This thing about feelings

Simon L, modified 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 4:54 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 4:54 PM

This thing about feelings

When you push your index finger on your desk, the pressure is a feeling. When you look at something, the very sight of it is feeling based. No one sees yellow exactly the same way.

If you see a tree, you perceive it through feeling. The distinct sight of brown of the leaves in autumn is based on a feeling. Everyone sees that leave differently, based on feeling.

I'm not talking about emotions. It's about how your personal perceptions of things are based on feelings.

Your whole world, every detail, there is a feeling guiding your perception.

No, it's not about your *response* to the input, it is the actual input itself. The way you perceive something is subtly based on a feeling.

Notice something in your environment. I am looking at my keyboard. One part of the perception is that it's black.

Now, pay close attention. I see it as being black. This is based on my personal perception of black. This perception, in it's core, is based on a feeling that tells me "this is black".

This feeling is different for everyone. Everyone sees black differently. This also applies to *all* your perceptions.

So... do these feelings go as well in AF?
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 5:20 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 5:18 PM

RE: This thing about feelings

Well it seems you have caught onto the fact that when "you" reflect upon what is seen and label the object (as keyboard, black, shades of black), that is a feeling. How about when your eyes happen to glance at an object, before the label of that object registers with the mind? Can you pick up on what happens right then?
Simon L, modified 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 5:30 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 5:30 PM

Steph S:
Well it seems you have caught onto the fact that when "you" reflect upon what is seen and label the object (as keyboard, black, shades of black), that is a feeling. How about when your eyes happen to glance at an object, before the label of that object registers with the mind? Can you pick up on what happens right then?

I've had glimpses of this before but they didn't last and I can't seem to get them back. All I have is the memory, not the actual experience.

I know what it's like though, seeing the actual world for a moment, but then feelings come back in.

I can't imagine living in a state where no feelings are present.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 5:35 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 5:35 PM

You're absolutely correct.
Simon L, modified 12 Years ago at 9/29/11 8:48 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/28/11 5:45 PM

Tommy M:

You're absolutely correct.

Haha, I guess I am. Any attempt for me to get rid of certain feelings, result in one thing. A temporary black out (note: not the type of blackout if you pass our or anything, it's simply experiencing nothingness). If I take away those essential feelings, I momentarily experience nothing (which in itself is a Buddhist goal I think). But coming out of it, the original feeling is there, seeming necessary.