to and TV commercials are so bloody irritating. I'm desiring more mental freedom.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 12 Years ago at 9/25/11 10:32 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/25/11 10:32 PM

RE: Three characteristics

I did another jog today (they usually last about 2 hours) and continued to note "flow" for changes and "gone" for vanishings. I noticed that I was in the present moment more often than ever in this run and that phenomenon were easier to note without word labels. I dropped the labels because I was noting faster to the point that dropping mental talk and content just happened on its own. The panaoramic views of the landscape were a lot like I had in the past where everything seemed connected and primodial. Colours and contrast were more vivid but there were still some differences. In the past, the concentration was more smooth with less noting detail (because I wasn't noting any vanishings only arisings). This time when wind hit me I noted more detail about the characteristics of the wind, how it changed and when it wasn't there. My thoughts were treated the same way. When that happened "I" felt a little less solid (if that makes any sense).
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 11:04 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 11:04 PM

RE: Three characteristics (Answer)

Daniel M. Ingram:
Every single moment I looked to the future to find my results and awakenings was shooting myself in the foot.

Daniel M. Ingram:
I don't know what people are doing in vipassana, but if it is something other than seeing the Three Characteristics, of which two are strongly emphasized by the Direct Pointers, then I would say that isn't vipassana, and is something else being sold as vipassana but isn't.

You know what? I think these quotes are pretty much what I needed, thanks for the burritos! emoticon It's not enough to note well and see the non-self it helps to enquire more like "is this me?" while noting. I find it calms my brain more, though I do agree with others that strengthening mindfulness will also help the clarity.