RE: Waking up at night with extreme energy surges to the head

thumbnail
Sasha F, modified 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 3:33 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 3:33 AM

Waking up at night with extreme energy surges to the head

Hello guys, I hope you are well!

This has been happening periodically for a few months now - I wake up in the middle of the night feeling a powerful stream of energy going up my spine into my head. The head tenses up, ears start ringing sometimes and it feels like my head will explode and my self-awareness (or consciousness) will flip inside out and disappear. This then passes and I go back to sleep. 

I never paid much significance to it but am curious whether someone has had a similar experience and is willing to talk about it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 4:18 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 4:15 AM

Dear Aleksandar, That sounds wild. I can't entirely relate in my own experience but those sort of symptoms (strong energy currents, sleep disturbance) are not uncommon during certain stages of meditation. Read this: https://www.dharmaoverground.org/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/AP+Essay+by+Daniel+Ingram

​​​​​​​Also, perhaps you can share a bit about your practise leading up to these events? Like, what technique of meditation you're doing, practise history, sitting duration? ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Peace
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 5:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 5:47 AM

Yes. It's an A&P phenomenon. It's great that you are able to just let it pass and go back to sleep. In my experience, strong energy surges are best dealt with by just relaxing through them without either enhancing or resisting it. I'd say just let it go where it needs to go without interference. I'm no expert, though, just sharing what has worked for me. If your consciousness flips inside out, that's a good thing. Don't worry, it will come back. 
Martin, modified 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 10:34 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 10:34 AM

Yes, similar things have been happening to me, once a month or so for the past 18 months. The last time was yesterday night. For me, this is definitely meditation-related. I don't feel like my head will explode, which must suck, but I have energy racing through my body and I often feel as if I might be pulled apart in a swirling vortex of colors and lights. I find it annoying but largely harmless. If it is really extreme, getting up and having a cup of warm milk usually does the trick. 
Z , modified 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 11:14 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 11:14 AM

Hey Aleksandar, Linda has some good advice above, just wanted to chime in and say this has happened to me on occasion and in my experience has never been anything to worry about. Sometimes there can be some fear during and after this sort of thing but it rarely lasts long. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 12:33 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/22/21 12:33 PM

If you find that it's too much for some reason, Lama Lena advices to have a bear or a glass of wine, or vitamine B complex. Warm milk as suggested above may also do the trick. 
thumbnail
Sasha F, modified 2 Years ago at 4/23/21 9:38 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/23/21 9:38 AM

Thanks for your replies guys! 

Breadcrumb