Solo Retreat Advice

Tony Taylor, modified 2 Years ago at 4/29/21 10:52 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/29/21 10:52 AM

Solo Retreat Advice

Hello everyone,

I am going on a 7 to 10 day solo retreat at the end of May.  I have been on a 3 day one before where I focused on concentration and reaching Jhana, which I did on that retreat.  This one will be silent the entire time and  I will be in a house in the woods.  I have been trying to do this for a long time and was finally able to have this opportunity.  I have been meditating for about 4 years now.  I started with Mind Illuminated for about half of that time and moved on to other types such Dzogchen and Vipassana.   I'm no expert by any means but I would say I am a strong intermediate practicioner.  I was wanting to ask if anyone had advice for me for going on a solo retreat.  I want to make the most of this opportunity because I do not know when I will get it again.  I obviously do no want to set up any expectations of how it will go or hopes of realizations (yea right).   Just wondering if those who have done it have any good advice about what to look out for, dealing with progress of insight on retreat , whatever etc..  Anything is helpful.  Thanks alot
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 4/29/21 2:31 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/29/21 11:43 AM

RE: Solo Retreat Advice

Hi Tony welcome to DhO,

There are a few threads with tips for a 7-10 days solo retreat, check with the search function above. Also check Shargrol's general advice for retreats: 

Five classic negative habits that show up on retreat
Pacing is everything on a long retreat 
Tony Taylor, modified 2 Years ago at 4/30/21 8:59 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 4/30/21 8:58 AM

RE: Solo Retreat Advice

Thanks Pepe, I will search it out. 

Breadcrumb