Parallels With Vipassana Nanas and Shamatha Jhanas

Kelly Gordon Weeks, modified 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 7:27 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 7:27 AM

Parallels With Vipassana Nanas and Shamatha Jhanas

I just reread part of MTCB about the Mind/Body Nana. Daniel mentions a relationship between the Mind/Body nana and the first shamatha jhana. I find this interesting as I have noticed similar parallels in my practice.

Is there more that can be said about this observation? Are the nanas directly affected by the shamatha jhanas and vice versa?

Thanks!

​​​​​​​-Kelly
thumbnail
Zero, modified 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 1:17 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 9:17 AM

RE: Parallels With Vipassana Nanas and Shamatha Jhanas

This post seems relevant: https://www.dharmaoverground.org/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/Jhana+and+%C3%91ana+/en

The Progress of Insight can be divided in four sections. The first 3 nanas correlate with 1st jhana(vipassana/soft/hard/whatever). The 4th nana aka A&P corrleates with the 2nd jhana(vipassana/soft/hard/whatever). The dukkha nanas, insight stages 5-10 coorelate with the 3rd jhana. Equanimity coorelates with the 4th jhana. The coorelation is due to the nature of attention during each stage. 1st jhana and the first 3 nanas have a narrower band of attention. While the attention becomes wider and wider going though the stages of insight(nanas) and jhanas up to the 4th jhana/Equanimity nana with the attention being spacious and all-inclusive. Very fascinating. Maybe this is wrong, and I'm not sure how far to take this idea, but the scope of attention and suffering one experiences may coorelate. 
Kelly Gordon Weeks, modified 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 11:57 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 11:57 AM

Holy crap this is very insightful. Thanks for sharing your experience and Kenneth Folk's article. 
Sam Gentile, modified 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 12:00 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 12:00 PM

> The dukkha nanas, insight stages 5-10 coorelate with the 3rd jhana. 

Kelley,

Zero has it exactly right as my teacher taught me.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 2:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 2:55 PM

Kelly Gordon Weeks I just reread part of MTCB about the Mind/Body Nana. Daniel mentions a relationship between the Mind/Body nana and the first shamatha jhana. I find this interesting as I have noticed similar parallels in my practice. Is there more that can be said about this observation? Are the nanas directly affected by the shamatha jhanas and vice versa? Thanks! ​​​​​​​-Kelly
Check out Daniels site for much fun
href="https://www.integrateddaniel.info/mind-maps">https://www.integrateddaniel.info/mind-maps
Kelly Gordon Weeks, modified 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 6:13 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/27/21 6:13 PM

Mind boggling! Thanks for shairing.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:23 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:23 PM

Might like this video on those same graphs. I was new to video making then, so forgive the lack of editing, was about 8 years ago, hopefully a bit better now.
Kelly Gordon Weeks, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 6:09 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 6:09 PM

Hell yeah! Thanks Daniel!

Breadcrumb